Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell Thoughts (No bashing please)

G-Prime

I think the world of Brunell.

But, personally, i don't know how i'd feel about him being a QB coach mainly because of one reason.

--He's not a risk taker--

I love Brunell, but sometimes i like to see QBs fitting balls in tight coverage in a way where the WR can grab it.

He does it some times. But thats the only difference i like about Ramsey that Brunell doesn't do. Though, Ramsey does it a little too much.

I get irritated sometimes seeing all those balls thrown away.

Jim Zorn is doing a good job in Seattle :).

Brunell is a smart guy who could probably help a young player develop. But, that will come from playing or helping on the sideline as a player more than a coach. But, sure, he could become a coach :).

I'm thinking that he and Campbell will have a somewhat similar style of throwing on the run (the young Brunell I mean) and that his experience there as well as being a pretty good pocket passer in his day could be invaluable to Campbell.

I think the most important thing to consider is that MB is a Gibbs guy. He appears to communicate very well with Joe which is vital once you move over to the coaching staff. If we do see Ramsey play next year we will know how good a mentor MB really is. I have a feeling that he taught a boatload to PR and JC.

I think the most important thing to consider is that MB is a Gibbs guy. He appears to communicate very well with Joe which is vital once you move over to the coaching staff. If we do see Ramsey play next year we will know how good a mentor MB really is. I have a feeling that he taught a boatload to PR and JC.

I like that picture. I hope Ramsey goes somwhere and lights it up, but I don't mean that in any kind of a "hah! see?" sort of thing. I just think he's a great kid with some real skills and if he gets it cooking I'll be very happy, unless its for a rival ;) .

If he succeeds I can't imagine using it to rub in anybody's face (though, sadly, I expect many will) and if he fails I can't imagine rubbing anybody's face in it (though, sadly, I imagine a few people will). Either way, the only way I think mark will get any credit, even if deserved, is if it comes direct from ramsey's lips. :) and even then it will be excused away as "he's just being nice" by at least one guy :laugh:

I'd like to see him try his hand at coaching for the Skins. Also seems to me that the best X-QB's to coach were the ones who held the clip board most of thier career. Not all, but most. Kubiak is one that comes to mind.

I am one who thought that Brunell was intrecal to the Skins success this past year. But I would like to see some young blood with fresh arms and legs. I also hope Casey Bramlett hangs on. He's not a bad QB just from a small college. But the Mountain West does air it out.

Jovan Bouknight WR U of Wyo 6'1" 191

Another point to consider is that Mark Brunell knows what it means to be a good QB. Look at his career stats, they're pretty damn good. He's been good for so long, he has to have knowledge that can be passed along. He's 35 years old and just concluded his best season. He's not a system QB, which shows me that he has detailed knowledge of the position.

While I haven't had the pleasure of spending too much time with Brunell, from the few minutes total I have spoken with him, he seems like an outwardly caring and confident guy.

One thing I didn't think about that you mentioned is Ramsey. Man I really hope he's here next season so we can see if Brunell has had any positive effect on him. The little bit we did see him last year showed me he did, but I'd like to see more.

I feel Brunell is a very good leader who doesn't make many mistakes. However I hate how he holds onto the ball, especially when he is running with it. When healthy he is one of the best playaction passers in the game -- he loves to roll out. However when he doesn't get this chance to roll out his game drops a couple of notches.

I feel Brunell earned an opportunity to start in 2006, however if Campbell plays better than him in preseason then Campbell should start. Basically what I am saying is it should be Brunell's job to lose.

How often do qb's who were stars in this league come back as qb coaches after their playing days are over?

Jim Zorn was not an elite QB but a pretty good one and I think he has done a pretty good job with the development of Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle. But I can not think of an great or elite NFL QB coming back to coach when there playing days are over.

One thing that people have over looked about Marc Brunell was at one time he was a pretty good QB in the NFL. He helped lead a second year expansion team to the Playoffs and he was a big part of the late season playoff run!

I think he will be the incumbent starter in 06 but I just have a feeling that he will get injured and the Jason Campbell Era will begin. I would love to see my Lambda Chi Alpha Brother stay with the Redskins as a QB Coach.

As long as he can stay mobile (even "old guy mobile") Mark is a threat. I say it here all the time, but try to remember that he was SO good in Jacksonville. It's not like this was his first ever good season or playoff appearance. I am absolutely astonished when fans who watched him this year are ready to sweep him off the porch.

Brunell made it to the second round of the playoffs with an offensive line that didn't truly gel until week 7-8 and he basically had one- I repeat- ONE wide receiver all season long. Almost literally.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that he doesn't make mistakes. This is 80% of a "Joe Gibbs QB" profile. He threw maybe 5 INTs this season that were his fault. I can only remember 3 but I figure there had to be more than that. He SWEPT the Dallas Cowboys... He SWEPT.... the DALLAS COWBOYS! (I wish there were an echo here.)

With all his experience, class, confidence, respect for the game, and his belief in Joe Gibbs' system, I don't see how there could really be ANY other candidate to take the Redskins back to the playoffs next season. Still has a strong arm, still has a strong mind, and knows when to run or throw it away. (Anybody thinking Joey T here?)

--He's not a risk taker--

I love Brunell, but sometimes i like to see QBs fitting balls in tight coverage in a way where the WR can grab it.

He does it some times. But thats the only difference i like about Ramsey that Brunell doesn't do. Though, Ramsey does it a little too much.

I get irritated sometimes seeing all those balls thrown away.

I'm not sure about that., If you have seen any of his college games and earlier years in Jacksonville, he took more chances, but I think as he matured he (or was coached to) became more careful with the ball.

as far as his tendecies here throwing the ball away, I have no doubt was what Gibbs asked of him (and also one of the reasons Ramsey didn't play)

...that said, I don't think he'll coach because he and Tony Boselli run a ministry in Jacksonville and he also has a part ownership of a couple of restaurants there as well.

as much as i have always hated and bashed brunell, i must agree i think he would be a great qb coach. on the other hand, according to mark himself when asked what he thought about ramsey, he thinks ramsey will be a great coach someday, because he said patrick knows an immense amount about football as a whole. also, he has said ramsey is a great motivator, and a lot of the team respects him more as a sort of father figure, and a lot of them turn to him for advice. even when you watch brunell in games going to the sideline after a play, the first thing he does is seeks out the young buck, and ramsey seems to be giving him pointers. it appears at times that ramsey is there to pick up the pieces when brunell loses confidence, and a lot of times it has worked out. look closely at the game in dallas. after dallas got the ball back up 13-0 bruneel is on the sideline talking to ramsey, who is demonstrating a technique that coincidently looked to be the same as the one mark used to connect on both passes with santana. it does work, as we've seen, and it appears that he was showing mark what to do to hang the ball in the air a little more, which is good advice since ramsey is so much better at the long ball than brunell. either way, i think they would both make great coaches. as for playing though, mark should hang it up with his dignity still in tact.

I think Ramsey knows a lot, but is not yet quite able to execute it all properly. Ramsey was damaged goods coming out of college because he never learned to throw a good, high deepball, and it killed him at the NFL level. You can't sit and wait for a receiver to get open down the field which was what Ramsey was doing and then gunning it in there. You have to put some air under the ball and get rid of it a little sooner.

Coach Gibbs knew about this deficiency in Ramsey's game, and brought in Brunnell because he was not comfortable that he could make the offense work with Ramsey. Of course, Brunnell got hurt and we all know the story there last year. So, this offseason, Coach Gibbs tried to change the way Ramsey plays the game. Apparently it didn't work quite as well as Coach hoped it would, but Ramsey is better at throwing the deep ball now, and will continue to get better in that respect. I think he also picked up a lot of sage advice along the way to learning this technique, and has helped Brunnell to better see things, as two sets of eyes are always better than one. (provided none of them are wearing black and white stripes anyways)

I personally wish we could keep the QB corps we have right now. It's always better to have depth, especially at QB. But I respect Ramsey's wish to be able to go somewhere that he can play, and I think Coach Gibbs does too. So this year it's Brunnell, Cambell, and a newcomer. Maybe in the future Brunnell will retire, and I do think he's make a good coach, but not yet. He and Cambell fight it out for the starting job this year. Personally I hope Jason wins. No ofense to Mark, I just think he's a bigger asset to the team as a backup at this point in his career. Think about the psychological different of going to you backup between Brunnell as backup and a still untested Campbell. Not just that, what are the chances that Brunnell makes it through the season unhurt. We've all seen what he looks like when he plays hurt. Personally I never want to see it again.

...that said, I don't think he'll coach because he and Tony Boselli run a ministry in Jacksonville and he also has a part ownership of a couple of restaurants there as well.

That I didn't know. Thanks for the info man. I didn't know he ran a ministry. His stock just rose in my book.

If memory serves me, in an interview when he was signed, Brunell said when he was done with playing the game, he would return to the Jacksonville area. He spent almost his entire career in that area, and has many ties to the comunity.

Weather he's had a change of heart after two years in the DC area is anybodies guess, but IMO, he will move his family back down south.

AS for him being a QB coach, that's a flip of the coin. Just because a player has had a good career, doesn't mean they will be a good coach. Having somebody watch you to learn is a lot easier then having to critique a persons mechanics, and find a way to correct or enhance them. You also have to be a very good communicator on all levels. Mark is a great guy, but does he have what it takes to make a career changing call for somebody else.

There are so many variables involved, and no real bassis for saying he would or would not be a good coach. Having a good career, and being a good guy just isn't enough to make an informed judgment.

:cheers:

I really feel that Brunell will go out playing well, but where he gets hurt, just like a movie, then the young kid comes in a takes the team the rest of the way through the playoffs and to win the SuperBowl. Brunell graciously retires and has a ring, and was an important part of the team, by leading them through the season. Jason Campbell is the Superbowl MVP.

Archived