Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell Thoughts (No bashing please)

G-Prime

Time will tell in the coming season who will take the field as the starter of our glorious team.

With the topic of coaches on many minds how do you guys feel Brunell would do as a QB coach for the Redskins when he's done. Like it or not Brunell was a big part of a great football year. I believe Gibbs is trying to maintain a family type attitude around the park and in keeping with that he may keep Mark around as a coach. Much like how he's publically stated he'd like to have Ray Brown back.

What do you guys think?

Brunell Sucks!!! Hadn't thought about bashing till you brought it up. :D

Seriously though I think Brunell has been very good when healthy. I think the QB coach thing could work out. It would take someone behind the scenes though to really know how Mark interacts with JC. Because thats who we'd be talking about him coaching in the near future.

BASHBASHBASHBASHBASH

jk

I don't get where the Brunell bashing comes from, he played a HUGE part in our success this year. He had the best season of his career.

He's a smart qb, i think there's a lot he could teach younger qbs. He's a natural leader and I think the guys on the team genuinely like him. I'm for it.

You probably won't find more of a class act in the NFL. He's had some great years playing and has brought something to the game that's seriously lacking, personality. If can translate that into coaching then by all means bring him aboard.

I have no idea if MarK would be so inclined but based on all the things I would look for in such a position I think he's be a true asset. With the caveat that I don't know how effective his teaching ability may be, the depth and breadth of his experience, his intelligence about the game and the position, and his poise and ability to earn the confidence, trust and support of all his fellows (on the team if not on the message boards :laugh: ) would make him a great addition.

Now I'm still curious to see if you float this whole thread without a bash :D .

Hopefully he can see the field better as a coach...;-)

j/k.

I think he is already doing coaching...hench Ramsey's improvement in caution and field generalship this year during the Giant's game.

excellent thought, vis. and I would think all the brunell-non-supporters (hater may not be fair to some) would love the idea ;) .

Jim Zorn is doing a good job in Seattle :).

Brunell is a smart guy who could probably help a young player develop. But, that will come from playing or helping on the sideline as a player more than a coach. But, sure, he could become a coach :).

Looks like you are half way down one page without a bash. :)

I guess I will not start. :silly: I just have one question, do you think that Ramsey playing better in the Giants game was due to Brunell or a case of "benching?"

My main concern would be like when Michael Jordon beame the president of player personnel for the Wizards. To me being great at something doesn't mean you can teach it. I am not saying the Brunell was a good a quarterback as Jordon was a basketball player. Just wondering how good Brunell would be at coaching.

But I am not bashing. ;)

as much as i have always hated and bashed brunell, i must agree i think he would be a great qb coach. on the other hand, according to mark himself when asked what he thought about ramsey, he thinks ramsey will be a great coach someday, because he said patrick knows an immense amount about football as a whole. also, he has said ramsey is a great motivator, and a lot of the team respects him more as a sort of father figure, and a lot of them turn to him for advice. even when you watch brunell in games going to the sideline after a play, the first thing he does is seeks out the young buck, and ramsey seems to be giving him pointers. it appears at times that ramsey is there to pick up the pieces when brunell loses confidence, and a lot of times it has worked out. look closely at the game in dallas. after dallas got the ball back up 13-0 bruneel is on the sideline talking to ramsey, who is demonstrating a technique that coincidently looked to be the same as the one mark used to connect on both passes with santana. it does work, as we've seen, and it appears that he was showing mark what to do to hang the ball in the air a little more, which is good advice since ramsey is so much better at the long ball than brunell. either way, i think they would both make great coaches. as for playing though, mark should hang it up with his dignity still in tact.

I think hes a great qb and obviously a good leader but coaching is a whole different thing to playing. Id love to think he could do it, and more to the point he would LIKE to do it but i think Brunell will probably have at least another year playing the game before he thinks about coaching it. Id rather like to see him in a similar role to what Kitna played with Carson Palmer in Cincy, but obviously "coaching" JC. That would be awesome.

That's possible but it depends on how Greg Williams feels. He seems like the pick to replace Gibbs and might not feel the same way about Burnell that Gibbs does. Campbell should be our starter after next season. If things continue to progress and we get 2 receivers to replace Jacobs and Thrash. We should be champions of the NFL after next season. Brunell will retire and Joe may stay as president and let Williams run the team.

as much as i have always hated and bashed brunell, i must agree i think he would be a great qb coach. on the other hand, according to mark himself when asked what he thought about ramsey, he thinks ramsey will be a great coach someday, because he said patrick knows an immense amount about football as a whole. also, he has said ramsey is a great motivator, and a lot of the team respects him more as a sort of father figure, and a lot of them turn to him for advice. even when you watch brunell in games going to the sideline after a play, the first thing he does is seeks out the young buck, and ramsey seems to be giving him pointers. it appears at times that ramsey is there to pick up the pieces when brunell loses confidence, and a lot of times it has worked out. look closely at the game in dallas. after dallas got the ball back up 13-0 bruneel is on the sideline talking to ramsey, who is demonstrating a technique that coincidently looked to be the same as the one mark used to connect on both passes with santana. it does work, as we've seen, and it appears that he was showing mark what to do to hang the ball in the air a little more, which is good advice since ramsey is so much better at the long ball than brunell. either way, i think they would both make great coaches. as for playing though, mark should hang it up with his dignity still in tact.

glad you found the ramsey thread :laugh:

No bashing???

Damn!!!!!

j/k

Brunell is a big part of the reason we made it into the playoffs this season.

If he's healthy, and has someone open, to throw to, he can be lethal.

I think he'll be in there slugging it out to be our starter next season.

As for coaching....Hell Yeah!

Hail!:point2sky

seanT.jpg

Is there a reason to bash him? 40 yards passing in playoff game is HOF worthy. Plus he's courageous and super smart.

From the How It Could Be Worse Department: Bad QB performances when it mattered most: (not counting play-off games, just Superbowls, all bad losses for team w/ QB mentioned)

Tony Eason--Patriots SB XX

0 completions for -6 yards, 1 F, 3 INT, replaced by Steve Grogan late in 2nd Qtr. who rallied his team to 46-10 thrashing by Da Bears :laugh:

Craig Morton--Broncos SB XII

4 of 15 for 35 yards, 4 INT, replaced late in 2nd by Weese to no avail, 27-10 loss to ball-control Cowpies.

Earl Morral--Jets SB III ;)

6 of 17 for 71 yards, 3 INT

John Elway--Broncos SB XXIV

10 of 26 for 108 yards, 2 F, 2 INT for a 55-10 loss to SF.

Kerry Collins--Giants SB XXXV

15 of 39 for 112 yards, 4 INT in Reaming by the Ravens

David Woodley--Dolphins SB XVII

4 of 14 for 97 yards, 67 of which came from a great run by Jimmy Cefalo after the catch. Later replaced by Strock in loss to Redskins!

Billy Kilmer--Redskins, SB VII :(

14 of 28 for 104 yards, 3 INT

Fran Tarkenton,--Vikings SB IX

11 of 26 for 102 yards, 3 INT

And, with more yardage yet still :doh: peformances:

Neil O'Donnell,--Steelers, Super Bowl XXX

28-for-49 for 239 yards (4.8 yards per attempt) -- but it was the worst throw in Super Bowl history that earned him a spot on this list. The Steelers trailed the Cowboys 13-7 midway through the third quarter when Dallas' Larry Brown intercepted an O'Donnell pass that wasn't within 10 yards of the nearest Steelers receiver. Brown's pick helped set up a TD and Dallas went on to a 27-17 victory. F'in lucky Cowpies. :D

Jim Kelly--Bills SB XXVI

28 of 58 for 275 yards, 3 F, 4 INT

Talk about games you'd like to forget.

No bashing here. I like Brunell and belive that Al Saunders can make him work in our offense. The only problem I see with Brunell is the fact that his performance drops significantly when he is injured.

You've heard it a million times but it's true...he's a great QB when he's healthy.

Archived