Extremeskins

DFW: Great sign: Jerry Jones doing draft scouting w/o Parcells

goldenster95

Keep it up, Jerrah. And keep the info coming on your draft strategy. :applause:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/13698723.htm

Cowboys' options still open

By RICK HERRIN

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FAIRHOPE, Ala. - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made the trip to this year's Senior Bowl without Bill Parcells.

Jones, son and Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones and the scouting department attended Monday's first practice for Saturday's game and watched the South team at Fairhope Municipal Stadium near Mobile.

With Parcells in Dallas reshaping his staff, Jones and the scouts were checking out the talent, keeping a close eye on the offensive linemen. They got a good look at a group that includes tackles Marcus McNeill of Auburn, Miami's Eric Winston and Texas' Jonathan Scott. McNeill (6-foot-8, 332 pounds) could be available when the Cowboys select 18th overall in the first round.

But despite the need at tackle, Jones said the Cowboys would likely look at a lineman after the first round.

"Obviously these offensive linemen need to be looked at," Jones said. "Especially any time we can look at one, not the first [pick] but maybe later."

Instead, the Cowboys might focus on a safety or linebacker in the early rounds. The Cowboys might be considering Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter and Texas safety Michael Huff, who aren't playing in the Senior Bowl.

The Cowboys also want to look at wide receivers, because Keyshawn Johnson is 33 years old and Terry Glenn is 31.

"Receiver is another place we need to start looking, too, with the age of our receivers," Jones said.

Access denied

Jerry Jones is making sure the Cowboys don't lose any more assistant coaches.

In an effort to keep Parcells' staff intact, Jones said he has blocked permission for assistants to interview with other teams. He said he has received three to four requests.

"We have had clubs call about our position coaches and that's not in our best interest [letting them interview]," Jones said.

Surprise guest

As Jerry Jones was leaving Fairhope Stadium, an ex-Cowboy surprised him.

Former defensive lineman Leon Lett came to see Jones, who couldn't stop smiling after seeing his former star. Lett, 37, lives in Dallas, but was in the Mobile area visiting his family. Lett, who works in real estate, grew up in Fairhope, Ala. Lett played with the Cowboys from 1991-2000.

It was somewhat of a Super Bowl reunion for the Cowboys. Former offensive coordinator Norv Turner, now offensive coordinator for the 49ers, was on the field as part of the South team's coaching staff.

I wouldn't read too much into it. - The Priority for them right now is finding coaches to replace the two that left, so Parcells is doing that.

They have plenty of time to look at film from the sonior bowl later.

...this is interesting

Former offensive coordinator Norv Turner, now offensive coordinator for the 49ers, was on the field as part of the South team's coaching staff.

Norv will be in his what. 8th stint as senior bowl coach?

Last couple of years have worked out pretty well, dont ya think?

Are you talking about the scouting of the QB position where you have the QB of the future on your roster? :laugh:

Or wait, are you talking about the scouting which has enabled you to get to the playoffs 1 out of the last 6 years?

I'm confused. :(

In what way has it worked out pretty well, exactly?

Hmmm lets see Art. Take those puke and gold glasses off and take a looksy.

7th round- Patrick Crayton (Good WR, better than your #2 and he is our 3. Oh and you guys should remeber him well.)

7th round- Rob Pettiti- Maybe not a starter but great value for a 7th rounder to start 16 games and even just make the roster.

2nd round- Finding Julius, a nice shifty runner who is excellent when healthy. Combine that with the next pick and you have a nice backfield.

4th round- Marion Barber. See above

1st round- Demarcus Ware. His rookie numbers speak for themselves. They will only get better.

1st round- Marcus Spears. Solid freshman season, starter next season

4th round- Chris Canty. Took over for Ellis about halfway through. The only reason he made it this far down is because concerns over a retina injury. He made the full recovery.

Thats why it was a sucess. Find me more Skins draft picks that have started and contributed (1st-7th rounds) and I will say that they are equal. We have had huge draft success and your 1st rounder didnt even start that much this season. Amen. :applause: :cheers:

Hmmm lets see Art. Take those puke and gold glasses off and take a looksy.

7th round- Patrick Crayton (Good WR, better than your #2 and he is our 3. Oh and you guys should remeber him well.)

7th round- Rob Pettiti- Maybe not a starter but great value for a 7th rounder to start 16 games and even just make the roster.

2nd round- Finding Julius, a nice shifty runner who is excellent when healthy. Combine that with the next pick and you have a nice backfield.

4th round- Marion Barber. See above

1st round- Demarcus Ware. His rookie numbers speak for themselves. They will only get better.

1st round- Marcus Spears. Solid freshman season, starter next season

4th round- Chris Canty. Took over for Ellis about halfway through. The only reason he made it this far down is because concerns over a retina injury. He made the full recovery.

Thats why it was a sucess. Find me more Skins draft picks that have started and contributed (1st-7th rounds) and I will say that they are equal. We have had huge draft success and your 1st rounder didnt even start that much this season. Amen. :applause: :cheers:

Key, let's attempt to actually speak truthfully in some small way.

Dallas currently has no answer at receiver, running back, quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line and MAYBE corner beyond the next two or three years. You have no basis in talent to build around. No depth of note.

The difference between you as a Cowboy fan and me as a Redskin fan can be explained as simply as your comment on Crayton. Crayton will be 27-years-old to start next season with a career total of 34 catches and for you, he's young talent you can build around (talent you've incorrectly asserted is superior to anyone else's receivers).

Meanwhile Taylor Jacobs is a superior prospect in all ways, has 30 catches by the time he's 25 and we're completely able to grasp he is not going to be a breakthrough player in the pros. The reason Dallas is looking at receiver according to the guy in charge of such things in Dallas is because Crayton is nothing more than a marginal part-time guy.

It's a shame these differences are so obvious. That they are tells us you probably have too great an impression of your own guys, which is just fine for us. We prefer you to think you're drafting well so Jones keeps his hand in it longer :).

Last couple of years have worked out pretty well, dont ya think?

Last year we had a decent draft...probably the best one in a while. We still need to bring in some young talent on offense. Especially along the offensive line and WR corp. I believe our running game would be fine if we had an offensive line worth anything.

The difference between you as a Cowboy fan and me as a Redskin fan can be explained as simply as your comment on Crayton. Crayton will be 27-years-old to start next season with a career total of 34 catches and for you, he's young talent you can build around (talent you've incorrectly asserted is superior to anyone else's receivers).

Meanwhile Taylor Jacobs is a superior prospect in all ways, has 30 catches by the time he's 25 and we're completely able to grasp he is not going to be a breakthrough player in the pros. The reason Dallas is looking at receiver according to the guy in charge of such things in Dallas is because Crayton is nothing more than a marginal part-time guy.

Art, to be fair... his argument was Crayton was a 7th round pick. To make the squad and contribute a few catches (and a game-breaking play against the Skins last year).... is pretty decent for a 7th round pick. No one expects a 7th round pick to crack the top 3 on the WR chart.

OTOH, Jacobs was a 2nd round pick. He was expected to be a #2 when he was drafted. He hasn't contributed anything (ok, 30 catches).

Although 2 guys have very similar production... the GM marking evaluation on these 2 picks are completely different.

Dallas currently has no answer at receiver, running back, quarterback, offensive tackle, defensive line and MAYBE corner beyond the next two or three years. You have no basis in talent to build around. No depth of note.

It's a shame these differences are so obvious. That they are tells us you probably have too great an impression of your own guys, which is just fine for us. We prefer you to think you're drafting well so Jones keeps his hand in it longer :).

Well...when you consider the age of both starting WRs on the Cowboys roster...Crayton is young, lol.

Leave it to Cowturd fans to try and stick up for their menacing owner's obvious lack of judgement on football talent. It is amazing that the press goes after Snyder when they have Jerry giving them such great material.

Jerry Jones has done one, and only one good thing since becoming an owner for the Cowturds: hiring Jimmy Johnson. Then, he threw it away when he fired Jimmy Johnson. He was able to ride a few seasons on Johnson's team, but once they all left, he was left with his team. We all know how well that has worked out!!!

He played pretty well considering what round he was drafted in. Not starter material but has a future as a decent backup.

Define played pretty well. He has been horrible. The worst lineman on your team. Maybe the worst starting RT in the game.

I don't care what round he was drafted in. If I get drafted in the seventh round and somehow wind up starting for the Boys, you can't wish away my bad performance and say I was a good pick because 7th rounders shouldn't be starting anyway.

Define played pretty well. He has been horrible. The worst lineman on your team. Maybe the worst starting RT in the game.

I don't care what round he was drafted in. If I get drafted in the seventh round and somehow wind up starting for the Boys, you can't wish away my bad performance and say I was a good pick because 7th rounders shouldn't be starting anyway.

The only reason why he was starting was because the line has been decimated by injuries. It was an emergency stop-gap. It's not like he earned it. And despite the experience.... when he plays in the future... you'll know that he'll be the weakest link on your line. So I'm not sure it's encouraging.

Not to mention that he said he'd pick Bill Parcells if he was even stranded on an island with one person. I'll never forget that after I heard it.

I'm confused as too how you say our defense is not set for more than a few years, and is without depth. You pointed out our defensive line in particular, where we ended the year starting two rookies. Not to mention we have Ellis and Glover in rotation who I would take over any Redskins DL. (as of now)

Our QB situation is just as set as yours. Bledsoe was performing better than Brunell untill injuries up front. Granted you have young backups but Ramsey is likely to depart and your 'future' as unproven as Henson and Romo sits to pee.

And I'm also quite happy with our RB situation as long as we shore up our line. We have good depth at the position and we can actually afford to keep it.

And there is also no question in my mind that our Corners are much deeper than the Redskins. Henry, Newman, and Glenn all could be starters on almost any team. Not to mention Reeves performed quite well this year as well. Who are your third and forth corners?

QUOTE]

:rolleyes: Art you are just plain biased or ignorant. C'mon, to say that Dallas has no answer at running back (with two young promising RB's), defensive line (with Chris Canty, Demarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff and Marcus Spears alone all contributing much and playing well as ROOKIES), and corner is just plain rediculous. Terrence Newman, Anthony Henry and Jacque Reeves are very good to servicible/up and coming. Shawn Springs and Walt Harris will be 31 and 32 respectively at the beginning of next season. Carlos Rogers still has ALOT to prove.

C'mon, to say that Dallas has no answer at running back (with two young promising RB's), defensive line (with Chris Canty, Demarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff and Marcus Spears alone all contributing much and playing well as ROOKIES), and corner is just plain rediculous. Terrence Newman, Anthony Henry and Jacque Reeves are very good to servicible/up and coming. Shawn Springs and Walt Harris will be 31 and 32 respectively at the beginning of next season. Carlos Rogers still has ALOT to prove.

Now this is typical of Cowboy fans.

They've got great young talent like Spears, Ware, Canty.... who contributed and played well as rookies.

But Carlos Rogers has a lot to prove.

You see the double-standard?

Archived