Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next year's expectation set too high?

ManleyMann71

I was EXTREMEly satisfied with this season's results(5-1 NFC East, 10-6 overall, playoff birth and playoff win). All in all it was a great situation, nobody expected us to do much, and we shut 'em all up. But now, looking forward to next season, the fact the Skins are now back on the national map. Could we be setting ourselves up for let down, next year if we 11-5 and lose the NFC Championship game. My concern is what would be considered a great season, would be sluffed off as mediocrity?????

P.S. give it up for my first thread :applause:

I was EXTREMEly satisfied with this season's results(5-1 NFC East, 10-6 overall, playoff birth and playoff win). All in all it was a great situation, nobody expected us to do much, and we shut 'em all up. But now, looking forward to next season, the fact the Skins are now back on the national map. Could we be setting ourselves up for let down, next year if we 11-5 and lose the NFC Championship game. My concern is what would be considered a great season, would be sluffed off as mediocrity?????

:applause: :applause: for the great thread.

I am with you I want us to win the Super Bowl but if we go 11-5 I won't down play it.If we choked like the Colts though then I will be dissapointed.

you can never set expectations too high. This team is VERY strong, when they can click and play to thier full potential, they can go about as far as you could ever want a team to go. You know that, i know that and any person on this board, or any true Redskins fan for that matter can understand what this team is capable of.

I stated in an earlier thread that I enjoy being the underdog way more because no one expects you to do it. Without a doubt, expectations will be highER next year, but we won't know exactly until close to the beginning of the season.

i would tend to agree with you on the underdog thing. I found it kind of enjoyable last year when no gave us a shot in hell to win a single game.

And also, I dont think that our expectations are set to high for next year. Already, we have a better team than last year with the addition of saunders(of course, we all know a coach goes a long way) If we retain everyone from last year(which is for the most part possible), then I think with that alone, we will be a force in the NFC. add a couple of key components in the draft, and maybe FA, and then there is no reason why we shouldnt make NFCC

Any improvement on this season is a championship game fo a chance at the Bowl. What let down would that be??

Hail!:point2sky

I understand what you are saying, I have the same thoughts. I do not want another repeat of the 2000 season. :doh: All we can do as fans is stay humbled and supportive. I think as long as we keep improving and reaching new heights then it is good. For real, if we finish 10-6 again and make the playoffs as the division leader instead of a wild card then that would be great too. All improvements are warrented, and none are too small. Who cares what the media thinks is mediocrity.

What I expect and what I hope are 2 different things. I hope the Redskins will make it to the Superbowl next season. Hell, I think if they had gotten by Seattle, they would have been able to get by Carolina. I do expect the team to at least repeat it's record from this season. Considering the addition of Saunders and the core group of players staying, that isn't a high expectation.....right now. What happens between now and the season opener dictates, for me, whether or not my expectations will be raised. Too early in the year to set myself up. :silly:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with thinking that we will do better next year than this year. Like PCS said, its deffinitely too early to tell what we are gonna be working with next year, but I don't see us losing too much. Saunders is an automatic boost, and I just hope we can make a few key acquisitions to put us over the top. I do believe we will win our division next year, though. Just a feeling.

I understand what you are saying, I have the same thoughts. I do not want another repeat of the 2000 season. :doh: All we can do as fans is stay humbled and supportive. I think as long as we keep improving and reaching new heights then it is good. For real, if we finish 10-6 again and make the playoffs as the division leader instead of a wild card then that would be great too. All improvements are warrented, and none are too small. Who cares what the media thinks is mediocrity.

Hopefully we can mimick the 1991 season with a 14-2 record, after the 2nd round divisional loss to SF in 1990. The parallels are there...and that was the last season Gibbs coached after a divisional playoff loss...

Heck no, we just have to learn how to beat good teams consistently on the road as well as at home, and not lose to teams like Oakland (which was really the only inexcusable loss of the season).

Ah, the annual downplaying of expectations so that if the team does not achieve to its potential those who took the safe side can lambast those who dare to express their dissapointment. :)

No. More like one of many similar threads we'll see between now and season's opening that pits some members against others by way of offering their opinion of where they think the team should finish based on the very subjective view of the teams potential. Keeping in mind of course, that if one can downplay expectations one can certainly set them too high.

Guest GibbSkins11
:applause: :applause: for the great thread.

I am with you I want us to win the Super Bowl but if we go 11-5 I won't down play it.If we choked like the Colts though then I will be dissapointed.

WHATS UP WITH UR SIG A REDSKIN LOGO AND COWBOY COLORS WTF:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

WHATS UP WITH UR SIG A REDSKIN LOGO AND COWBOY COLORS WTF:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Thanks for the contribution CAPtain :rolleyes:

No. More like one of many similar threads we'll see between now and season's opening that pits some members against others by way of offering their opinion of where they think the team should finish based on the very subjective view of the teams potential. Keeping in mind of course, that if one can downplay expectations one can certainly set them too high.

Well, what is the team's potential? Surely their potential is higher than the previous year if their team returns intact. ;)

Well, what is the team's potential? Surely their potential is higher than the previous year if their team returns intact. ;)

And therein lies the point. If. Way too many ifs when it comes to judging a teams "potential". Especially at this early point in the year.

Expectations are set higher. This team has progressed in each of the last 2 seasons and with the moves that have already been made, its safe to expect us to go further into the playoffs than this year. Super Bowl obviously would be nice though.

And therein lies the point. If. Way too many ifs when it comes to judging a teams "potential". Especially at this early point in the year.

An inate argument if I may: Every team has a ton of potential, no player would even be in the NFL if they weren't one of the 32 best people in the world at what they do. So to the earlier point of what makes potential? Is it having the players and coaches that aren't in the top 32 in the world but the top 10? If so, then how much difference is there between #32 and #10, a world of difference or is it minute.... As NFL fans we always have high expectations b/c we know our own teams potential (Skins fans are perpetually guilty). Bottom line, nothing short of complete meltdown in personell could lower expectations, forget about ifs, as it stands, I expect a LOT from this team next year, and it would be amazing just to duplicate our division record, and there are no better words to a sports fan than "I told you so"....

Archived