Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Somewhat Realistic Offseason Plan

D'Pablo

Re-sign: Ryan Clark, Derrick Dockery, Ethan Albright

Release: Brandon Noble, Matt Bowen, Cory Raymer, Walt Harris

Trade: Lavar Arrington for a 3rd rounder, Patrick Ramsey for a 5th rounder

FA Pick-ups: Koren Robinson, Kenny Wright, Fred Weary

Draft- 2nd: Martin Nance, 3rd: Mark Anderson, 3rd: Dusty Dvoracek, 5th: Jason Avant, 5th: Brody Croyle, 6th: Donovan Raiola, 7th: Julian Jenkins

Draft- 2nd: Martin Nance' date=' 3rd: Mark Anderson[/b'], 3rd: Dusty Dvoracek, 5th: Jason Avant, 5th: Brody Croyle, 6th: Donovan Raiola, 7th: Julian Jenkins

I dont know bro, draft a WR with our 2nd rounder? I'm not sure that's the best way to go.

Mark Anderson at DE? He's only 253 lbs, how's he supposed to stop the run?

Rather than just mindlessly dismiss your suggestions, would you mind explaining these two picks, as maybe there's good reason behind them.

If all we can get for Ramsey is a lousy 5th rounder, what is the point? He is MUCH more valuable as a QB for us even on the bench.

I think Gibbs would take it and be a happy Christian. Ramsey was a good little soldier all year long, and if he's really not in Gibbs' or Saunders' plans, he'll go cheap.

the release from his conscience will be what relieves Gibbs more than a draft pick.

I'd agree with that move (if Ramsey really has no chance to be a long-term starter here), it'd be another sign that the organization as a whole has more class than some could ever dream of.

but, then yeah... we'd have to draft another QB...and i do like Croyle's armstrength and deep touch, but isn't he small?

I dont know bro, draft a WR with our 2nd rounder? I'm not sure that's the best way to go.

Mark Anderson at DE? He's only 253 lbs, how's he supposed to stop the run?

Rather than just mindlessly dismiss your suggestions, would you mind explaining these two picks, as maybe there's good reason behind them.

Mark Anderson is 253, but at 6'4", adding a few pounds shouldn't be a problem. Besides, we need a pass rusher and there won't be anything of value in the second. Within two years, this guy could be a full time starter. With Martin Nance, it's a matter of value considering his size and leaping ability. We really don't have a 2nd or 3rd WR option, so this guy could be a big plus. Koren Robinson would be the cheapest big play option at the #2 position if we get rid of Arrington to make space.

As far as the disgruntled Ramsey fans go, we'd be lucky to get anything in return for him. He hasn't exactly shown anything to warrant anything other than a second day pick. Moreover, Ramsey will not be content to be on the bench and teams know we will want to get rid of him. All this means a lower pick. Gibbs will not keep Ramsey on the roster.

Re-sign: Ryan Clark' date=' Derrick Dockery, Ethan Albright

Release: Brandon Noble, Matt Bowen, Cory Raymer, Walt Harris

Trade: Lavar Arrington for a 3rd rounder, Patrick Ramsey for a 5th rounder

FA Pick-ups: Koren Robinson, Kenny Wright, Fred Weary

Draft- 2nd: Martin Nance, 3rd: Mark Anderson, 3rd: Dusty Dvoracek, 5th: Jason Avant, 5th: Brody Croyle, 6th: Donovan Raiola, 7th: Julian Jenkins[/quote']

I also belive we should go after a proven CB stemming from the Taylor's legal issues I can guarantee QBs will go after our secondary. Springs is getting old and Carlos will step up. We need someone other then Ade Jimoh and Walt Harris as a proven CB. They don't have to be shutdown CBs (who is?) but at least durable and aggressive.

I certainly say maybe release Noble he hasn't been healthy these last two seasons....

He might retire anyway. To many complications from his injuries. I think Martin Nance is more of a project then people think. Not saying he wouldnt be worth it, but ya never know.

As far as the disgruntled Ramsey fans go' date=' we'd be lucky to get anything in return for him. He hasn't exactly shown anything to warrant anything other than a second day pick. Moreover, Ramsey will not be content to be on the bench and teams know we will want to get rid of him. All this means a lower pick. Gibbs will not keep Ramsey on the roster.[/quote']

I disagree. There has been strong interest in Ramsey from a number of teams to potentially start becasue many teams are in great need of a QB. I would not be suprised if they undergo a straight up trade w/ one of those teams.

For instance: Ramsey to Cincy (I believe Kitna will leave and Marvin knows Ramsey) for Justin Smith.

Unlike for this to happen but not out of the question.

He might retire anyway. To many complications from his injuries. I think Martin Nance is more of a project then people think. Not saying he wouldnt be worth it, but ya never know.

Noble is definitely gone. Great career but that recently discovered disease going around the nfl, MSRA, has attacked his body aggressively over the last 2 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/26/AR2006012602171.html

The Redskins will not draft Martin Nance. He is not the type of receiver the Redskins want to bring into this offense. Look at the WRs in St. Louis and Kansas City and the two WRs the Skins brought in last offseason. Does Martin Nance fit that profile? I say no. The Redskins, if they decide to draft one will look at guys that can get separation, who are quick and agile.

I would look at guys like Brandon Williams, Demetrius Williams, and Will Blackmon for the Redskins first two picks.

And from what I can tell Julian Jenkins isn't gonna be a 7th round pick. He's rated around the 3rd round from the couple sites I visit. He should actually be the 3rd round pick above because Mark Anderson doesn't fit the mold as a Gregg Williams DE and doesn't seem to fit as an OLB.

You really should preface the Arrington trade with the fact that the CBA got extended. Because if that thing doesn't get extended by March 1 (date might be off), Lavar will cost the Redskins $12 million against the cap if he stays or goes. Unless he stays and reworks his deal...

People already mentioned Ramsey for a 5th is downright horrid...

I agree with darrell1106, clements would be nice if the cap can be handled.maybe it's a pipe dream, but, if your going to dream dream big.i like the k robinson wr p/u the d/e from green bay as well. i'd like patrick to stay but if we must trade we will.but i beleive we'll get at least a third rounder.lavar, i just don't see him going anywhere right now.sure would like to be in the room with them as they talk about it.

Trade: Lavar Arrington for a 3rd rounder' date=' Patrick Ramsey for a 5th rounder[/quote']

We have already had the nasty done to us by Jacksonville in the Brunnell trade. Are you advocating that we go back for seconds???? Trading Ramsey for a 5th AND Lavar for a 3rd would make us look as stupid as Atlanta has looked trading trading Brett Favre for a 2nd. :doh:

Very interesting thread. I agree with most of your moves but here is where I would differ:

I think that Lavar restructures and stays here and I also think that Ramsey nets us a 3rd round pick.

I like the Koren Robinson signing but believe that we should sign two UFA WRs. Handy Hymes is a guy that I like who I feel has not reached his potential.

Draft - I would take Tapp if he is available in the 2nd round and if not then go for a CB or OL. I don't like the idea of drafting a WR early in the draft. History is not on our side there.....

I would say no to Robinson, to many issues and there are plenty of WR choices in free agency.

Keep Harris if possible for the nickle spot and depth.

My initial thought would have been no to Robinson as well but that was before I heard a story about his alcohol rehabilitation. Robinson said that he had finally accepted that he had a problem and he sought help. I think that everyone deserves a second chance.

This all might be a moot point since I feel that Minnesota may aggressively try to resign him.

I thought Noble had already retired? I guess if he's still under contract, he'll be placed on the PUP (Physcially unable to perform) and an injury settlement will be reached with him. Or can he just retire? I'm not sure of the salary cap implications for a player that retires while still under contract.

MC

Gibbs has made two of the best and biggest trades in recent memory in the NFL.

Does anyone think we might get a player for Ramsey? I realize it might cost us a pick but is there a team that needs a QB and has someone Gibbs may be eyeing?

I realize Ramsey is no Chump or Coles but does anyone else think it may be a possibility?

Is Avant really suspose to be a 5th round projection?

When I watched Michigan he looked good.

Position: Wide Receiver

School: Michigan

Height: 6-1

Weight: 210

40-Yard Dash: 4.55(est)

Positives:

Jason Avant has the best pair of hands in college football. He is a hard worker who will always try to get better. He is tough going across the middle and can take a hit and get back up. Terrific down-field blocker who uses his good size to engage smaller cornerbacks. Runs excellent routes. Uses his body to get into better position to make the catch. Very physical and can get off of press coverage at the line. Prototypical No. 2 receiver.

Negatives:

Avant has only average speed and isn't very elusive after the catch. Doesn't show a second gear. He wasn't nearly as productive as the other top wideouts who are draft eligible. Most of that can be attributed to playing across from Braylon Edwards in a running offense. Even though he is a taller wideout, he won't win a lot of jump balls.

Overview:

Avant is a first-day pick who should go late-second to early-third round. He will never be a number one, but is a more than capable number two. He has great makeup and has a great set of hands. Look for a team like the Redskins, who sorely need a bigger wideout to pair with Santana Moss, to be heavily interested since they have no first rounder this year.

Suggested Reading

More NFL Draft Prospects

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/p/jasonavant.htm

Archived