Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Back to the Future & other movies with holes...

Spaceman Spiff

Back to the Future is currently on TBS...and since there are a lot of smart people on this board, I'll ask something I've always wondered about this movie and maybe we can discuss movies that have holes in the storylines as well....

Alright, Lea Thompson is Marty's mom, and in the first movie he goes back to the 50's and saves the day. He goes to the prom and sees her there, they even kiss. She has that line that's like "somethings not right...kissing you is like kissing my brother...but how can that be?" He sees his dad as well, played by the ever so creepy Crispin Glover. And correct me if I'm wrong but Marty says something to them about "well, maybe you'll have a kid and take it easy on him when he burns the living room carpet..."

Now...

When Marty's parents are in the 1985, wouldn't it ever occur to them that their son looks EXACTLY like the same kid that saved the day at the prom? The same kid who saved her from Biff?

Thats the one thing thats always bugged me about that movie, maybe I'm missing something REALLY obvious here, but it was just on and every time I see it I have that question and look for something that would answer it and so far I can't find anything.

Anyway, thats one hole in a movie plot/storyline that bugs me. Anyone got any others?

FWIW, I actually think there's a Prime Directive of Time Travel Stories: There absolutely must be a paradox.

In Somewhere in Time, one central theme of the movie tracks a pocket watch. Which every major character gets from another character.

In Star Trek: Save the Whales, the characters even comment that they're creating a paradox.

I think people who write these things intentionally put "mistakes" into the stories, so people can "find" them.

Back to the Future is currently on TBS...and since there are a lot of smart people on this board, I'll ask something I've always wondered about this movie and maybe we can discuss movies that have holes in the storylines as well....

Alright, Lea Thompson is Marty's mom, and in the first movie he goes back to the 50's and saves the day. He goes to the prom and sees her there, they even kiss. She has that line that's like "somethings not right...kissing you is like kissing my brother...but how can that be?" He sees his dad as well, played by the ever so creepy Crispin Glover. And correct me if I'm wrong but Marty says something to them about "well, maybe you'll have a kid and take it easy on him when he burns the living room carpet..."

Now...

When Marty's parents are in the 1985, wouldn't it ever occur to them that their son looks EXACTLY like the same kid that saved the day at the prom? The same kid who saved her from Biff?

Thats the one thing thats always bugged me about that movie, maybe I'm missing something REALLY obvious here, but it was just on and every time I see it I have that question and look for something that would answer it and so far I can't find anything.

Anyway, thats one hole in a movie plot/storyline that bugs me. Anyone got any others?

Holy ****! I've never thought of that! I always look for "fake" stuff or out of place stuff in a movie, but that never occurred to me.

Back to the Future RULES. But yeah, I always wonder about that when I watch it as well...I guess you just have to assume that 30 years is enough to make him only a foggy memory. I mean...they see him for maybe a week when they're 18...

I mean, its possible that they could remember him from that time, but to them (totally unaware of time-travel) their son would just resemble a faint memory from their past. I always see people that look familiar, or look like someone I knew a long time ago. :whoknows:

Back to the Future RULES. But yeah, I always wonder about that when I watch it as well...I guess you just have to assume that 30 years is enough to make him only a foggy memory. I mean...they see him for maybe a week when they're 18...

And when his parents see him, they don't see him. They see him, when he was 12. And when he was 6, and . . .

Now...

:laugh: i think about that all the time. it seems odd that his parents can't remember the guy who hooked them up or at least the guy who rocked their prom? "calvin klein" was pretty popular for a guy who spent only a week in the 50s. it seems odd NOBODY remembered him.

eitherway...I LOVE THE SERIES! i don't care what anyone says, that series made mike j fox's career. eff teen wolf and family ties!

Raiders of the Lost Ark: What I've always wondered............

Near the end, when the Nazi's have the Ark of the Covenant on the island and decide to test it out, how did Indy know not to look at it?? He tells Marion to close her eyes, don't look at it.

I've watched this movie countless times and never seen any mention of this beforehand. Guess Indy just knew???

Raiders of the Lost Ark: What I've always wondered............

Near the end, when the Nazi's have the Ark of the Covenant on the island and decide to test it out, how did Indy know not to look at it?? He tells Marion to close her eyes, don't look at it.

I've watched this movie countless times and never seen any mention of this beforehand. Guess Indy just knew???

I've always wondered how he got to that island where they opened it.

He was riding on the top of a U-boat. Are we to assume that the U-Boat never submerged?

Also... on the map in that movie (where they track his plane flights)... you see "Thailand". In the 1930's when the movie supposedely took place, the country was called Siam. :2cents:

Ahhh, the absolute worst plot hole of all time was Armegeddon. . . I mean instead of training astronauts to run a drill, they train a bunch of drunk half schizophrenic oil workers to be astronauts :doh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michael Bay at his finest!! :laugh:

As far as Back to the Future goes, Marty affects the status of his entire family, but wakes up wearing the same clothes. He goes through his entire new life making the same decisions he would have made when his parents were losers. We are supposed to buy this? :)

I love Back to the Future, the second one was actually pretty good too. Third one was awful.

I've noticed some other things about those movies that are a little off but I try not to think about them and it works. I've already forgotten them. IMDB has a section called "goofs" that probably points out a lot of problems.

I thought the third Back to the Future movie was fine. Certainly more satisfying than the second one, which was also a good time despite Griff Tannen being the most annoying character in the entire series -- more grating than Clara Clayton, even.

There is nothing fundamentally flawed about the third movie in relation to the first two. In fact, it's interesting to see Doc and Marty essentially switch roles, with Doc in love and Marty thinking with his head instead of his heart. If you watch closely you'll notice that some of the dialogue is even swapped between the two, with Marty using some of Doc's signature expressions and Doc using Marty's. You still get the Tannen encounters, the chase scene, the game of hide-the-Delorean, etc., etc. You even see the origins of Principal Strickland. And some interesting original stuff, so it's not all parallelism rehash. I don't understand why someone would like the second movie, but not the third.

Anyway, there are plenty of holes in Back to the Future, and in all time travel movies. But how the hell should we know what's a hole or not? I know I have no personal time travel knowledge upon which to base any assessment of a movie's accuracy.

Wow. Some people have the ability to say/post what I was thinking at the time in the back of my brain which never made it to the front!

I always wondered the same thing........but perhaps, it was so many years ago (the prom), and you know, as you see your kid grow from day 1 day after day year after year into an adult, you are less likely IMO to think "hey my son grew into someone who looks like Clint Eastwood did back in Any Which Way You Can" or something like that. My memories of most high school kids are distant. Call it post-30 dementia or something.

But you know, how a parent is with a child from day to day and don't realize how much they've grown, but then a relative who hasn't seen the kid for awhile yells, "MY YOU HAVE GROWN SO BIG!!" The parent thinks, "Really?" Because they are with them everyday. Just like when someone loses a bunch of weight. The spouse or people always around them don't notice a gradual weight loss as something eventually drastic as much, but when old friends see them after a long time they can't believe how much weight they've lost.

I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but after all, forgive me, it is 4:30 am. OMG, it's Gameday Eve and I can't sleep! No wonder. Ahhh, the memories. I'm still living in the past. Somebody start the Fansomnia thread!!!

What got me about Back to the Future is that Marty wound up changing the whole future, except himself. So he went back to his home and didn't know anything about them. He should have developed a new set of thoughts and memories based on the new world. I wonder what Marty was between the 50's and 1985.

They wrote the story to minimize this problem, giving him the same girlfriend, and changing little else, but suppose he had a different girlfriend because of this, Marty would be looking for Jenny and totally be unaware of the new girl in his life.

Or even the fact that his family doesn't fear Biff anymore. Shouldn't marty know that?

Anyway, its a great series. But Part 2 is always the worse movie in a trilogy (EXCEPT GODFATHER, which is really just a 2-part movie), and thats definately true here.

Movies that are meant to be trilogies, I think you can throw the rule out. Because the second movie is always the meat of the story. That's why Star Wars 1, and 2 were considered so weak. They essentially were both the beginning of the story. The part that sets it all up.

As for holes, in Back to the Future 2 and 3 the gf was different, of course same rule in the Vacation movies...children were always different (I think it was supposed to add to the humor), Then there was the 2 Young Guns movies. Obviously wasn't planning the second when the first was done. At the end of the first they give an entire how the story ends with each character, yet they all die in the 2nd movie, kinda destroying how their story was supposed to end according to the first one.

WOW!!! I don't know if what I typed made any sense...I need coffee....ugh.

Archived