Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.COM: Terps' McCray out for season for academic reasons

heyholetsgogrant

Terps' McCray out for season for academic reasons

By Andy Katz

Maryland senior Chris McCray, the team's leading scorer, is the latest player to lose his eligibility to a three-year-old rule that demands a 2.0 grade-point average in the first semester in order to play in the second.

In the first year of the rule, UConn freshman point guard Marcus Williams missed the second semester for the same rule. Last season, Texas sophomore forward P.J. Tucker suffered the same fate. And last week, Wisconsin freshman Marcus Landry was ruled ineligible because of the rule. Players are allowed to practice during their ineligible semester.

The problem for McCray is this: He's a senior so he's done.

When asked last week if this was going to occur, Maryland head coach Gary Williams told ESPN.com no comment. It's unclear if there was some hope that McCray could win an appeal. But that isn't the case as the school released a statement saying he was done for the season. McCray was averaging 15.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.2. steals a game for the Terps.

McCray's last game was Saturday in a win over Virginia Tech. He'll miss his first game against Georgia Tech on Wednesday.

"I'd first like to apologize to my family, teammates and coaches for not meeting NCAA standards, but I'll continue to pursue my criminal justice degree," said McCray in a school release. "I'll learn from this experience and look forward to becoming very productive in life and as a student here at Maryland."

Williams added in the same release:

"Chris' career was outstanding here at the University of Maryland. He has contributed a great deal to our success the last 3 years. I'm fully confident Chris will be successful in life."

McCray was considered the top defender for the Terps (13-4, 3-2 ACC). Mike Jones will likely replace McCray in the starting lineup.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2303291

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:doh: , Mike Jones better pick up the slack...its not that hard to get a 2.0 :mad: ...I hope Gary stops recruiting the boneheads Garrison, McCray, and John Gilchrist..

-Grant

Terps' McCray out for season for academic reasons

By Andy Katz

Maryland senior Chris McCray, the team's leading scorer, is the latest player to lose his eligibility to a three-year-old rule that demands a 2.0 grade-point average in the first semester in order to play in the second.

In the first year of the rule, UConn freshman point guard Marcus Williams missed the second semester for the same rule. Last season, Texas sophomore forward P.J. Tucker suffered the same fate. And last week, Wisconsin freshman Marcus Landry was ruled ineligible because of the rule. Players are allowed to practice during their ineligible semester.

The problem for McCray is this: He's a senior so he's done.

When asked last week if this was going to occur, Maryland head coach Gary Williams told ESPN.com no comment. It's unclear if there was some hope that McCray could win an appeal. But that isn't the case as the school released a statement saying he was done for the season. McCray was averaging 15.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.2. steals a game for the Terps.

McCray's last game was Saturday in a win over Virginia Tech. He'll miss his first game against Georgia Tech on Wednesday.

"I'd first like to apologize to my family, teammates and coaches for not meeting NCAA standards, but I'll continue to pursue my criminal justice degree," said McCray in a school release. "I'll learn from this experience and look forward to becoming very productive in life and as a student here at Maryland."

Williams added in the same release:

"Chris' career was outstanding here at the University of Maryland. He has contributed a great deal to our success the last 3 years. I'm fully confident Chris will be successful in life."

McCray was considered the top defender for the Terps (13-4, 3-2 ACC). Mike Jones will likely replace McCray in the starting lineup.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2303291

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

:doh: , Mike Jones better pick up the slack...its not that hard to get a 2.0 :mad: ...I hope Gary stops recruiting the boneheads Garrison, McCray, and John Gilchrist..

-Grant

Well this sucks. Let the Mike Jones era begin.

There is something inherently wrong with a system that allows a student go to his senior year and score 2.0.

Did he pass his junior year? lol

Furthermore since when should 2.0 be a baseline for a student to be kicked off the team.

Our collegiate system failed this person miserably. Whatever benefit he could have gotten by being so lucky as to have gone to UMD FOR FREE, he lost by a system that did not demand performance in school.

Now what does he have? An outside chance at being a European or Canadian ball player. But more likely, he will struggle the rest of his life.

Sad,sad,sad.

There is something inherently wrong with a system that allows a student go to his senior year and score 2.0.

Furthermore since when should 2.0 be a baseline for a student to be kicked off the team.

Our collegiate system failed this person miserably. Whatever benefit he could have gotten by being so lucky as to have gone to UMD FOR FREE, he lost by a system that did not demand performance in school.

Now what does he have? An outside chance at being a European or Canadian ball player. But more likely, he will struggle the rest of his life.

Sad,sad,sad.

I completely agree...but the sad thing is this has been happening a lot at MD athletics lately...Dan Mote the president of the school, or the AD needs to step up, figure out what is going on...we have football players causing brawls at bars, BBall players hitting girls, and now this...

-Grant

Sad,sad,sad.

The rule went into effect last year...you must score 2.0 in the first semester or you are ruled academically ineligible for the second semester. Several players have fallen victim to the new rule already. It's amazing that with all of the resources available to them that they can't get a 2.0.

I went to college a little while ago, and on a mandate from my parents 2.0 was NEVER an option.

It was only an option for me if I wanted to pay for my own tuition, beer, housing, beer, books, beer, food, and beer. And if I couldn't do either, the alternative was coming back to live with them. So yeah, 2.0 was never an option.

Ended up with a 3.55, apparantly I am easily bribed.

I'm gonna get ****ed at for saying this, but whatever....

you'd never hear of anything like this at duke, uva, or almost any other acc school.

Academically UVA, Wake, UNC, and Duke are not far off from Ivy League...If im not mistake they hold their players to higher standards...The ACC has had its fair share of problems with schools like Virgina Tech and Florida State...UMD needs more decipline and a high grade standard for athletes IMO i fthey want to compete with the top schools in Basketball.

-Grant

you'd never hear of anything like this at duke, uva, or almost any other acc school.

True. At Duke, athletes have demonstrated the ability to play basketball round the clock and somehow get their degrees in only three years -- a full year earlier than the highly intelligent regular students who have to work hard, hours every day, for four full years to get the same degree in the same major.

But, I'm sure that's completely on the level. :laugh:

Do you think that Gary Williams cares if he recruits the right kind of player or not? Look at the details of his new contract.

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121905aaa.html

Basketball coach Gary Williams has signed a new contract that could extend his tenure as the Terps' head coach until 201

Basketball Coach Gary Williams Signs New Contract

Deal could extend Williams' tenure until 2013

Dec. 19, 2005

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - - - University of Maryland men's basketball coach Gary Williams, who led the Terps to the 2002 National Championship and the 2004 ACC Championship, has signed a new contract which significantly enhances the guaranteed financial terms of his previous agreement, Maryland Director of Athletics Deborah A. Yow announced today.

In addition, the bonus portions of the new contract now include considerably enhanced amounts for academic achievement and competitive excellence. Academic bonuses may be earned when specific graduation rate percentages are achieved. The competitive bonuses are tied to ACC regular-season accomplishments.

True. At Duke, athletes have demonstrated the ability to play basketball round the clock and somehow get their degrees in only three years -- a full year earlier than the highly intelligent regular students who have to work hard, hours every day, for four full years to get the same degree in the same major.

But, I'm sure that's completely on the level. :laugh:

:laugh: Don't you know those Duke players are just super human in academic ability? :laugh:

Archived