Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Income inequality by state

Cdowwe

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/25/news/economy/income_gap/index.htm?cnn=yes

This gap grew the most in the past 20 years in Arizona, NY, and Massachusetts. I can understand AZ, its a growing state, and alot of people with money are moving there. NY and Mass though?

1 Arizona

2 Texas

3 New York

4 New Jersey

5 Kentucky

6 Tennessee

7 Florida

8 California

9 North Carolina

10 Pennsylvania

11 Massachusetts

12 Maryland

13 Arkansas

14 Alabama

15 Washington

16 Louisiana

17 Kansas

18 New Mexico

19 Colorado

20 Illinois

21 Michigan

22 West Virginia

23 Virginia

24 Connecticut

25 Mississippi

26 Hawaii

27 Ohio

28 Rhode Island

29 South Carolina

30 Indiana

31 Maine

32 Oregon

33 Minnesota

34 Utah

35 New Hampshire

36 Georgia

37 Oklahoma

38 Missouri

39 Nevada

40 Vermont

41 Delaware

42 Montana

43 Idaho

44 North Dakota

45 Alaska

46 Wisconsin

47 South Dakota

48 Iowa

49 Nebraska

50 Wyoming

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/25/news/economy/income_gap/index.htm?cnn=yes

This gap grew the most in the past 20 years in Arizona, NY, and Massachusetts. I can understand AZ, its a growing state, and alot of people with money are moving there. NY and Mass though?

They are in the top 5 states in terms of income, so it would naturally lead to a wider gap. It is also in the top 5 in terms of education, and hi tech jobs. It has low poverty and the taxes are cheaper the Virginia. We are on the forefront of thinking, and social justice as well. I am damn proud to be from Mass, and maybe if the rest of the country would look at what we do in terms of government, society and economically, the US would be a lot better off.

They are in the top 5 states in terms of income, so it would naturally lead to a wider gap. It is also in the top 5 in terms of education, and hi tech jobs. It has low poverty and the taxes are cheaper the Virginia. We are on the forefront of thinking, and social justice as well. I am damn proud to be from Mass, and maybe if the rest of the country would look at what we do in terms of government, society and economically, the US would be a lot better off.

I was waiting for you to come defend your state. But, it is number 11 in income inequality. Tis Tis Tedward.

Not to mention it is growing.

Not arguing its a bad thing. Its bound to happen. Just didnt expect it to grow in a state like Mass. where they pride themselves on equality.

You are trying to equate social justice across the board to economic justice, they are two seperate areas completely. What we try to do is give everyone equal oppertunity, and it allows another untapped pool of potential CEO's and leaders. It has absolutely nothing to do with income equality, and income inequality is not necessarily a bad thing. You have a floor, but no ceiling so the larger the gap, the better off the citizens are.

The forefront of thinking? Man you've got a big ballsack making such an pretentious statement like that. Wow.

What is pretentious about the statement? I think we are on the forefront of social thinking. We were the first state to allow gay marriage, a good thing. We give gay people the same rights as everyone else. It is the forefront of social justice any way you look at it.

What is pretentious about the statement? It is a fact that I live in a state that has a high income level, an you guys are arguing this is bad. There is nothing pretentious about the statement at all, read the article and the thread before you start to make unabashed claims like that.

I wasn't talking about the income level...thats fine and dandy, everyone likes money.

I was talking about the fact that you're saying that its a certified mensa club up there.

I wasn't talking about the income level...thats fine and dandy, everyone likes money.

I was talking about the fact that you're saying that its a certified mensa club up there.

I re-edited my quote, because I misread your statement.

As for the "mensa club" comment, we have the largest conglomeration of higher education facilities in the country. There are over 40 major colleges in the Boston area alone, and we attract the best and brightest students all the time. It makes sense that the talent pool is a lot more diverse and great when you are talking bout places like MIT and Harvard as potential workers, the compared with other schools.

I also was not talking about the "brains" of the area, but the social knowledge and justice we try to strive for.

I re-edited my quote, because I misread your statement.

As for the "mensa club" comment, we have the largest conglomeration of higher education facilities in the country. There are over 40 major colleges in the Boston area alone, and we attract the best and brightest students all the time. It makes sense that the talent pool is a lot more diverse and great when you are talking bout places like MIT and Harvard as potential workers, the compared with other schools.

I also was not talking about the "brains" of the area, but the social knowledge and justice we try to strive for.

I'd like to see how many kids that go to Harvard and MIT are actually from Massachusetts...yeah, you have all the colleges up there and they do attract the best and the brightest, but from all over.

and i'm sorry, but if the majority of your state worships at the altar of the Kennedy family, I can't take your state very seriously ;)

Funny that you are bragging about the income of your region to a coupla people from Northern Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richest_counties_in_the_United_States

Income in the United States

Per capita income by:

Place

Traditionally speaking, Marin County, California, Fairfield County, Connecticut, Westchester County, New York, Fairfax County, Virginia and Monmouth County, New Jersey are considered to be the highest-income counties in the United States.

I guess we are just southern hicks down here.

Funny that you are bragging about the income of your region to a coupla people from Northern Virginia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richest_counties_in_the_United_States

I guess we are just southern hicks down here.

Yup, ask any Northern Virginian how the feel to be attached to a backward state like Virginia. Fairfax is the second smartest county in the country in terms of people who hold college, graduate, or doctoral degrees. And you know what? They vote Democractic across the board. Kaine got a lot of support up in the 'fax. So basically, we make all the money, and poor southern Virginia hicks freeload :).

Yup, ask any Northern Virginian how the feel to be attached to a backward state like Virginia. Fairfax is the second smartest county in the country in terms of people who hold college, graduate, or doctoral degrees. And you know what? They vote Democractic across the board. Kaine got a lot of support up in the 'fax. So basically, we make all the money, and poor southern Virginia hicks freeload :).

K......I am a Northern Virginian. I dont feel anything about being attached to a "backward" state like Virginia.

Sure, Blacksburg is a ****hole, but thats about it. :laugh:

I'd like to see how many kids that go to Harvard and MIT are actually from Massachusetts...yeah, you have all the colleges up there and they do attract the best and the brightest, but from all over.

and i'm sorry, but if the majority of your state worships at the altar of the Kennedy family, I can't take your state very seriously ;)

16% of Harvard students are instate,

9% of MIT students are instate

obviously disproportionate

Secondly, a lot of these students stay and live in Mass after they graduate.

K......I am a Northern Virginian. I dont feel anything about being attached to a "backward" state like Virginia.

Sure, Blacksburg is a ****hole, but thats about it. :laugh:

Harrisonburg is pretty crappy too. An odd combination of immigrants and rural white folk.

Virginia is good as long as you don't live in those small towns in the middle of nowhere.

Archived