Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Communication

bnacpa

Just some curious thoughts regarding Al Saunders and his approach vs. Gibbs approach ...

Gibbs likes everyone to have input and exposure and the group to come to a decision. From reading the links that other posters have put up, it seems that Al orchestrates each assistants' tasks on an island. Even in the press conference today he mentioned how each position coach is a head coach of their position and they will report to him.

Another thing that is interested and nobody asked it in the press conference today is what do the other coaches think about this decision? Is Buges going to be just as happy reporting to a guy he doesn't really know or hasn't directly worked with compared with his good friend of 40 years, Joe Gibbs? Same goes for the rest of the staff.

I think for this team to be very successful going forward they are going to need to establish good communication and get used to each other quickly. There are no guarantees here. As much as everyone wants to win and will work their asses off ... one thing I know about organizations is that if the personalities don't mesh and the communication isn't understood or clear, then it doesn't matter how talented the different parts are, the group will not gel.

Just some curious thoughts regarding Al Saunders and his approach vs. Gibbs approach ...

Gibbs likes everyone to have input and exposure and the group to come to a decision. From reading the links that other posters have put up, it seems that Al orchestrates each assistants' tasks on an island. Even in the press conference today he mentioned how each position coach is a head coach of their position and they will report to him.

Another thing that is interested and nobody asked it in the press conference today is what do the other coaches think about this decision? Is Buges going to be just as happy reporting to a guy he doesn't really know or hasn't directly worked with compared with his good friend of 40 years, Joe Gibbs? Same goes for the rest of the staff.

I think for this team to be very successful going forward they are going to need to establish good communication and get used to each other quickly. There are no guarantees here. As much as everyone wants to win and will work their asses off ... one thing I know about organizations is that if the personalities don't mesh and the communication isn't understood or clear, then it doesn't matter how talented the different parts are, the group will not gel.

did they ask saunders what he thought about the qb situation...my avatar is on the line here...

Gibbs did say everybody agreed on this move. Saunders was carefull with his words as well. Everybody has the same goal and with Gibbs being the first to do it. I think everybody will be checking their Egos at the door.

I can certainly understand your concern there, Brian.... but ONLY if it was any other coach hiring this guy except Joe Gibbs. If there is one thing that Joe has proven to be a genius at, its coordinating and communicating with people.

I think we will see nothing but added wrinkles to the offense, and perhaps some improved playcalling.

I can certainly understand your concern there, Brian.... but ONLY if it was any other coach hiring this guy except Joe Gibbs. If there is one thing that Joe has proven to be a genius at, its coordinating and communicating with people.

I think we will see nothing but added wrinkles to the offense, and perhaps some improved playcalling.

I believe you are correct, but it is still something that has me wondering how well will this come together. I get the impression that even though they were on the same staff, they really didn't know each other very well. Gibbs eluded to the staff, but never mentioned talking to Al over the years or even considering him until he spoke with Vermeil and Dick put his name into the swing of things. With that said ... I think they will make it work, I just hope there aren't too many issues to iron out at first.

I believe that this was the right move because Gibbs is a very good evaluator of talent and if he has reduced his role (1st last year, and more now) on the Offensive side of the ball, that is saying that he believes Saunders is better at play calling and play designing right now than he is. That is a massive ego check. The whole reason Spurrier entered the NFL is the same reason most do ... to see if their system/scheme/play calling can out wit the opponent. I am very happy to see Saunders hired and his stats speak for themselves, but a part of me has lost the nostalgia of Gibbs calling the plays and running his offense.

did they ask saunders what he thought about the qb situation...my avatar is on the line here...

No one asked Coach Saunders specifically, but he did say that he'd be able to work with Brunell, who was coming off one of his career best years, and was excited about working with the young, talented guy from Auburn we got in the first round.

I'm sure he didn't mean Rogers.

That says it all.

I think we'll see our offense on par with our devastating defense!

Can you feel 31 other teams trembling right now??

Hail!:point2sky

lordoftherings.JPG

where is the press conference on redskins.com its not giving the option for the archived video?

The press conference will be up on Redskins.com once they have transferred the footage that they broadcast on the live feed to a server. They should have it some time early this evening / late this afternoon.

As far as I can figure, the guys who are really put out by this move are Breaux and Burns. Burns had his qb coach position given to Musgrave last year and now he's losing the play calling. Similarly, Breaux doesn't coach a position so it not clear what the two of them will be doing. I would imagine that Buges - OLine, Byner - RB's, Hixon - WR's, and Simmons - TE's, Musgrave - QB's will have very similar roles to the ones they had before. And don't forget that Burns and Breaux are getting up there in years. At this point I would expect that they'd be happy contributing in any way they can, drawing a huge fat paycheck, and helping win more Super Bowls. I would guess that for Gibbs, Buges, Breaux, Simmons, and Burns DC is the last stop. I'm sure Byner and Musgrave see this as a tremendous opportunity to learn even more, pad their resumes, and some day become coordinators and maybe HC's.

I have never understood why people think Gibbs will say what went on behind closed doors. Does anyone actually think Buges would have said........."I am really pissed about this move" even if he was asked?

As stated, Gibbs and company have been so close for such a long time, they probaly all think alike.

Thus, this is good for the team.

Blondie

I have never understood why people think Gibbs will say what went on behind closed doors. Does anyone actually think Buges would have said........."I am really pissed about this move" even if he was asked?

As stated, Gibbs and company have been so close for such a long time, they probaly all think alike.

Thus, this is good for the team.

Blondie

I hope you realize that I never expected him to offer up what goes on behind closed doors or directly answer such a question if asked. Additionally, you comment about them being around for such a long time is very much to my point ... here is a new guy coming in who doesn't understand all the inside jokes, looks, mannerisms, or voice inflections that the rest of the guys know so well that they just take for granted. I figure with someone new who doesn't automatically get that stuff there will be a learning curve of communication.

With that said, I am not looking or expecting trouble, I am simply pondering some potential issues that may arise and hoping for the best.

As a military guy an identified chain of command is very important. That does not always have to apply in civilian organizations for that organization to be successfull but is does clear up any misunderstandings. That would be great if that was the case here because it seems like 11 coaches devoted to one part of the team (offense) is somewhat unusual. However, like Blade stated, Joe Gibbs is an excellent communicator and I think he will communicate his vision for how the offense will operate and go from there.

I'm excited to see how it all works out and look forward to March when free agency really starts to pick up.

Archived