Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Gibbs turns over control of offense to Saunders

bubba9497

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9183444/rss = full article

Gibbs turns over control of offense to Saunders

ASHBURN, Va. -- Joe Gibbs is turning over the reins of the Washington Redskins offense, a significant role change for a Hall of Fame coach who found himself trying to handle too many jobs.

Al Saunders was formally introduced Monday and given the title of "associate head coach-offense." The former Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator will call the plays and essentially replace Gibbs as the offense's chief game-planner.

"He will oversee and direct the offense," Gibbs said. "It will free me up to do some other things."

Gibbs wooed Saunders last week, even as Saunders was still considered a candidate for head coaching openings in Oakland and Houston. Saunders said Gibbs told him: "I don't know if I can do those 20-hour days anymore."

Gibbs then offered a three-year contract worth about $6 million -- head-coaching money for a lot of teams.

"You don't often get a chance to work side-by-side with someone who's already in the Hall of Fame," Saunders said.

Saunders called the Raiders and Texans to withdraw his name, then told his wife that "this is our last move." His arrival gives the Redskins two heirs apparent when Gibbs decides to retire again, with defensive coach Gregg Williams also a prime candidate. Williams signed a three-year deal worth nearly $8 million last week.

click link for more

His arrival gives the Redskins two heirs apparent when Gibbs decides to retire again, with defensive coach Gregg Williams also a prime candidate. Williams signed a three-year deal worth nearly $8 million last week.

I got the impression from Coach Saunders, after listening to his press conference, that he is content to just coach offense. He really doesn't seem driven to be a head coach again, to quote him "just to be a head coach."

I expect, and hope... that when Coach Gibbs retires again, Greg Williams will be head coach, with Al Saunders as his offensive coordinator. The best of all possible worlds for a Redskin fan.

:cheers:

I'ld like to mention that I think G.Williams will not leave the Redskins even if he has to wait 3 more years to be HC. Why? Because his trusty assistants will not get paid more money anywhere else. He would have to assemble a new staff.

Gregg Williams is locked in. It's like when AOL offers you email service and you dont want to leave AOL because you need that email address. (bad analogy, I know)

G.Williams - Redskins HC in 3 years.

This is not a bad thing. Don't worry. This is the work of the greatest sports team builder and organizer of our generation. Look at his accomplishments during his previous stint here, at his winning NASCAR team, and now at what he's doing here again.

It's thoroughly enjoyable and absolutely amazing to sit back and watch Joe Gibbs put all the pieces into place.

Archived