Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is no need to sign a markee WR

NWSkins

I agree that we dont need reggie wayne but we could use a taller guy than what we have on our team. I dont like what ive seen from jacobs and in my opinion thrash at best a no. 3 guy, id be happy signing a good solid tall and athletic number two, how about moulds in buffalo, williams knows him maybe he would work, i still love McCants, is he with philly? i thought he was great. somebody good but not too pricy.

I don't care if it's a big named player, Veteran, Street FA, or drafted rookie.

I am a firm believer in the right guy for the system, and someone who may not been a fit for one team may step up like Moss did last season, given the chance.

Reggie Wayne had great stats in Indy, but he also had Manning, Harrison, Stokey, Clark, James... a wide open offense, and played in a dome. He has skills, but could he get the same production for the Skins?

I don't know...It seems to me that Reggie Wayne is just the type of receiver we need. He's not a number one guy (read: marquee) -- he's a big, fast (enough) threat that can at least keep a defense honest. Moreover, the Steelers may rely on smart QB play but they boast a pretty good receiving squad. In fact, they seem to have a bottomless pit of receivers -- every time I turned around last Sunday someone else was catching the ball. Just because the Lions don't know how to manage their talent doesn't make another receiver less important.

Since a lot of people are screaming for a solid core of wide recievers, comparable to that of the New England Patriots, why not try to grab Givens? That will put Givens and Patten in the #2 and #3 spots like the good old days, and Santana Moss is the short speedy type like Branch (though better than Branch).

Boom, problem solved.

We won't get Reggie Wayne. He'll be expensive, and THE COLTS ARE GOING TO RESIGN HIM! They said, they are going after him hard, much harder than The Edge.

Completley agree we do not need to go out and sign a marquee FA WR. Not unless we are going to completley change our Offensive personality from a run first pass second team. I know we have brought in Al Saunders to open the O up but I still think with our personnel that we need to base around a strong run game. I don't want to see Moss or Cooley geting less touches and that means there will not be THAT many balls for our other WR's to catch.

We do need a better #2 to take some of the defensive coverage away from Moss but that is going to have to come via the second tier of FA wideouts as we just do not have the cap room to sign a Reggie Wayne type player.

And let there be no talk of T.O !!

A line up up of Moss, AN Other FA pick up, Patten, Thrash and young rookie 3/4th round pick looks like the way to go.

HTTR

Martin

Gibbs will find the right piece to the puzzle and it will not be Wayne. I think it will be Moulds! He's older but still playing well and has a history with four 1,000+ yard seasons and had an 816 yard season last year. He will be 33 this summer but I think he has 2-3 seasons left in the tank.

They will find the right mix of wr's. It doesnt need to be a big FA. If I remember correctly the #2 and #3 wrs in Gibs's history were all low to mid draft picks ( Gary Clark, Charlie Brown ) and unknown FA's ( Ricky Sanders ) atleast unknown at the time.

i disagree as well, having a 2nd WR openbs up the passing game more- it prevents the ability to effectively double cover moss, leaving him in single coverage (where he thrives). also, it gives the QB another read during pass routes- having moss/2nd WR?/Patten as 1st reads, then TE's Cooley/Roayl and finally RB Portis in the flat- those are a LOT of good options to throw. and having a great 2nd WR forces the D to open up- want an example??? Look at Indy--> they have Harrison (Moss) and Wayne (2nd WR) to keep the defense honest. seems to work for them, why not for us???

I thought it was marqee? LMAO j/k

anywho, I agree that it would be nice to see Mr. Campbell in there but the O (the players) have seemed to accepted Mark Brunell as the man starting at QB. Now a lot can change in the offseason and Campbell may work his ass off in the preseason and take the job from him, but unless he retires or gets hurt, I see Brunell remaining the starter.

With that said, I would love to see Brandon Lloyd in a Skins uni. I think he would really fit in here as a number 2 or 3 option with patten lined up in the slot. Only time will tell.

I like Lloyd, but I worry about his inability to block due to his small fram (skinny and tall). ALso, espn insider says he has a tough time gettin off the line of scrimmage due to his small frame.

Good points. I've thought about the blocking issues and figured that Buges and Gibbs would work with him to make him a better blocker. I mean Art Monk was one of the best, then again he used to be an RB in college so maybe he picked up the skill there. Santana didn't look too bad with his run blocking last year and I don't recall hearing anyone beaming over his ability to block up in NYC. Who knows?!

NWSKINS I agree with you.

Look at the "great" receiver tandems out there now. Raiders: Moss and Porter, with a solid running back and A strong armed QB...4-12 record.

Arizona- Boldin and Fitzgerald put up great #s, but they finished 5-11 and The Skins put up about 40 more points than the Cards did.

Detroit- well, its detroit. But talent-wise, great WRs.

I honestly think with Saunders here and changing some schemes our passing attack can be very dangerous without adding a Wayne or even a Moulds. We should draft defense.

NWSKINS I agree with you.

Look at the "great" receiver tandems out there now. Raiders: Moss and Porter, with a solid running back and A strong armed QB...4-12 record.

Arizona- Boldin and Fitzgerald put up great #s, but they finished 5-11 and The Skins put up about 40 more points than the Cards did.

Detroit- well, its detroit. But talent-wise, great WRs.

I honestly think with Saunders here and changing some schemes our passing attack can be very dangerous without adding a Wayne or even a Moulds. We should draft defense.

Moss and Porter + Norval = disaster

Boldin and Fitzgerald + a rookie QB for alot of the year + rookie RB =/ success

Detroit = worst coached team in the nfl. made Hasletts NO team look like Lombardi's 60's GB team

Moss and Porter + Norval = disaster

Boldin and Fitzgerald + a rookie QB for alot of the year + rookie RB =/ success

Detroit = worst coached team in the nfl. made Hasletts NO team look like Lombardi's 60's GB team

Right, the point I'm trying to make is having a GREAT 2nd receiver doesn't always mean success.

These are very good receiving tandems that were on teams with losing records this year.

Now Look at the Superbowl teams. Seahawks- Bobby Engram is their 2nd wideout, Joe Jurevicous is the 3rd. Darrell jackson is their starter. Hardly Marquee names.

Steelers- Randel El is a good 2nd receiver, wouldn't call him great. Hines Ward is obviously #1.

Playoff teams:

-Denver made it to the championship game with Rod Smith (#1), and average Ashley Leslie at #2.

-Carolina made it with just a #1 (Steve Smith).

-Can you even name Jacksonville's top 2 wideouts???

-Patriots have had 3 decent receivers, no marquee names

-Bengals have good 2nd/3rd WRs, Carson Palmer got hurt unfortunately

The only playoff team with 2 great WRs were the Colts, and they choked.

I honestly think with Patten back, Thrash healthy and new schemes we'll ok. If anything we should add a CHEAP WR for DEPTH. We should focus Dend in the draft and/or free agency.

You ALMOST felt smart for a minute didn't you ?

We need another WR in my opinion more than a DE. Our offense struggles like crazy. And all those Teams you talked about all had great WR. We need coverage of Moss!

So obviously you think the 2 superbowl squads have great WR tandems.

Patten did take coverage off Moss. That's why he was on pace for a record-breaking season the first half of the season. People forget Patten.

Archived