Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did you Rebelieve again?

SkinFan63

I had lost my belief in the Skins during the Spurrier years, but got it back in a big way the day that Gibbs came back.

Everyone in this thread that is old enough to remember Gibbs first tenure said they believed the day Gibbs came back. Not surprising.

to me it came back in phases:

phase I: Joe Gibbs gets hired....that really sparked my interest again.

phase II: I know it sounds crazy....but I first discovered this site this year and watched a video set to music..."we go hard" I think it was ...it was the preseason, and listening to the lyrics of that rap song (I think it was done by CP, but not sure) I thought if that is true, if these players really believe that, then this year is going to be special.

phase III: After that second Dallas game. Here's to more games like that (minus Randy Thomas getting injured.) :cheers:

SkinsFan63, great post! Exactly how I felt. I do remember us beating Dallas once before, it was the last game of the 2002 season when the Redskins were 6-9 in Steve Spurrier's first year, and the Cowboys were 5-10 under Dave Campo, a head coach who was certain to be fired in the offseason after being 5-11 his first two years. There were some tense moments, but the final score was Redskins 20, Cowboys 14, and we held Emmitt Smith to 975 yards, denying him another 1000 yard season in his last year as a Cowboy.

People are using too much hindsight. Go back to the September threads, and even after the come-from-behind heroics on MNF there was still a lot of doubt here over whether the offense was going to be able to get it done (and not just from AJ_Skins either :D ). I think it was after seeing us move the ball as well as we did in the next game against Seattle that I had cause for optimism.

People are using too much hindsight. Go back to the September threads, and even after the come-from-behind heroics on MNF there was still a lot of doubt here over whether the offense was going to be able to get it done (and not just from AJ_Skins either :D ). I think it was after seeing us move the ball as well as we did in the next game against Seattle that I had cause for optimism.

This is a valid statistical point but for me personally, it really was when Moss caught that second TD pass in Texas Stadium on Monday Night Football. I had been stressing the fact that for about 2 seasons that the absolute sole reason the Redskins couldn't move on was shame. To be so easily handled by the teams in your own dividion and especially the Dallas Cowboys for SO LONG was truly the Skins' mental barrier.Things had gotten to the point where any Redskin fan (regardless of what they posted as upcoming season-record) would have to count 2 losses to Dallas and 2 losses to Philly at the beginning of the season. It was simply the surest thing in the NFL for 5-10 years. When we spoiled the Ring of Honor Night in Dallas in week 2, it meant from that night on, all bets were off. :D

When Gibbs came back I thought wed be a contender right away. But that Monday night game, whoo. It was late, i had school the next morning, we were down 13-0, Parcells was 77-0 when leading by 13 or more going in to the fourth. I thought it was over. I was watching the game with my mom, she said, ok, im going up, so I was like, alright, ill give it one more drive, good night. I was about ready to cry, and shes like, dont stop beleive, the games not over. I proceeded to respond with some sarcastic comment, and then she went to bed. That last drive I was going to watch was only the beginning. I was so mad, I was throwing things, cursing the whole team, it just wasnt pretty. My whole life as a competent fan, the Redskins have done little to nothing. I thought the year would be different, but during this game I lost hope for a little bit. Then we scored. I went nuts. I was running around my house, trying not to scream so i wouldnt wake everyone up. I ran into my Mom's room and she was watching the game. She was just as ecstatic. Then, two minutes later, another score. I damn near lost it. Wow, greatest feeling all year by far. Parcells, 77-1. That 1 has never looked so good. This is when i really started beleiving we could, and would do damage come january. Next year will be different, in a good way. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!

Sounds like a fair weather fan to me.

How can you stop believing in the team you love?!?!

All those years of losing and I never stopped believing. Dissapoinment and heart break, but never did I stop believing.

And how on earth could you give up on a MNF game against the cowpies?

Fair weather!

I FU@#$NG HATE THE COWBOYS!

Sounds like a fair weather fan to me.

How can you stop believing in the team you love?!?!

All those years of losing and I never stopped believing. Dissapoinment and heart break, but never did I stop believing.

And how on earth could you give up on a MNF game against the cowpies?

Fair weather!

I FU@#$NG HATE THE COWBOYS!

Fair weather?

I have ALWAYS believed in my team.

For 32 years I have believed.

The post says, "When did you REBELIEVE?"

And I never gave up.....I had to go to bed.

Looked like another loss, but nowhwere in my post did I say anything about giving up.

Did you actually read it?

Hail!:point2sky

Fair weather?

I have ALWAYS believed in my team.

For 32 years I have believed.

The post says, "When did you REBELIEVE?"

And I never gave up.....I had to go to bed.

Looked like another loss, but nowhwere in my post did I say anything about giving up.

Did you actually read it?

Hail!:point2sky

Calm down there pumpkin! To begin with, rebelieve is not a word. You don't rebelieve, my friend, you believe or you believe again. I read your thread and appreciate your devotion to the skins. I love to hear that but I can't understand how anyone can turn a Redskins game off, even if there are other life issues involved (maybe a child being born, or a death in the family or a broken arm). So when I hear someone tell me they turn the game off 'cause they need to sleep, well I question that every time.

I remember watching that game and just feeling like the Redskins would never beat Dallas again. But I never gave up hope. The 'Skins of a few years ago may have given up, but the 'Skins under Gibbs are always fighters and will leave everything on the field, win or lose. That comeback was magical, but I can't say that I ever stopped believing.

Since I've been a fan since 1960 and we went through tough years before and after Coach Gibbs, I never lost faith that our time would come again. However, to be very honest, I thought it might be a long time because we kept remaking the team every offseason and changing coaches and players.

The day Dan Snyder announced Coach Gibbs was back I believed we would be competitive sooner, rather than later, although I thought it might take more than just two years to get back to the playoffs, coming off a 5-11 record and with the players seeming so demoralized.

Although I probably would have bought season tickets in 2004 anyway, despite living in Chicago, when my name finally came up off the waiting list, having Coach Gibbs returning certainly made the decision a lot quicker and easier for me.

This time it seems like he's taking a longer, more organization-wide view, as well as concentrating on getting it done today, so I am hoping that when he retires the next time around he'll leave us ready to carry on the winning legacy and tradition.

It's definitely an exciting time to be a Washington Redskins fan!

After Spurrier bailed, I was in utter despair. I started believing the day St. Joe returned. I remember what my childhood was like because of that man. Despair went to hope the second I checked my voicemail that beautiful morning from my buddy. I wondered, "Why the hell is he leaving me a message at 5:30 in the morning???? Must be an emergency." I punch in my passcode, and hear the screaming on the recording.

"YO, GUESS WHO'S COACHING THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS. JOE MOTHER*$^* GIBBS!!"

I believed from the second my cell phone snapped shut.

Archived