Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone want a return to QB controversy?

Rumrunner6900

Ah, the offseason fan deluge of which QB should start over whom....seems like a Redskins tradition as of late!

Does anyone remember the seemingly ongoing QB controversies the Skins have had since Gibbs left the first time? I remember, and I was hoping these days were behind us! Brunell/Campbell/Ramsey seems to be the hot topic these days, especially with the new OC. However, let's not forget that Brunell did a fine job this year, even when injured. To go from 5-6 to end the season 10-6 and make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs is no small feat. I didn't see Ramsey or Campbell lead us there...did you? If Brunell can get healthy this offseaon, there is no reason he shouldn't start next year...he has proven himself capable.

I know many will argue that when Brunell is injured, he can't play. How does he get injured though? Anyone? Perhaps some offensive line upgrades are in order to keep the sacks down on Brunell. We have all seen what it means to a team to have a great O-line. (Seattle, KC) Does anyone remember when Ramsey was starting and looked like David Carr getting sacked so much? Our O-line has made major improvements over the years and needs to continue that.

So, continue to upgrade the O-line, get another WR, and let Brunell start again! The playoffs and Super Bowl XLI may just be on our horizon!

JUST SAY NO TO QB CONTROVERSIES!

Go Skins! :helmet:

There was a QB controversy with Jay Schroeder and Doug Williams midway through the 1987 season, and Williams rose his level of play and carried us to the Super Bowl.

Why did it start though? Injury to Schroeder during the season...and probably the strike that year. Gibbs started Schroeder again after the strike and later in the season benched him again. I agree decisions have to be made midseason, but before the season, with a QB that led us to a good season, there should be no controversy.

No not really but it is going to happen. Marc Brunell is not the long term answer @ QB and Jason Campbell will be the eventual starter. I see the Campbell Era starting this season. Face it, it is going to happen and there is no stopping it!

What is Washington Redskin Football without a QB Controversy.

No not really but it is going to happen. Marc Brunell is not the long term answer @ QB and Jason Campbell will be the eventual starter. I see the Campbell Era starting this season. Face it, it is going to happen and there is no stopping it!.

Do you disagree that another year learning from a vet QB and some of the best coaches ever to be in the NFL would be a bad thing for Jason Campbell? Yes, he is the long term answer, but let him marinate one more year!

What is Washington Redskin Football without a QB Controversy.

A Super Bowl winning team! :point2sky

We cant help but have a QB controversy. We have two young QBs with loads of potential and one old one who pretty much stunk it up. Plus, I really dont think Al Saunders will be as tolerative of Brunnell's horrid play as Joe Gibbs has been.Hopefully, Joe Gibbs will leave the reins loose enough for Saunders to make that call.

Do you disagree that another year learning from a vet QB and some of the best coaches ever to be in the NFL would be a bad thing for Jason Campbell? Yes, he is the long term answer, but let him marinate one more year!

A Super Bowl winning team! :point2sky

At some point Campbell needs to get on the field. He needs to get a feel for the speed and schemes of NFL defenses.

IMO, the guy needs to play. He apparently is the future qb of the team, so why continue to delay the inevitable?

Over the last 12 games of the season, Brunell averaged 153 passing yards per game. How many of those yards came on screen passes? I would guess that almost half of them did and a good portion of the remaining yardage was gained on one deep pass per game. The fact is that Mark Brunell cannot be counted on to move the chains consistantly because he's always backing out of the pocket. Over that same stretch, he had nine touchdown passes, nine interceptions, and nine fumbles. The fact that he turned the ball over so much doesn't help his cause either. He made plenty of mistakes over the last 12 games. He couldn't move the ball and he turned the ball over. Let's play Campbell or Ramsey next season because Mark Brunell Sucks.

There has been a QB controversy ever since Joe Theisman broke his leg. I don;t think a QB has ever started 3 straight season for us in the past 20+ years.

Can Brunell throw the deep out? I don;t think so. Maybe if he leg heals. Ramsey will finally have a QB coach who can make him great. As does Campbell...it will be interesting to see who Al Saunders wants starting...

I think the 'skins have had a qb controversy every year since Sammy Baugh retired. Sonny and Billy was a pretty good one. Remember Theismann and Schroeder, Schroeder and Williams, remember Humphries and Rypien? Gus and Heath? Somehow I've forgotten George and Johnson, but that took some good therapy and drugs. Remember when everyone was in love with Bob Holly and wanted to replace Theismann cause he wasn't getting it done? Redskin fans always love the underdog and the guy not playing. There will be a qb controversy the moment a ball is tipped, intercepted, or incomplete. Grace periods usually last only a year after a Superbowl victory.

Ok....so people do like the QB controversy...maybe I'm alone on not wanting one, but throw me a bone here. If we had a stronger O-line, Brunell would have a little more hope...not to mention the running game would improve, and along with another WR (so Brunell doesn't always have to check down), the offense would be much improved. I guess IMO what is different from this season than in the past is it isn't all the QB's fault we didn't get to the SB.

Ok....so people do like the QB controversy...maybe I'm alone on not wanting one, but throw me a bone here. If we had a stronger O-line, Brunell would have a little more hope...not to mention the running game would improve, and along with another WR (so Brunell doesn't always have to check down), the offense would be much improved. I guess IMO what is different from this season than in the past is it isn't all the QB's fault we didn't get to the SB.

Maybe you feel there's a QB contro. brewing but rest assured Gibbs and Co. will make the best decision for the team to win and chances are they all ready made their choice.

Fans debating and arguing over who the QB should be is kind of the point of a message board, it would be kind of boring if everybody on here said "Mark Brunell is great and will be are starter next year." In fact it would be one long off season if we all shared the same view.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

I wish we could just have one franchise qb, someone we'll know who'll be in there day in, day out, year after year.

IMO, i think redskins fans love the controversy. some love to bicker back and forth, they love the whole "camp" thing that becomes oh so prevalent around august and september. "I'm in the Brunell camp" or "I'm in the Ramsey camp" Well that's great. Who's got the better smores?

I wish we could just have one franchise qb, someone we'll know who'll be in there day in, day out, year after year.

IMO, i think redskins fans love the controversy. some love to bicker back and forth, they love the whole "camp" thing that becomes oh so prevalent around august and september. "I'm in the Brunell camp" or "I'm in the Ramsey camp" Well that's great. Who's got the better smores?

Kinda what I would like, a la Peyton Manning or Tom Brady...and maybe that will be Jason Campbell...just give it one more year.

There was a QB controversy with Jay Schroeder and Doug Williams midway through the 1987 season, and Williams rose his level of play and carried us to the Super Bowl.

Don't forget Billy and Sonny too. The Redskins always have a QB contriversy, for some reason it is just who we are.

Archived