Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tandlers's Blog: Gibbs Fires Himself

Mark

What I think is happening is the emergence of a whole new coaching structure that we are likely to see happen more around the league in the future. Head coach as overseer. Gibbs will likely have input into gameplans and focus on team preparation but will allow coaches to handle more day-to-day operations. Gibbs' health was probably the driving factor behind this, but it could become a head coaching model for the NFL.

I've always wondered how that worked. When you have an OC and a DC that are both calling plays what exactly does the HC do on the sidelines?

Motivation, preparation, screening playcalls. Saunders maybe taking over the play calling(has that officially been announced?) but you can bet the plays will go through Gibbs.

What I think is happening is the emergence of a whole new coaching structure that we are likely to see happen more around the league in the future. Head coach as overseer. Gibbs will likely have input into gameplans and focus on team preparation but will allow coaches to handle more day-to-day operations. Gibbs' health was probably the driving factor behind this, but it could become a head coaching model for the NFL.

You may have something here, but the only thing that will make this become a kind of blueprint for other coaches to follow would be for the 'Skins to win another Super Bowl or two under Gibbs CEO-coach tenure....

Motivation, preparation, screening playcalls. Saunders maybe taking over the play calling(has that officially been announced?) but you can bet the plays will go through Gibbs.

I wouldn't be so sure. What would be the point? Saunders has evolved his brand of the Coryell offense over the last 10 years while Gibbs has been away. Gibbs could certainly take his offense to another level, but I'm guessing he thinks it will take more time then he wants to spend. In the business world, you have two choices when your competitors are out pacing you. You take the slow approach of overcoming them a little at a time, or you leap frog them in some way. Gibbs just leap frogged the team several years forward if Saunders is as good as everyone thinks he is.

This wouldn't be the first time a coach had both an offensive and defensive coordinator. Jimmy Johnson, who many consider a HOF-calibre coach, had both in Dallas.

But somehow when we do it, two things immediately begin circulating amongs the media-types:

1) We have too many assistants and our coach won't actually do anything.

2) Dan Snyder's evil.

Go figure.

This wouldn't be the first time a coach had both an offensive and defensive coordinator. Jimmy Johnson, who many consider a HOF-calibre coach, had both in Dallas.

But somehow when we do it, two things immediately begin circulating amongs the media-types:

1) We have too many assistants and our coach won't actually do anything.

2) Dan Snyder's evil.

Go figure.

good point. in fact most coaches have two coordinaters running the plays anyway.

Very Good Read.

My Questions, and they might be in a different thread, are:

1. What is Jack Burns' role now?

2. What is Joe Bugel's role?

3. What is Don Breaux's Role?

All of the above helped Coach Gibbs call plays last year and this year. With Saunders here, there doesn't seem to be a role for these guys. When Coach Gibbs is done, I would think these three guys will go with him.

My final question deals with our two outstanding Coordinators:

4. Who will become our next Head Coach?

Our master of leadership, Coach Gibbs, is bringing these two together and will make them like brothers. I would think Coach Williams would be the head Coach with Coach Saunders calling the plays. Our Future looks so bright! :cheers: :point2sky

This structure is different. The "coordinator" title is actually below Williams and Saunders. The Redskins actually have a defensive head coach and an offensive head coach. I guess Gibbs could choose his own title like "Supreme Team Commander" or the like.

This structure is different. The "coordinator" title is actually below Williams and Saunders. The Redskins actually have a defensive head coach and an offensive head coach. I guess Gibbs could choose his own title like "Supreme Team Commander" or the like.

They've got gradiose titles so other teams can't hire them away from us, but they're just coordinators.

Joe Gibbs, Supreme Team Commander ... I like the way that rolls out. :)

in other words, this team won't look much different from the Belichick Patriots or the Johnson Cowboys where talented assistants ran the offense and defense and the head coach oversaw the performance of the club as a whole :)

I like these two analogies...they produced five Super Bowl trophies for their teams!

Archived