Extremeskins

Musgrave new Falcons' QB coach

RunPortisRun

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/0125falcons.html

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/24/06

Michael Vick has a new tutor and the Falcons finally have a new quarterbacks coach.

Bill Musgrave, who most recently coached quarterbacks with the Washington Redskins, was hired by Atlanta Tuesday, coach Jim Mora said. Musgrave, who interviewed for roughly three hours Tuesday morning with Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, was scheduled to take a real estate tour before returning to Washington Tuesday afternoon and was unavailable for comment.

He begins his new job Monday, Mora said. Musgrave replaces Mike Johnson, whose contract was not renewed after the season.

Musgrave?s hire was deemed ?huge? by Mora because he has played and coached in the West Coast scheme the Falcons utilize. Musgrave was a backup to Steve Young with the San Francisco 49ers and to John Elway in Denver.

Mora also said Musgrave can offer some new perspective to the Falcons? system because he has served as an offensive coordinator in Philadelphia, Carolina, Jacksonville and the University of Virginia, where he coached Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

Having played quarterback in the NFL also should help Musgrave relate to the team?s young quarterbacks, Mora said.

Mora even went so far as to say that Musgrave?s knowledge of what the Falcons want to do with their quarterbacks is already so sound, that Knapp can relinquish some of his control of coaching quarterbacks and concentrate more on formulating the entire offense and weekly game plans.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/0125falcons.html

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/24/06

Michael Vick has a new tutor and the Falcons finally have a new quarterbacks coach.

Bill Musgrave, who most recently coached quarterbacks with the Washington Redskins, was hired by Atlanta Tuesday, coach Jim Mora said. Musgrave, who interviewed for roughly three hours Tuesday morning with Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, was scheduled to take a real estate tour before returning to Washington Tuesday afternoon and was unavailable for comment.

He begins his new job Monday, Mora said. Musgrave replaces Mike Johnson, whose contract was not renewed after the season.

Musgrave?s hire was deemed ?huge? by Mora because he has played and coached in the West Coast scheme the Falcons utilize. Musgrave was a backup to Steve Young with the San Francisco 49ers and to John Elway in Denver.

Mora also said Musgrave can offer some new perspective to the Falcons? system because he has served as an offensive coordinator in Philadelphia, Carolina, Jacksonville and the University of Virginia, where he coached Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

Having played quarterback in the NFL also should help Musgrave relate to the team?s young quarterbacks, Mora said.

Mora even went so far as to say that Musgrave?s knowledge of what the Falcons want to do with their quarterbacks is already so sound, that Knapp can relinquish some of his control of coaching quarterbacks and concentrate more on formulating the entire offense and weekly game plans.

TRAITOR!!! We'd better kick the Falcons ass next year when they come to our house.

I wonder if he'll take Brunell with him (coached him in Jax).

As far as the lateral move question, if the team declines to let a coach interview, then you cannot interview that coach for any position other than the head coach. Obviously the Redskins granted him permission to interview with other teams.

I wonder if he'll take Brunell with him (coached him in Jax).

As far as the lateral move question, if the team declines to let a coach interview, then you cannot interview that coach for any position other than the head coach. Obviously the Redskins granted him permission to interview with other teams.

I hope he does take Brunell...that would save us alot of cap money. But I have my doubts Gibbs would release him.

What a pile of crap reporting.

No mention whatsoever of just how exactly Musgrave was able to extricate himself from his current contract IN A CLEARLY LATERAL MOVE. And why the hell would he want that job anyway? He's got plenty more to work with in JC than MV, at least from a passing perspective.

God forbid our offense takes any steps back next year and this tool is to blame. Geez, one freakin' year. Thanks buddy...nice to see you just took this job to pad your resume and not because you cared about the franchise, players, etc.

This will probably come off as unduly harsh but it just irks me for some reason. It's like sometimes the rules apply to these coaches and sometimes they don't.

curious questions as to who our next QB coach will be. I am surprised that anyone would wish to leave Gibbs for a lateral move which makes me wonder if there is a lot more to this than we know. One possibility could be that when he was offered the interview we encouraged him to take it so that Saunders can bring in some of his own people to fill some roles.

Right now I hope Jack Burns doesn't go back to the position, but I am sure Gibbs and Saunders will know how to properly prep our QB

What a pile of crap reporting.

No mention whatsoever of just how exactly Musgrave was able to extricate himself from his current contract IN A CLEARLY LATERAL MOVE. And why the hell would he want that job anyway? He's got plenty more to work with in JC than MV, at least from a passing perspective.

God forbid our offense takes any steps back next year and this tool is to blame. Geez, one freakin' year. Thanks buddy...nice to see you just took this job to pad your resume and not because you cared about the franchise, players, etc.

This will probably come off as unduly harsh but it just irks me for some reason. It's like sometimes the rules apply to these coaches and sometimes they don't.

Do you think it could be because we now have sixteen offensive geniuses on the staff and his services are no longer required?

A lateral move to work with Michael Vick would probably be intriguing to any QB coach.

Archived