Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider Evaluation: WR Sinorice Moss

Jino

Here is a partial report on Sinorice Moss. I don't think we should draft him at all. However, this report should give you a more detailed analysis about him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/news/story?id=2302243

"He is one of the fastest prospects in the 2006 draft class and shows a lot of upside as a No. 2 or No. 3 slot-type receiver. He can get vertical as a route runner and make plays after the catch. He also has great experience as a gunner on special teams and, despite little experience, shows upside as a punt returner.

If Moss can show the ability to separate against bigger, stronger cornerbacks at the Senior Bowl this week and also prove capable of at least competing for playing time as a return man, he could elevate his draft stock and become late first-round pick."

PRACTICE NOTES

Monday (1/23/06): Moss is even smaller than advertised. His lack of height is a major concern. Practice was light with very little contact, so Moss' weaknesses were not exposed today. His quickness, change-of-direction skills and speed really stand out in one-on-one and seven-on-seven drills. He shows very good concentration catching the ball. He plucks the ball quickly on the run. He is able to tuck it away and get upfield with great initial burst. He showed the ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls on a couple of occasions today.

Tuesday (1/24/06): Although this was not a physical practice, Moss shined on Tuesday. Clearly he is much smaller than what is ideal by NFL standards and he will be ranked very low on several team's boards that are trying to improve upon the size of their receivers, but Moss eats up a cornerback's cushion very rapidly, shows outstanding quickness and catches the ball consistently with his hands and away from his body. Moss stood out on Tuesday and made quite a few plays as a receiver and was also sure-handed as both a punt and kickoff returner.

Wednesday (1/25/06): Like yesterday's report, it must be prefaced that this was not a contact situation, but Moss has been very impressive during the Senior Bowl practices. Wednesday was no different as he caught everything in site and showed pluck hands with balls thrown away from him or over his head. For this reason along with his ability to get up in the air, Moss' catching radius is bigger than most players his size. There isn't a cornerback on the South roster that can cover Moss one-on-one in these drills and his routes are improving and his ability to push a cushion remains outstanding.

I wouldn't like to see us draft him. During the Senior bowl practice, the guy made a great point. He said you can't make a team up of small recievers, but you can have 1 small reciever to be a deep threat difference maker. So having two small oppose to drafting a tall WR would not be as good. My opinion. Don't Flame!! :)

I think you are right in that we don't draft him...in the second round...but, I would take a good hard look at him in the 4th round if he is still on the board. He would be valuable to have as a returner and a speed guy if Santana goes down...or if we go five wide...

Biggest concern with a 5'8 receiver in Gibbs' system is blocking downfield for a running back. He obviously has speed and separation ability so you don't put him in position to go for jump balls (although Steve Smith did a great job against Chicago with his). Overall he would be a great addition if he has the same work ethic and great hands. We could also use him on special teams as a returner. Definitely worth a look if available in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

I don't understand why you can't make a team up of small receivers, especially if you have a player like Chris Cooley who can serve as that guy who will work the middle of the field. I mean, there's no way you can double team them both Moss's.

I think his size will scare some teams away but I think he can make a great #3 receiver here for the nex couple of years until he's ready to step into a starting role. A receiving corp for example of Moss, Givens, Moss squared, and Cooley would be dangerous. You can't double team the entire field.

Santana already said that his brother should not come to the Redskins. I'm sure that if Sinorce was an option JG thought of, Santana put his 2 cents in. He does not want to be on the same team with his brother. He doesn not want him to live in his shadow.

I agree that we are not in a position to take him until a later round. IMO he is not a valid option for us at this point, as we have other needs that we must fill. If we get a very solid #2 possession receiver through FA, then I would be willing to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on him to help stretch the field and keep some of the heat of Santana. I'm not sold on him as much as I was Santana when he came out. However, Sinorice also didn't really emerge until his senior year, so he could have a real upside as far as his feel for the game and developing the toughness to take big hits in the NFL. I don't know..

He is doing very well and it's hard not to think about how good Santana is with Redskins...well, what do you think Coach Gibbs, Coach Saunders?

I agree whole-heartedly that this team could benefit from having a big wide receiver, but I think it is just as important to note, as many have already, that "going across the middle" and being a "possession" guy is as much mentality as it is size.

Look at what Steve Smith does in Carolina. He goes across the middle all the time. He's a tough dude. His size doesn't stop him from doing anything. He's strong, quick, and very, very tough.

Let's, for example, take a look at who Peyton Manning is throwing the ball to:

Marvin Harrison: Just barely 6'0, 175

Reggie Wayne: Also barely 6'0, 198

Brandon Stokely: 5'11 197

I know we don't have Manning throwing the ball (that may be good come playoff time) but the fact is, he gets by w/o a monster (physcially) on the offensive side of the ball.

Also, the New England Patriots:

Deion Branch: 5'9 193

Troy Brown: 5'10 196

David Givens: Barely 6'0 212

I mean the list goes on, team by team. Just as there is kind of a trend going towards lighter DE's (Strahan dropped weight, Umenyora, Freeney, etc) the "Small" WR is becoming a very good weapon in the NFL.

Deion Branch was the last SuperBowl MVP. Steve Smith had the trifecta this season. We all know the season that Santana had.

Sinorice Moss came in to Senior Bowl practice at 5'8" 183 lbs. He was described as "small but strong".

I think if this team gets good QB play, two rather short wide receivers can be perfectly acceptable, particuarly in a Saunders offense which really spreads the field laterally and vertically.

As far as Santana not wanting Sinorice in his shadow, tough luck. Ask Eli. No matter what he does he will always be compared to big bro.

Is Sinorice right for this team? I don't know, thats Joe Gibbs decision. Could he play a huge roll in this offense in the future and possibly sooner on special teams? I believe he could.

Santana already said that his brother should not come to the Redskins. I'm sure that if Sinorce was an option JG thought of, Santana put his 2 cents in. He does not want to be on the same team with his brother. He doesn not want him to live in his shadow.

When/where did he say that? (not saying that he didn't just wanted to know)

When/where did he say that? (not saying that he didn't just wanted to know)

Total access had a few good interviews with Santana and he said he would like to see his brother do good but not on the same team as him. Reason for it was so he could make his own name instead of Santana's little brother, I heard that too.

Archived