Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The need for another corner....

NWSkins

We have 2 fantastic corners in Springs and Rogers. Our depth is suspect.

I think drafting corners is this way to go. Its not something you adress in free agency. Its the easiest position to learn and play right away, according to all recent draft statistics. Also, it seems that when these corners come into the league, they are on mission to suceed right off the bat in this league and the teams benefit nicely. Take the Broncos for instance. Their secondary lacked 2nd and 3rd corners, so they drafted two guys, Darent Williams and Dominique Foxworth, and the results payed off as they went from one of the worst pass D's to one of the best.

that being said, i would be very happy to see us draft Demario Minter from Georgia

or maybe Youbouty from OSU might fall to the 2nd round.

Also, when Spring's contract runs out, he will be a semi-old guy a little past his prime and we would have a fill-in.

Thoughts? Would anyone else applaud the drafting of another corner?

Granted that we get a WR in free agency....

It's a lower priority than a 2nd WR and a pass rushing DE.

Trust me, when we start to be able to get consistant pressure with four down linemen, Walt Harris will seem like a better than average nickle CB.

Problem is two fold.

1. Gregg Williams would rather have the DE's stop the run, block the passes and then apply pressue as an order of importance.

2. None of the DE's dropping into the 2nd round (atm) fit the qualities that we see in GW's choices of DE's. All are lighter than 270lbs and have issues stopping the run.

Not necessarily Oldskool. I don't remember where it was printed, but I recall Gregg Williams saying one of the team's top priorities in the offseason will be pass rushers. I'm assuming he's talking about DEs. Just because Williams has DEs like Wynn, Daniels, etc doesn't mean he wouldn't like to add a pass rushing DE. He did have Jevon Kearse in his rookie season when Kearse was sacking QBs at a high rate.

I would think the Skins wouldn't count on a rookie to fill their #2 WR spot and would look to free agency for that. With the 2nd round pick, I see them looking at a pass rushing DE or corner. Williams D changes a lot when he can't get aggresive with his corner play. I wouldn't be too disappointed with another corner if it was the BPA in the 2nd.

I think its a need but not the most pressing. That being said, I think you will see the Skins address 5 positions in free agency and the draft.\

1. Defensive End

2. Wide Reciever

3. Tight End

4. Cornerback

5. Oline depth

possibly the kicking positions but those can typically be filled cheap.

It is something of a priority but in agreeing with Slateman and Ghost, perhaps it is best addressed through FA or later rounds. Pressure will help and the WRs in the NFC East don't exactly make this a dire need.

ya i completely disagree with the drafting of the same position in upper rounds in consecutive years. We dont have to worry about springs for another couple years and i think we are gonna need to fill our holes with FA this year.

We are gonna need a big impact defensive front four guy or a receiver in the draft. Top priority...

Well, NW, there is this guy we just singed:

Aric Williams, CB

Williams was a two-year starter at Oregon State from 2003-04, earning All-PAC 10 honors his senior season. The 5-11, 172-pound corner signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted rookie free agent but was released prior to the start of the regular season.

but I don't know if anyone's real exited about it...I'm good with your draft idea and getting some young turks in but I'd prefer it to be in later rounds given our other needs.

I'd like to see Blackmon out of Boston College in a Skins' uniform. He is very big for a CB and can also contribute on special teams. He is a converted WR to CB and got burnt for a TD in the senior bowl. He would be an interesting pick up...
is he the one that muffed a punt yesterday?

is he the one that muffed a punt yesterday?

Its quite possible. I only watched like 10-15mins in the 4th quarter because i forgot about it... But i watched it enough to see him get burnt for a TD and watched him make a crazy fair catch with like 10 ppl running around him... heck hes worth a shot!

We need 2 corners and Safety's. Taylor may not be back, Clark wants to stay, but will he. Omar and Pearson are run stoppers. Matt may not return. way too many questions.

Springs may not make it thru season healty, Ade's my man and a great punt cover guy(they just cant seem to stop him from making those plays on punts) but, he really gets beat on pass coverage. Harris played iffy at best.

DB is a big problem i see for next year. Free Agent pickups are a must. Drafties will have a big learning curve. And with out that big pass rush, we will be dead in the water.

No way we draft a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. We have 3 solid corner's already and you don't draft a 4th corner that high in the draft.

I could see us possibly drafting a corner in the 2nd round next year. That would make the most sense to me.

Not necessarily Oldskool. I don't remember where it was printed, but I recall Gregg Williams saying one of the team's top priorities in the offseason will be pass rushers.

He said it after the playoff loss in an interview on the way to the bus and said probably through free agency...or possibly through the draft.

It is possible to have a DE who stops the run AND can apply pass rush.

Any pass rush next year will make our secondary look not just good, but great.

Archived