Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last CD On Earth

jrockster21

So this is the situation: you have been tasked with creating the very last CD on earth. Every other source of music will be destroyed in 24 hours, and you can make one mix (or non-mix if you prefer) CD. You include as many songs that you can fit on a 700MB CDR, so pretty much anywhere from 15~22 songs.

I'm working on my list as we speak...but so far I have (subject to change):

1. Sun is Shining -- Bob Marley -- Gotta have something uplifting if its the LAST CD ever!! This is the best bassline I've heard...amazing song. I want to only have one song per artist, and if I had to pick a favorite Marley tune, this would be it. Although it would be close with Three Little Birds.

2. Red House -- Jimi Hendrix -- Amazing song. Jimi's version is the best one I've heard.

3. No Rain -- Blind Melon -- one of my favorite songs of all time.

4. Jane Says -- Jane's Addiction -- Nice call, RLeVan!! :) Although I can't decide between this song or Mountain Song...or countless otheres! :( I love the steel drums in this one though.

5. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Part I -- The Flaming Lips -- Anyone who hasn't heard this song or haven't heard of the artist (which is a surprisingly large amount of people) should go out and buy the album "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" immediately. You'll wonder about how you've survived without it so long.

6. Rodeo Clowns -- Jack Johnson -- my favorite JJ song.

7. Badfish -- Sublime

8. London Calling -- The Clash -- Great song. The Clash (imho) is one of the top ten bands of all time, but they never seem to get any respect. They are rarely played on the radio (except for Rock the Casbah), which I can never understand.

9. Best Feeling -- Keller Williams w/ The String Cheese Incident -- If you haven't heard this song, I'd recommend downloading it. Its an awesome song...even if its a little "hippyish." It's definitely Keller's best work.

10. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang -- John Lee Hooker -- I love Blues music, and this is one of my favorite Blues songs. Its just fun to listen to! If this is the last CD on earth, I want to enjoy listening to it.

11. In the Air Tonight -- Phil Collins -- Only so that I can listen to it and drum the air when the drums kick in :). Everyone who knows the song knows exactly what I'm talking about...its probably the single most imitated drumming performance in rock and roll history!! :)

12. Over the Hills and Far Away -- Zeppelin -- Honestly I could fill the CD with Zeppelin...but if I had to pick one song out of all Zepp songs, this would be it. I love this song!!

13. Immigrant Song -- Zeppelin -- Okay, so I lied about one song per artist thing...the list is a work in progress. Plus, my list is kind of short on kick-ass songs so far. :)

14. Blister in the Sun -- The Violent Femmes -- Another under-appreciated band in my opinion. A lot of people feel that the lead-singer's voice is similar to driving ice-picks through one's temple, but I love them!! :)

15. Baby's Got Sauce -- G. Love & Special Sauce -- :) This one has sentimental value for me.

16. C.R.E.A.M. -- The Wu Tang Clan

17. Spottieottiedopaliscious -- Outkast -- There are a lot of Outkast songs I could choose...and it may change still! Bowtie is another good one.

18. Tonight, Tonight -- Smashing Pumpkins

19. Goodbye Street -- Hepcat -- Classic Ska/Reggae

20. Its the End of the World As We Know It -- REM -- :)

Burn away!

Well, you done made the gayest CD known to man! You should be tortured! J/K How bout "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"....old Metallica "One" "And Justice For All" "For Whom the Bell Tolls" "Blackened". Sorry if my only CD was the one you created, I would trash it and give up listening to music.

Well, you done made the gayest CD known to man! You should be tortured! J/K How bout "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor"....old Metallica "One" "And Justice For All" "For Whom the Bell Tolls" "Blackened". Sorry if my only CD was the one you created, I would trash it and give up listening to music.

Really?? Wow...it must suck having such poor taste in music! :silly:

By the way -- how about making your own list instead of just trashing mine? That's kind of how this whole "thread thing" works...;)

I love Jimi's "Red House" too jrock. Might have something to do with the fact that my wife grew up in a red house...and her sister's smokin' too. ;)

Anyway, my taste in music is a lot different than most people's, but I'm gonna take a crack at it anyway...

1) Hail to the Redskins -- Us.

2) (Classical, for RLeVan) "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" -- Mozart (I think) -- This is the classic "scary organ music" that's used everywhere. The full version on a real pipe organ is out of this world.

3) "Go Down Gamblin'" -- Blood, Sweat and Tears.

4) "Sweet Home Alabama" -- Skynyrd.

5) "Smoke on the Water" -- Deep Purple.

6) "Birdland" -- Maynard Ferguson version.

7) "Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" -- Toby Keith

8) "Stars and Stripes Forever" -- J.P. Sousa

9) "Jump" -- Van Halen.

10) "Love of a Lifetime" -- Firehouse. :doh: (My wife would kill me if this wasn't on here.)

11) "Belleauwood" -- Garth Brooks.

12) "Who Knew" -- Eminem. (Don't laugh it's a good song.)

13) "God of Thunder" -- Kiss.

14) "Flirtin' with Disaster" -- Molly Hatchet.

15) "Smells Like Teen Spirit" -- Nirvana. (Yes, seriously.)

16) "Rock and Roll Part 2" -- Gary Glitter. (a.k.a. "The Hey Song.")

17) "Sister Christian" -- Night Ranger.

18) "Brick House" -- The Commodores.

19) "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" -- Traditional. (My favorite hymn.)

20) "Devil Went Down to Georgia" -- Charlie Daniels.

That's it for now, but I'm reserving the right to add to, delete from or change any of the above.

2) (Classical, for RLeVan) "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" -- Mozart (I think) -- This is the classic "scary organ music" that's used everywhere. The full version on a real pipe organ is out of this world.

It was actually J.S. Bach but that is definitely a good choice although it doesn't even compare to your first track. Now that is a song for a time capsule.

It was actually J.S. Bach but that is definitely a good choice although it doesn't even compare to your first track. Now that is a song for a time capsule.

My mind was bouncing back and forth, "Was it Bach or Mozart, Bach or Mozart?"

The story of my life is as follows: If there are two choices, I will make the wrong one. :doh: :laugh:

Lame. The guy from Drowning Pools died from listening to his own music.

It isn't a plural, pal. It's Drowning Pool. And if you think that song is lame, then you can enjoy all the R. Kelly and Usher you want. :doh: Have fun.

Do you add ANYTHING to ANY thread you post on that isn't a direct slam on someone else around here?

It already exists. :)

2b983146-98d6-4c25-b039-cea3e03e398f_077774864053_800.jpg

only if you couldn't find this one :D

electricladyland.jpg

Ok jrock, but the I'm not abiding by the one song rule

Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)

Crosstown Traffic

Voodoo Chile

Long Hot Summer Night

Come On, Pt. 1

Gypsy Eyes

Burning of the Midnight Lamp

Rainy Day Dream Away

1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

House Burning Down

All Along the Watchtower

and add

Manish boy- Muddy Waters

The thrill is gone- BB King

Ain't going to give up on love-SRV

It's my own fault- Johnny Winter

Gonna be more suspious- Robin Trower

Whipping post- Allman Brothers

When doves cry- Govt. Mule

What Is and What Should Never Be- Zeppelin

Aja- Steely Dan

Europa- Santana

Going to Mexico- Steve Miller

I'm a man- Chicago

Double Trouble- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Green grass & high tides- Outlaws

:laugh:

I'm sorry, but that's just funny. Well, the first sentence. Lighten up. You didn't include enough genre's, in my opinion. American music is great and all, but you didn't include one song from the Specials, which is arguably one of the most innovative bands of all time. Don't listen to British music? Well, then you have no right to finalize ANY CD of all time.

It isn't a plural, pal. It's Drowning Pool. And if you think that song is lame, then you can enjoy all the R. Kelly and Usher you want. :doh: Have fun.

Plural or not, the music is the same. And Drowning Pool's horribly industrialized, repetitive music is far more R.Kelly/Usheresque than anything I'll be listening to.

Try some Saosin, Underoath for your screaming fix. Joe Pass if you want to hear a real guitar player. Or Dream Theater...Drowning Pool and Metallica both bow down before the virtuoso that is John Petrucci.

:laugh:

I'm sorry, but that's just funny. Well, the first sentence. Lighten up. You didn't include enough genre's, in my opinion. American music is great and all, but you didn't include one song from the Specials, which is arguably one of the most innovative bands of all time. Don't listen to British music? Well, then you have no right to finalize ANY CD of all time.

The Beatles for the win!

Plural or not, the music is the same. And Drowning Pool's horribly industrialized, repetitive music is far more R.Kelly/Usheresque than anything I'll be listening to.

Try some Saosin, Underoath for your screaming fix. Joe Pass if you want to hear a real guitar player.

I didn't mean to be ignorant in any way. You obviously are more musically involved than me. I like stuff that gets me pumped up. I hate the "MY Wife Just Died" Country stuff and I hate the "I Love You so Much" R & B stuff. Totally not meant as an insult to you.

Archived