Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP:Redskins safety faces up to 46 years in jail

RDSKNFN_48

This is about the person...Let's keep him in our Prayers....This is discouraging to say the least.

Redskins safety faces up to 46 years in jailAssociated Press

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor faces up to 46 years in prison after two additional assault charges were filed against him Friday.

Taylor

Michael Grieco, an assistant state attorney, said the charges reflect Taylor's alleged threatening of three people with a gun in an armed confrontation over an all-terrain vehicle on June 1.

Taylor, 22, now faces three counts of aggravated assault, each of which carries a minimum sentence of three years and a maximum of 15 years in prison. He also faces one misdemeanor battery charge that carries a potential one-year prison term.

Trial is scheduled to begin March 20 for Taylor, a former University of Miami star who signed a seven-year, $18-million contract after being drafted by the Redskins in 2004. He has six interceptions and 120 tackles in his two seasons.

Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, said the additional charges surprised him.

"The state has had this case since June and now they're filing these added charges? It's bizarre," Carhart said.

Taylor has pleaded not guilty and remains free on $16,500 bond.

The Redskins lost to the Seattle Seahawks two weeks ago in the NFC playoffs. In a playoff victory against Tampa Bay, Taylor was ejected after spitting in the face of Buccaneers running back Michael Pittman. Earlier in that game, he ran a fumble back for a touchdown

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2308407

this article is more for shock appeal than anything else. even if he is convicted of all three counts i seriously doubt he would get the maximum sentence.

What upsets me is that this will be a jury trial and even though the jury is suppossed to ignore these things, how can you say they actually do. It is hard to get an unbiased decision from a jury of your peers when you have so much attention drawn to an incident. It is only a matter of time before a high profile trial consist of a jury who has enough citizens on it that think athletes and celebrities get away with too much. Some day someone is going to be made the example. I really hope Sean Taylor is not that guy.

What upsets me is that this will be a jury trial and even though the jury is suppossed to ignore these things, how can you say they actually do. It is hard to get an unbiased decision from a jury of your peers when you have so much attention drawn to an incident. It is only a matter of time before a high profile trial consist of a jury who has enough citizens on it that think athletes and celebrities get away with too much. Some day someone is going to be made the example. I really hope Sean Taylor is not that guy.

I don't mean to sound racist here, but I hope the jury has a number of African-Americans who believe the system is prosecuting yet another man of color unjustly.

Number one, he'll never come close to seeing 46 years, even if he's found guilty of one or more charges.

Number two, if he's found guilty, then he deserves what he gets. Redskin or not, you break the law, you face the charges.

Riggo, I don't know how you figure he is being treated unfairly. The trial hasn't even begun. Just because you're his number one fan does not mean that he is being treated unfairly based upon the color of his skin. And if you don't think that he is being treated unfairly, and just hoping that he will get off because of a misinformed jury, well then, that's just morally reprehensible.

Number one, he'll never come close to seeing 46 years, even if he's found guilty of one or more charges.

Number two, if he's found guilty, then he deserves what he gets. Redskin or not, you break the law, you face the charges.

Riggo, I don't know how you figure he is being treated unfairly. The trial hasn't even begun. Just because you're his number one fan does not mean that he is being treated unfairly based upon the color of his skin. And if you don't think that he is being treated unfairly, and just hoping that he will get off because of a misinformed jury, well then, that's just morally reprehensible.

For the record, I'm caucasian, and I'm definately not playing the race card in this trial. I do feel like the charges are excessive and I'm outraged that the perpetrators of the shooting of Taylors car and into Taylors mothers home are not being more agressively pursued then this case. I feel like that is unfair.

That being said, I hope the demographics and personality of the jury work out in Taylors favor, that's all. If its a jury of 12 white liberal men, he's as good as gone imo.

Edward Carhart is the best that money can buy. When you have a defense attorney like him you're really paying for one thing in particular. You are paying for someone who is a master of the Voir Dire. Jury selection in case like this is the most important factor. Carhart and his team will break down the candidates and stack the cards in their favor. Once the trial begins Carhart and his team will expose every facet of the accusers character. Once this breakdown occurs, a properly selected Jury will rule in the defenses favor every single time. It is a science and an art. Sean Taylor has the Einstein/Picasso team representing him.

this article is more for shock appeal than anything else. even if he is convicted of all three counts i seriously doubt he would get the maximum sentence.

I am also of the I don't think he'll get convicted crowd but if he does get convicted the min. sentence is three years per count, so that's nine years behind bars, his career is over.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Edward Carhart is the best that money can buy. When you have a defense attorney like him you're really paying for one thing in particular. You are paying for someone who is a master of the Voir Dire. Jury selection in case like this is the most important factor. Carhart and his team will break down the candidates and stack the cards in their favor. Once the trial begins Carhart and his team will expose every facet of the accusers character. Once this breakdown occurs, a properly selected Jury will rule in the defenses favor every single time. It is a science and an art. Sean Taylor has the Einstein/Picasso team representing him.

How many cases that go to trial are ruled in the favor of the defendant? Look it up, you might be surprised.

Interesting that two additional charges were thrown in last minute. Is that good or bad? Either it's a last minute thing that will likely be poorly organized and presented by the prosecution, or it's a tactic to try to catch the defense off guard. Should it be the latter, the judge will undoubtedly allow more time to ST to organize a defense against those two recent charges. I'm not sure it which side of the fence all of this will come down on, but I hope that justice is done, and done fairly, regardless of the outcome.

Yeah, everyone says..this is florida. C'mon now...it's a state that can't even count votes right. Besides I think Penn. is more strict then Florida...isn't it?

No, Florida's laws concerning hand guns or any weapons are much more severe and strict than Pennsylvania's...

Anyone think the fact that this trial is in Miami and he was a beloved Cane will help out. If you put a nole on trial in tallahassee he's probably gonna have an advantage, same as in Miami i would assume. Sean Taylor used to dominate as a cane and they will remember that. I know we are all worried because he is unreal and if we lose him thats a huge blow. But dont forget this is America. I expect to see him on the field next season, maybe with parol.

Yeah he'll get 46 years for threatening people with a gun. I think after he's found not guilty (or at the maximum given a suspended sentence), the ADA should be disbarred for wasting resources on this stupid thinly-veiled publicity stunt.

Regardless of how strict Florida laws are, sending someone with no criminal record to jail for 46 years for threatening someone is absurd. And it won't happen. This is what lawyers are paid for. I won't be surprised if the lawyer tries to get a change of venue.

No, Florida's laws concerning hand guns or any weapons are much more severe and strict than Pennsylvania's...

3 years minimum per charge, yikes. I assume those are mandatory minimums. One guity verdict and I hate to say it but there goes his career. The DA here is increasing the odds of prison time by splitting the counts out.

Does anybody know if this trail will be covered on Court TV?

Yeah, everyone says..this is florida. C'mon now...it's a state that can't even count votes right. Besides I think Penn. is more strict then Florida...isn't it?

Lay off my home state buddy! :D

NY is nothing to brag about either: ;)

http://wcbs880.com/nynews/NY--ChildDeath-Law-on/resources_news_html

"The proposal is named after Nixzmary Brown, found dead in her home on Jan. 11. Authorities said the girl was bound and held captive before her stepfather Cesar Rodriguez killed her with a blow to the head.

He noted that Rodriguez, if convicted, could serve as little as 15 years behind bars for the crime."

Archived