Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Ring of Fame - Who is on it?

inmate running the asylum

I've never attended a Redskins game in person at Fed Ex-Field or even at RFK, so who's names are on the Redskins Ring of Fame? I read somewhere there are 40 names on it.

I believe I checked Redskins.com once, but I don't think even they list all the names.

Some of the names on it would seem to be obvious -- like Darrell Green, Joe Theismann, George Allen, John Riggins, Joe Gibbs, etc., but who are the other players?

Does anyone have a list of all the names? Thanks.

http://www.redskins.com/team/history-70.jsp

"Every Redskin in the Pro Football Hall of Fame is represented among the 70 Greats and every player and coach in the team's Ring of Fame at FedExField is on the list as well. "

I havent every compared the list to whats actually in the stadium, but I cant think of a name on that list that I havent seen in the stadium although I cant be sure if there hasnt been a name Ive seen in the ring not on that list. I think Jack Kent Cooke is in the ring but I could be wrong. Ya know till you asked this question I would have never guessed there was 70 names up there, but now that I think about it I can see that.

::edit:: I just reread that, that doesnt say all on the list are in the ring, just that those in the ring are also on the list. Sorry this post didnt help ya :silly:

I was at the games where Doug Williams, Dexter Manley, Art Monk and Joe Gibbs were inducted into the Ring. I can't remember who else is on there but I'm sure it's the who's who of Skins history. The folks who are missing are probably more of the recent "greats" like Brian Mitchell and Ken Harvey.

Interesting that Wayne Curry is on there. He was the PG County executive that helped get the stadium done. I remember one of his demands was that the first 2,000 seats or waiting list spots would be given to PG County residents. He also got a suite in the deal. I wonder if his name in the ring was part of the deal too?

Wow, it looks like you were right. Wayne Curry isn't a name that I know anyway but all I could find about him and the Redskins was stuff like this: http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/levey/bob0127.htm

What I'm wondering is how is Bill Dudley on the list as well. Thats like making Larry Centers or Deion Sanders a ring of fame member.

I'm sure that if I looked at that list longer I would find another oddity like that too.

It's right here:

http://www.redskins.com/news/mediaguide/2005Year-by-YearStatistics.pdf

Scroll all the way to the bottom page. There are 41 people on it.

Thanks. I haven't bought a media guide in quite a few years. I guess I'll have to buy the 2006 guide now.

There are some surprising names on there. I wonder what the criteria is for deciding who goes on? And who decides now? Is it strictly up to Dan Snyder or is there a committee that decides?

As for players on the list, Pat Fischer and Eddie LeBaron were good and colorful players, but they were hardly "all-time greats." I could be wrong, but to my recollection I don't ever recall Pat Fischer making all-pro. :whoknows:

As for players on the list, Pat Fischer and Eddie LeBaron were good and colorful players, but they were hardly "all-time greats." I could be wrong, but to my recollection I don't ever recall Pat Fischer making all-pro. :whoknows:

Pat Fischer made the Pro Bowl twice, once in 1965 as a Cardinal and again in 1969 as a Redskin. I don't think he was selected for any wire service lists (e.g., AP) but I could be wrong.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/misc/pb1965.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/misc/pb1969.htm

Was he an all-time great? Probably not. But his hitting and overall toughness made him a fan favorite, and that may have played a part in his selection as a Ring of Fame member.

Well there are a few locks in there:

Heath Shuler, Desmond Howard, Andre Johnson, etc.

But after that you have to dig deeper to find some great Redskins of our time.

We had a pair of workhorse running backs in Jamie "not as good as my brother" Morris and Reggie "not as good as Jamie Morris" Brooks.

Who can forget some of our great WRs of our time in Michael "it's not my fault" Westbrook and Tydus "not from in Living Color" Winans?

We had all kinds of famous hogs along our Oline. But now I can only think of Shar Pourdanash, Joe Patton, and Mo Elewonibi.

On the defensive side we really had some legends like Tracy Rocker of Tecmo Bowl fame.

And I know we are a little thin at DE now. But at least we can look back in history in awe at some Redskins legend like Sterling Palmer, Dexter Nottage, and Shane "not to be confused with Andre" Collins.

You wanna talk DBs? Go no further than Stanley "Rosco would have been better" Richard or Matt "where's Rocket Ismail?" Stevens.

Oh the memories......

......oh did you say FAME? My bad....

Archived