Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will this season be like the 2000?

H-O-G

With the media already begining to think we will do very well because of all our "ALL STAR" coaching staff, do you think that we will have a 2000 repeat where we don't even do that well?... I sure hope that Williams and Saunders are successful here in D.C, let me know what you guys think

Dan Snyder -> :deal:

Greg Williams & Al Saunders :chestram:

I think the only way we do well is if the Media thinks we will do badly. If the Media think we will do well, then our mystic voodoo reason for winning is all shot to hell.

OR

I don't think what the media thinks has anything to do with how successful we are.

This is all the media is going to talk about, comparing the 2000 Skins to the 2006 Skins. If we win the SB, the media says Snyder finally found a way to buy it. If we lose in the playoffs or the SB, the media says Snyder still needs to learn a lesson, that you can't buy a SB. Stay tuned, we'll be getting the 2000/2006 season comparisons by the truckload.

It is so interesting that you posted this thread right when I was having a case a deja vu. :( I hope that it isn't so. More often then not hype is not good for our team. Let's just hope that it is different under Gibbs and he will keep the players and the coaches from getting big headed and taking things for granted just because of media hype. :doh:

I think it has that potential...

However, without seeing our draft or FA moves, it would be a stretch to hype the 2006 Redskins the way the 1999 Redskins were hyped. I mean, all we've done is add an assistant coach...

There are some parrallels though. 1999 and 2005 were both nice stories where our team came out from nowhere to win a playoff game and get to the divisional playoffs.

Let's hope that with Gibbs manning this ship, we do what we should and improve on our 10-6 record and get ourselves into good position to make a playoff run in 2006!

It is so interesting that you posted this thread right when I was having a case a deja vu. :( I hope that it isn't so. More often then not hype is not good for our team. Let's just hope that it is different under Gibbs and he will keep the players and the coaches from getting big headed and taking things for granted just because of media hype. :doh:

I agree entirely with you. It's all about media hype and how the team handles it. The team had grit this year at 5-6 and written off by the media. I hope Gibbs has them thinking that they are always underdogs.

I think the two are not even close. There is one overriding factory here. Joe Gibbs. Norv Turner had no idea how to handle the talent he had. He also had pure talent and nothing more. This team has two pro bowlers, that is it. There are no Nike execs knocking on the doors of our players. These are lunchpale guys who are going to give there all and play within a great system. These are a bunch of Eastern Motors endorsers. This is a team and city that are quickly gelling into something special. The 2000 season was a one shot deal. This is a team that has taken 2 full seasons to build and the building will continue in 06. Good things, Good things.

I have to say that I prefer when expectations are low, and right now they seem very high. If I think about it, this fear of disappointment is a bit cowardly, so I won't think about it too much. But yeah, this optimism reminds me of 2000 whether the reasons are valid or not.

Edit...not to suggest that I feel 2006 will be a repeat of 2000.

no way, this is why

1. Gibbs

2. Building from ground up

3. Gregg Williams has been here for 2 years, he is not a new hire

4. Saunders is proven, and on top of his game, Deion Sanders, Jeff George and Bruce Smith were on the downside of there careers

5. Gibbs

6. Danny might be dumb, but he is not stupid.

:point2sky

I don't see how this can be a repeat of 2000. No Norv, no Spurrier fiasco, keeping many players and all coaches. That shows consistency that was not present back then. The team knows it's as good as any out there I see no reason why things will be different. If anything the Skins will probably be better than this year because there are a number of teams in the NFL that have lost various personnel. At the beginning of this season they had no respect any hardly got any all year. The media and haters will view them the same. The Skins might not be the best team out there next year but they will be tough to beat!

:helmet:

With the media already begining to think we will do very well because of all our "ALL STAR" coaching staff, do you think that we will have a 2000 repeat where we don't even do that well?... I sure hope that Williams and Saunders are successful here in D.C, let me know what you guys think

Dan Snyder -> :deal:

Greg Williams & Al Saunders :chestram:

No it won't.

Williams is already successful here.

Saunders is th icing on the cake.

Can you smell Miami??

Hail!:point2sky

p1_taylor.jpg

Fellas, fellas, fellas. There is absolutely NO WAY you can compare the 2000 season to the 2006 season to come. It can't be done. Nor can you expect the same result. The reason? Joe. Jackson. Gibbs. The difference here is in 1999 we were being coached by the legendary Norv Turner. This man is not a good head coach. He just isn't. Joe Gibbs will be the difference maker in these two seasons, and he will lead us to prominence and dominance. Mark my words.

:logo:

Archived