Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is no need to sign a markee WR

NWSkins

Everyone here seems to be in dire need of signing Reggie Wayne

Well, all i have to say is that the Detroit Lions might just have the most talented WR bunch out there....

And teams like the Pats, Hawks, and Steelers all rely on solid, smart QB play, good D, and a running game. Look where they are..and look where the Lions are :doh:

Jason Campbell is the answer. Not another WR.

Why sign a WR, when you risk losing the talent at another position?

its the salary cap era. The skins front office has to be careful with this one.

does anyone here agree with me that Reggie Wayne is a bad free agent signing? He reminds me of Peerless Price when he was on Buffalo. Just my opinion.

I disagree with the notion of signing a big name WR. We have David Patten. We just didn't use him. We have James Thrash. All we need is a Joe Jurivicious type. That way, we'll be able to keep guys like Ryan Clark and future free agents like Marshall, Dockery, and Sean Taylor.

I just don't see the need for 2 big time WR's. recent SB history would agree with me.

I don't agree. The patriots have a corps of good receivers. We have 1 good receiver, 2 if you count patten. The lions have great receivers, but thats not the reason they are failing in the passing game. It's because ALL they have is great recievers. They have no QB, no offensive line, and no defense. When you're missing those components no one can help you out wide.

This team needs a GOOd #2 THREAT. He needs to be a threat, not a decoy. We get that, and this team automatically becomes a championship force.

Actually, recent superbowl history would disagree with you ... the Rams and Patriots both had 3 or 4 very reliable receivers. Tampa Bay had Keyshawn and a few others that were reliable that season. Taylor Jacobs has not shown himself to be reliable. Patten has shown that he is not a #2 receiver, but was a true #3 or #4 in NE. James Thrash has good straight away speed, but doesn't seem to get open very often either. He didn't really pan out very well for the Eagles as their top receiver and they were more than fine with trading him to the Skins.

I don't think we need Reggie Wayne, but grabbing Eric Moulds while drafting a WR in the later rounds would be a good idea. Moulds could be like Henry Ellard was for us and the young receiver would have a chance to learn the offense and develop. Not many receivers are very good in their first year.

If by some miracle San Francisco allows Brandon Lloyd to get into free agency and his asking price isn't in the 10 - 14M SB arena, I say we should sign him in a heart beat. He is an emerging WR that has a ton of upside and just needs consistency at QB and O-Line to get him better opportunities.

Well, all i have to say is that the Detroit Lions might just have the most talented WR bunch out there....

And teams like the Pats, Hawks, and Steelers all rely on solid, smart QB play, good D, and a running game. Look where they are..and look where the Lions are :doh:

does anyone here agree with me that Reggie Wayne is a bad free agent signing? He reminds me of Peerless Price when he was on Buffalo. Just my opinion.

I disagree with the notion of signing a big name WR. We have David Patten. We just didn't use him. We have James Thrash. All we need is a Joe Jurivicious type. That way, we'll be able to keep guys like Ryan Clark and future free agents like Marshall, Dockery, and Sean Taylor.

I just don't see the need for 2 big time WR's. recent SB history would agree with me.

As much as I'd like to have Reggie Wayne and feel he would fit Saunders offense, I also feel he is going to cost too much money. I would like to pick up David Givens who is a true Team player and isn't too old. Another option would be Randel El.

How recent is recent. Patriots always had branch and brown and even David Givens whose name u hear dropped a lot... carolina had smith and muhammed, eagles had just T.O. but they didn't win, so that doesn't help ur argument. The rams had brue, holt and Ricky Proehl (also on 2004 panthers), um. jerry rice and tim brown. TAMPA had nothing. but they had D.... The redskins had JUST Moss. Patten was useless when healthy and i didn't even notice him gone he was so unproductive. Trash is only good on special teams. Cooley was our 2nd leading receiever. We need another wr presense. Sir, I think you are wrong

you guys are missing my point.

I said there is no need for Reggie Wayne.

I said there is a need for a vet wide reciever like Moulds or Jerivicious that would be a nice upgrade.

Moss

Jer/Moulds

Patten

that is a pretty sweet trio of recievers right there.

The Pats had Branch Givens and Patten in their SB Glory years. Our (hopeful) trio is identical if not better.

I don't think many people have explored the possibility of signing a number of more role-player esq. recievers. A recieving core of Moss, Jurevicius, Givens, and Patten sounds mighty fine to me.

Also, note that Saunders never had anything special in KC - David Patten would definately start on the 2005 Chiefs squad. They only had one WR who had more than 36 receptions... The key to that offense is to spread the ball around, so no, we do not need Reggie Wayne, nor any other "stud" or "marquee" reciever - just a couple of solid recievers to go along with Moss.

The Lions really don't have great recievers. They have stockpiled young talented recievers, but none of them are approaching great yet. Charles Rogers is constantly injured, Roy Williams has quite a way to go and Mike Williams was a rookie and not all too productive. Good? Yes. Great? Not by a long shot.

Givens may be a team player, but he sure as hell isn't as NICE as wayne at the game of football. A little bit of recognizable faces on our team wouldn't hurt. A little more attention to Wayne frees Moss, gives portis a lil bit more room... brunell or jc gets a little more time, moss cooley get a little more open. All because you have to respect that its reggie from the U. Reggie who is just a small fraction away from being harrison (statistically you wouldn't see a huge glare). Givens just doesn't strike me as that kind of WR, The idea of moss and wayne is a lethal combination IMO.

... can we just skip superbowl XL and fast forward to free agent signing, stop a lil bit for the draft, and fast forward to 1 day before the first kickoff?

I don't think many people have explored the possibility of signing a number of more role-player esq. recievers. A recieving core of Moss, Jurevicius, Givens, and Patten sounds mighty fine to me.

Also, note that Saunders never had anything special in KC - David Patten would definately start on the 2005 Chiefs squad. They only had one WR who had more than 36 receptions... The key to that offense is to spread the ball around, so no, we do not need Reggie Wayne, nor any other "stud" or "marquee" reciever - just a couple of solid recievers to go along with Moss.

SKINSTILLIDIE... i think you fail to realize that the chiefs had probably the best line, top 3 rb, pro bowl QB and this wanna be basketball player that goes by TG that happenend to be the best TE in the entire planet. Where they lacked talent they made up for it at other spots. Getting wayne lets us go from being probably pretty good to, potentially being thought of as NFC east champs and SB contenders from day one. I like the latter

Totally agree. But Skins' fans are still used to grabbing the "BIG NAME" every year, so Reggie Wayne seems like the way to go.

IMO I would take Jurivicous or Lloyd even BEFORE Wayne REGARDLESS of $$$ but thats just me. Im sure Gibbs/Saunders have their guy in mind.

p.s. Roy Williams is freaking awesome, he just hasnt had a QB yet. Not sold on either Mike Williams or especially Chuck Rodgers.

how about a good solid young WR who has no other teams bad habits and educate him and teach him how we want him to play, surely someone in college this year is a six foot plus receiver with good hands and speed, and the intelligence and guts to become a gibbsskin footballer, we have from april to september to get him going with the new system, we dont need a high profile receiver, gibbs and saunders and others will teach this new guy the way to play redskin football, I believe that this is the way to go

First, I wish everyone would quit saying the Lions have great receivers. The Lions have a lot of receivers who had great college careers. I'm not sure any of them have had even 1 great NFL season. As we should know well from Mr. Jacobs, a successful college career doesn't always make for a successful NFL career.

Second, I agree that we don't HAVE to have Reggie Wayne. I don't agree with your comparison to Moulds, but I do think we could get by with the WR we have. In fact, I hope we spend our draft pick looking elsewhere such as DE.

However, IF we sign Wayne, it undoubtedly would be a tremendous upgrade. But I'd be happy as well with a guy like Lloyd or Jurivicious (sp?) along with a DE or DB FA.

how about a good solid young WR who has no other teams bad habits and educate him and teach him how we want him to play, surely someone in college this year is a six foot plus receiver with good hands and speed, and the intelligence and guts to become a gibbsskin footballer, we have from april to september to get him going with the new system, we dont need a high profile receiver, gibbs and saunders and others will teach this new guy the way to play redskin football, I believe that this is the way to go

Taylor Jacobs, Detroit Lions x3, Mark Clayton, Braylon Edwards... takes toooooo long to develop. WR needs to be addressed through FA. Draft can add depth to everywhere else. If there are other role players out there in FA that we can add thats cool too. But out of the top 2-3 receivers in FA the skins have sign one. I just happen to like wayne cuz i like the sound of santana and reggie... if the price is right:cheers:

edited for tyop <~ kidding on that one

SKINSTILLIDIE... i think you fail to realize that the chiefs had probably the best line, top 3 rb, pro bowl QB and this wanna be basketball player that goes by TG that happenend to be the best TE in the entire planet. Where they lacked talent they made up for it at other spots. Getting wayne lets us go from being probably pretty good to, potentially being thought of as NFC east champs and SB contenders from day one. I like the latter

So you don't think a mammoth offensive line that includes probowlers Chris Samuels, Randy Thomas, and Jon Jansen is much good? Clinton Portis isn't a top running back? Mark Brunell didn't just put up pro-bowl esq numbers (and was essentially the third best QB in the NFC... screw Ron Mexico). Didn't Chris Cooley just catch 71 balls (as compared to Tony Gonzalez' 78)? Plus, we have the reciever that they never had.

The bottom line is that both offenses required a power running game (which we have), with the ability to stretch the ball deep (which we have). We just have to spread the ball around more and be more aggressive/creative/unpredictable. That is why Saunders came in. The pieces are pretty much in place - we do not need, no can we afford, two premier #1 recievers. Patten is definately an adequete reciever, as are Jurevicius, Givens, etc. If teams dare to double up Moss, then those three are certainly capable of making plays... And don't forget, Patten DID have 7 touchdowns in 2004.

While our offensive line may not be as good as the Chiefs', and while our quarterback may not be quite as good as the Chiefs', our one area on offenswe that is significantly better than the Chiefs' offense is at the wide reciever position.

I do think we need a couple more recievers, I just don't think we need (or can afford) two #1 targets.

The good thing about having Gibbs here is that I am confident that the right decision will be made. He almost makes these debate useless for fans, because all he have to say is, "Gibbs will do what is best". And that's the end of that chapter.

Good Post. I'm just going to sit back, and enjoy the ride. I'm not worried one bit.

Maybe we dont need a BIG TIME WR, but we definately need an upgrade.

And if an upgrade is good, a major upgrade is better, no?

Not when it means a downgrade to other areas we need to address. We may not be in "cap hell" but we arent in a position to make moves like we did 2 years ago.

Reggie Wayne will be the most expensive of the available FA WR's. I am just not sold on this guy. I think he has Peerless Price syndrome, but worse. He benefitted from having an outstanding running game, defenses keying on Marvin Harrison on the other side of the field, and oh yeah, Peyton Manning throwing the ball to him. I think he's good, but not as good as the $$$$ he is going to command in FA.

Listen everyone making an anaology about the Lions WR corps and our need for another compitent WR is a horrid one. For one, all 3 of the WR's in Det were allowed to let their egos run rampant. Second that is the worst coached secondary ive ever seen in the NFL. I saw alot of Lions games this year due to FFL and no one has ever taught those guys to run routes in the pros.

Our need comes for a receiver that can take the short to intermediate routes and get YAC's while the defense decides if tehy want to go 8 in the bos againt Portis or double Moss. We need a guy that has been either a #2 or a #1 WR and someone who, for godsakes, is under 30.

Archived