Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaches and Dan Snyder

Burgold

Uh, yep.

Pretty amusing isn't it?

It was said if he got rid of Marty no one would want to work for him. In come Spurrier and Lewis, very in demand folks. They leave, in come Gibbs, Williams and the rest of a very able crew.

Remember a few years ago everyone was saying Snyder was a horrible owner and manipulator and no good coach will ever agree to work with him? I think it was right before Snyder hired Marty. Really had great foresight, huh?

$5 Million a year will make people do a lot of things they wouldn't normally do.

I do think Snyder has become a better owner. But I still don't think he's a great one. I think his money is able to buy him out of a lot of disasters on the coaching front, and having Gibbs suddenly get interested in coaching again was a minor miracle.

$5 Million a year will make people do a lot of things they wouldn't normally do.

I do think Snyder has become a better owner. But I still don't think he's a great one. I think his money is able to buy him out of a lot of disasters on the coaching front' date=' and having Gibbs suddenly get interested in coaching again was a minor miracle.[/quote']

The greatest move this franchise ever made in its entire 70+ year history was the hiring of Joe Gibbs in 1980.

The second-greatest move was the re-hiring of Gibbs in 2004. Gibbs came back because Dan Snyder BROUGHT him back. You dont seriously think Joe called up Redskins Park and said, 'Hey, anyone there need a HOF Head Coach to come back to the team?'

GIve credit where its due.

The greatest move this franchise ever made in its entire 70+ year history was the hiring of Joe Gibbs in 1980.

The second-greatest move was the re-hiring of Gibbs in 2004. Gibbs came back because Dan Snyder BROUGHT him back. You dont seriously think Joe called up Redskins Park and said, 'Hey, anyone there need a HOF Head Coach to come back to the team?'

No doubt that you are right. I think he was referring to Marty. It's a little creepy, though, to see that repy with your avatar. ;)

...says the man with the skeletal couch potato sig :laugh:

I appreciate your appreciation, but It should be gone now?!

(It was a luck thing, one of the guys who works for me got it in vegas the week before the rams game, I slapped the skins helmet on him and lo and behold. So I thought the Karma would increase if I shared. Around the office they call him "Skinny"):laugh:

:cheers:

Gibbs started the move by poking around with the Falcons.

Yes, Snyder got him back. But Gibbs showed intertest in the NFL first, Spurrier then left, and the timing was perfect. If Spurrier had left and Gibbs had not talked to the Falcons, Dick Jauron might be the coach right now.

Snyder has been fairly and unfairly bashed for quite some time. The early years problems with snyder is he was too hands on. Lets face it, we have probobly the NFLs greatest owner in terms of what he is willing to do for our team. He will do anything for the Redskins. Problem was, he was trying to make decisions on what to do himself, something he has no knowhow in. Once he hired Gibbs, he had the man to make all those decisions, and he could do what he does best. Snyder now does whatever it takes, whatever Gibbs asks for, to win, and that is why he is a great owner. He signs the checks, and he charters 747s to Seattle catered by mortons. Who in the league WOULDNT want to play for the Redskins?

Claiming he's a "great" owner is premature. Let's win a few superbowls first then talk about greatness. I do think that he's matured as an owner and has really made some good moves lately. He seems to be more patient now that a proven leader like Gibbs is on board.

Not sure that greatness is defined by championships for the owner. I think that a great owner sets the table and changes the place settings to give the staff what they need, but I don't know that the blame or praise for a Superbowl ever belongs to the owner. I guess it can to the degree that he is in charge of the purse and deciding who the coaches will be, but the responsiblilities for victory aren't really his.

Archived