Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schlereth picks Shanahan over Gibbs!!!!

painfulyetloyal

When we beat the Bills, we were clearly the better team and were never really challenged. The Broncos needed alot more work in the coaching department to upset the Packers.

I don't think that is true. We were a better team because we had Gibbs. The Bills had the better roster almost across the board and went 13-3 losing a couple games because of bad coaching if anything. The Bills were serious underachievers and chokers with all pros at just about every position on the field.

Come on man, Bruce Smith, Darrell Talley, Cornelius Bennett, Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, Henry Jones and Mark Kelso on Defense and Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Lofton, 2 very good TE's and an ol with bigger names and supposedly better OLmen than our own great line. Kent Hull, Glenn Parker, Jim Richter, Howard Ballard and Will Wolford, 4 of 5 of which were annual pro bowlers and the other guy was good too. Steve Tasker on Special Teams as well. How was our team better again?

Kelly and Lofton are HOFers, Smith will be, 2-3 of those OLmen would be if that team won some of those SBs, Thomas might make it, Reed should too, Conlan, Talley, Bennett, Jones and Odomes were among the best in the league from 1990-1993 or 94. We just had an average team with a good coach. Darrell Green and (maybe) Monk are our only Hofers from that team. I don't see how we were superior, just better coached. The Bills had Pro Bowlers up and down their roster and just didn't get it done.

It will always be that way with Schlereth; I don't know what it is but he usually skirts the question when pelple like Mike Greenberg ask him about what it was like to play for Gibbs. He picked Terell Davis over Timmy Smith for his best performance by a RB in a Super Bowl. He is a Bronco through and through.

Didn't Shlereth have dyslexia?

I think a great coaching performance, was being down 10-0 in the second quarter and Gibbs made some blocking adjustment assignments against the Broncos...fifteen minutes later, it is 35-10 underdog Redskins lead at halftime...

Now that is coaching!!!

Yeah, keeping Plummer almost cost the Broncoes those Superbowls they won with Elway.

Jesus, the question was on who had the better performance in a SuperBowl, and it's hard to pick any coaching job over the one Shanahan did in Superbowl XXXII where he beat the heavily-favored defending champion Green Bay Packers.

He didn't say Shanahan was the better coach, just that he did a better job in that Superbowl.

How bout putting 35 up in a quarter against the 7 point favorite Broncos. I think thats pretty good coaching.

Schlereth has always had a chip on his shoulder about how he was released here.

Of course, what he fails to mention (or remember) was that, at the time, he had undergone about a dozen knee surgeries, and was considered highly unlikely to recover and play again.

Obviously, he was able to re-hab and play at a high level again. But I don't see how any of this would make him anti-Gibbs, and I'm not sure why he'd expect the Redskins to treat him any differently. He was clearly an exception, not the rule.

Of course, I can also understand why he'd be more loyal to the Broncos now. They took a chance on him, and he got to two Super Bowls as a result.

How bout putting 35 up in a quarter against the 7 point favorite Broncos. I think thats pretty good coaching.

Or pretty bad defense. While we weren't exactly fielding an all-star team on offense (though it certainly wasn't bad) you'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with a Super Bowl defense that was worse than the 1987 Broncos.

Again, of the three Super Bowls with which Schlereth is personally familiar, there's absolutely no doubt that Shanahan displayed the best coaching.

Archived