Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Europe Redskins Players

bnacpa

According to NFL Europe site on NFL.com the following players have been allocated to NFL Europe by the Redskins:

Antonio Brown WR - Amsterdam Admirals

Calen Powel TE - Cologne Centurions

Aki Jones DT - Frankfurt Galaxy

Richard Smith WR - Hanburg Sea Devils

Brown and Jones most people have heard of and know something about. Here is information about the other two:

Calen Powell: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002256786_hawk29.html

He was an undrafted free agent by the Seahawks and put on the practice squad and we acquired him later in the season. He is 6'5 255lbs and in his last year at Duke he caught 2 passes in the 2 games he played in for 5 yards and 2 TD's. Doesn't look too promising.

Richard Smith:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/09/30/chiefs_sign_wr_richard_smith_to_practice_squad

He was an undrafted free agent by the Chiefs and then the Seahawks acquired him on their practice squad but released him in December. He is 5'10 191lbs. and has 1 year of experience on practice squads in the NFL (Chiefs to Seahawks to Skins). In his last year at Arkansas he played in 14 games, had 34 receptions for 582 yards for a 17.1 yd/catch avg. He scored 4 TD's.

When do the games start, and where can you see them?

The games start Saturday, March 18 and end at the World Bowl on May 27. You can watch them usually on the NFL Network and Fox Sports Net.

The official schedule for TV is not up yet (still have 2005 up), but here is the game schedule for 2006:

http://www.nfleurope.com/schedules

Here is a listing of the player allocations:

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/9191660

Looks like they are trying to get Antonio some more experience as a receiver.

Basically, these are all guys who are pretty raw and probably could use the experience.

Jason

Don't forget that these players will not count against the training camp cap for the number of players allowed to stay after the 1st several rounds of cuts (I forget when the official cut down date is for NFL Europe Allocated Players - it may just be for what they call Nationals which are foreign born players that came up through the European teams).

Anyhow ... Gibbs may be realizing that Brown may be risky to keep around on the roster next offseason given his lack of sure hands. A possible way around that would be getting a roster exemption that this may provide.

.... plus the added additional experience. Given that Lawrence Phillips really did well in Europe (not saying much) ... I imagine that Brown will light things up. Generally only QB's have had big success from over there .. and that is what you see when the NFL markets this in the states ... Brad Johnson, Jake Delhomme, & Kurt Warner.

I like the idea of using a 5th-7th round pick on a small, fast, elusive returner/receiver, and letting him compete with Antonio Brown for a roster spot after Brown gets back from Europe. If the admirals can teach Brown some fundamentals on when to field a return/when to fair catch/when to let it roll, then he has potential to be a truly great returner.

Does anyone have the official rules on the benefits of teams allocating players to Europe aside from the obvious additional experience the players receive? I checked the NFL Europe page and related links but couldn't find it.

http://www.jaguars.com/Story/3745.asp

Fred from Portland, OR: Why are the Jaguars allowed 90 players on their roster. You mentioned that the limit is 80 players and I only know of five players with NFL Europe exemptions, so why are an additional five players exempt?

Vic: OK, let's start with four Jaguars who played in NFL Europe: Konrad Dean, Marques Ogden, Jimmy McClain and Kenny Jackson. They are all on the Jaguars training camp roster and practicing as exempted players. The Jaguars were granted two more NFL Europe exemptions because of the type of players they allocated to Europe: Players who were on the Jaguars' roster last season. Those two exemptions are termed rookie/first-year player exemptions, which means you can place two players on your training camp roster who are either rookies or first-year players. Most teams assign those exemptions to first-year players they know they won't cut, which allows the team to maintain the flexibility of that type of exemption for the duration of the preseason. The Jaguars have assigned the rookie/first-year player exemptions to Byron Leftwich and Rashean Mathis. They probably won't be cut this summer. OK, that's six exemptions, which takes us to 86 on the roster. Chris Brown and Akeem Akbar are two other NFL Europe players who are on the Jaguars roster, though they are not practicing because they were assigned to the Europe “injured” list and have yet to be declared healthy. That makes 88, right? Then there are Matt Leonard and Deon Humphrey, who were placed on the reserve/injured list just before the start of training camp. The maximum number of NFL Europe exemptions allowed is 10, plus one for an NFL Europe League “national,” which is a player other than a U.S. citizen who played in NFL Europe. Is that more than you ever wanted to know about NFL Europe? It's more than I wanna know.

Jason

Antonio better stay out of trouble over there in Amsterdam. I hope he learns how to catch while moving during his stay in Europe.

He probably has a better chance of catching VD in the red light district than a pass. Stay out of the coffee shops Brown, but if you do venture into one make sure you have one of the brownees. :D

He probably has a better chance of catching VD in the red light district than a pass. Stay out of the coffee shops Brown, but if you do venture into one make sure you have one of the brownees. :D

Yeah seriously. Something tells me he's going to come back a little bit slower and a little bit fatter...know what I mean? :laugh:

Archived