Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst team to make the super bowl?

rvan1

The Ravens. Great defense but the most pathetic offense I'd ever seen. It was worse than our offense under Spurrier.

That team could run the ball though. They had the best defense in the league and a great rushing attack. I believe they were something like 5th in rushing and 16th in overall offense. Spurrier never put together an offense that was better than 13th in anything.

I might agree that Dilfer was the worst QB to win a SB, but the rest of that team was pretty good.

No way were they worse than the Giants team they beat that year.

The common thread with the Falcons & the 2000 giants, they got to play Minny in the NFC Title game. The Vikings always choke.

That being said, the Falcons were 14-2 that year. And had career years from Chris Chandler & Jamal Anderson. But everything fell into place for them.

The defending NFC Champion Packers got knocked out in the first round in San Francisco. (The Rice non-fumble/Owens, Owens, Owens) game. Then, the 49ers then had their primary running back, Garrison Hearst tear his knee in 7 different directions on the first play of the divisional game against Atlanta. Add the Vikes in the title game, you have a perfect recipe for a ****ty superbowl.

Hearst broke his ankle in several places almost had it amputated.

But cmon ATL came back from 10 down late in the game to win in minnesota. Gotta give em sum props.

How bout the 65 chiefs? Dominated all day by green bay and blown away 35-10 in the first super bowl.

2000 Giants appears to be the worse I've seen. Lost to the Ravens who is dependent on their great defense to help them score or establish field position.

I wonder how things would have turned out if the Rams had beaten the Saints in the Wildcard playoffs.

i'd have to say its definitely the 95 steelers team with odonnell throwing for the steelers to the cowboys all night.

Are you kidding me? They were the best team in the AFC that year and easily could have beat the Cowboys if it weren't for Neil giving away belated Christmas presents to them.

I say the Chargers are one of my picks. They got stomped by the 49'ers. Another would be the Bengals when they lost the 49'ers the first time. I've heard some say that the only reason that they made it to the Super Bowl that year is because they played the Chargers(Dan Fouts, Winslow) in the AFC Championship where the weather was like -5 degress and the wind chill was like -40 making throwing the ball damn near impossible.

I have a question for the "elder" people on this board. Just how good were the Eagles(with Jaworski) who played the Raiders in the "Heidi" game? Were they even that good?

Are you kidding me? They were the best team in the AFC that year and easily could have beat the Cowboys if it weren't for Neil giving away belated Christmas presents to them.

I say the Chargers are one of my picks. They got stomped by the 49'ers. Another would be the Bengals when they lost the 49'ers the first time. I've heard some say that the only reason that they made it to the Super Bowl that year is because they played the Chargers(Dan Fouts, Winslow) in the AFC Championship where the weather was like -5 degress and the wind chill was like -40 making throwing the ball damn near impossible.

I have a question for the "elder" people on this board. Just how good were the Eagles(with Jaworski) who played the Raiders in the "Heidi" game? Were they even that good?

The hiedi game was regular season game between the jets and raiders.

The bengals only lost to the 49ers by 4 points in both there super bowl apperances

That Giants v Ravens Super Bowl featured the two worst teams ever to be in the big game. I know, I know that Ravens defense was one of the best of all time but Trent Dilfer at QB? Ugh. I miss the days when Super Bowl teams had to be great on both sides of the ball.

Also that at Atlanta Falcons team that made the Super Bowl wasn't worthy either.

And while I'm at it I think Bill Belichek is a great coach but his Patriot teams were really blah. Very good on both sides of the ball but neither unit was ever dominating. And they won games by the skin of their teeth. Sorry but I have to say even though they've won 3 titles I still think those Patriot squads are mediocre WHEN they're compared to other great Super Bowl teams of the past.

How about the 79 Rams. They finished the season at 9-7. Their NFC Championship Game (against the Bucs) has to be the worst matchup of all time. They did put up a pretty good fight against the Steelers but still they were not a very good team. When your qbs are Pat Haden,Vince Ferragamo and Jeff Rutledge, you are in a world of hurt.

It's kind of ironic that none of the great Chuck Knox led Rams teams got to a Super Bowl and neither did the John Robinson Rams teams but some guy named Ray Malavasi got them there.

The Falcons hands down..they didn't stand a chance. Eugene Robinson screwing around before the game, and the fluke missed field goal by Gary Anderson in the NFC Championship, he hadn't missed a kick all year.

Randall Cunningham had an unbelievable year, just throwing the ball as far as he could, i think it was Moss's rookie season. The Vikings had 3 good receivers, and Robert Smith..that is an almost unstoppable offense.

wouldnt say atl was the worst but when they beat minn i thought oh well looks like the elway will finally get his ring

i gotta go with collins giants

Atlanta was a 14-2 team. They were no joke when they went to the superbowl. Jamal Anderson was a load; the defense was very solid and the passing game was pretty good. Had Minnesota not gone 15-1 that year, nobody would be calling Atlanta's superbowl run a fluke.

85 Patriots were pathetic. The were the last team to do what Pitt did this year in winning 3 road games to get to the SB. Everyone felt bad for them as soon as they won the game against Miami 31-14. You had to wonder if Shula just let them win too to avoid another SB loss. That Chicago team would have beaten any team all time I am pretty sure (except for a good Gibbs coached Redskins team).

79 Rams couldn't have been very good either and were just lucky to be in the SB. I don't remember this one though.

2000 Giants were bad too but they had a few career years that year to get them home field advantage.

1994 Chargers were lucky to be there and had 0 chance.

The 1996 Patriots got lucky that the Jags knocked the 13-3 Broncos out of the playoffs.

The 1992 Bills team was destined for a loss after the 2 previous SB losses, esp with Kelly injured.

The Pats in 85, 96, the Chargers in 94 Bills 3 and 4, and the Giants in 2000 were the only teams that I gave no chance before the game even started. I remember talking to a Giants fan before that game with the Ravens and even he agreed that the Giants were going to get spanked. I remember giving my boss at work 10 points in the Charger/49er game and still laughing at his stupidity.

The Worst SB winning team might have been the 1987 Redskins though. That team did some amasing things in just getting to that game.

The Worst SB winning team might have been the 1987 Redskins though. That team did some amasing things in just getting to that game.

:notworthy

I agree with you. I just didn't have the guts to put it in my post.

87 Skins were really lucky the Niners got knocked out by the Vikings.

Still, the trophy sure looks as nice as the other two. :D

This year's teams are relatively weak, I think. Pittsburgh got hot at the right time, but really had a pretty mediocre season. Seattle, meanwhile, played well all year but didn't have that tough of a schedule.

Still the 01 Giants were pretty weak for a Super Bowl team. The Falcons were weak (for a Super Bowl team) back in 98 or whatever.

Archived