Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated 1-30 Redskins signed Atlanta DE .....

inmate running the asylum

The Redskins have just signed 5th year Atlanta DE Karon Riley. He was drafted in the 4th round by the Bears in 2001. He hasn't done much to date --was on IR one year with an injury.

According to this article he is a good run-stopper, but at 6-2 268 lbs., he would seem to be undersized. He will be 28 years old in 2006.

But I guess he was good enough to make the Atlanta roster the past 3 years, so who knows?

I can't do to much research now because the NFL games are on. :doh:

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/0804/20notebook.html

Riley ready for his audition

By KEN SUGIURA

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

08/20/04

Greenville, S.C. -- Karon Riley's opportunity has come gift-wrapped.

Riley, a three-year defensive end for the Falcons, has never started an NFL game. With starting right end Brady Smith out with a bruised knee, Riley has an extended audition.

"I've been waiting for this chance since I got here," said Riley, who joined the Falcons after being cut by the Chicago Bears in 2002.

Last week against Baltimore, playing against All-Pro left tackle Jonathan Ogden, Riley had three tackles and one sack. Coach Jim Mora says he likes the way Riley plays the run and doesn't mind that, at 255 pounds, Riley is on the light side; Smith weighs 274 pounds. Mora coached 258-pound end Andre Carter as defensive coordinator for San Francisco.

However, Mora said, "[Riley] hasn't proved [that he can be a starter] to me. I haven't seen enough yet."

Riley will face another estimable left tackle in the Falcons' preseason home opener tonight against Minnesota, Bryant McKinnie. The seventh overall pick in the 2002 draft, McKinnie is 6-foot-8, 335 pounds.

"It doesn't really bother me, the size factor," Riley said. "My saying is, 'You can't hit what you can't touch.' "

Karon Riley DE-LB

6-2 1/2 266 lbs., 4.77 speed

PFW scouting report says Riley had 16 sacks in 1999 at Minnesota and 22 TFL. Then he had 13 sacks in 2000 and 21 TFL. Made all-Big Ten both years. Impressive stats.

Has good speed and athletic ability. He was projected to also be a rush-linebacker. If he lost 10 lbs., he would be big linebacker size.

He may be a classic "tweener" caught between two positions. Too small for DE and not quite fast or quick enough with no LB experience, to find a home at either position.

But who am I to question Greg Williams? Maybe he's a good special teams player? :D

Hmm. Maybe there is a Bears Greg Blache connection here and he likes Riley?

Prospect Profiles - scouting report

Karon Riley, Minnesota

Defensive End, 6-3, 255

Speed: 4.7

Combine Numbers

Height Weight Bench 40 (Hand) 40 (Electronic) Vertical Jump Long Jump

6-2 3/8 264 DNP 4.75 4.72 DNP DNP DNP

Quick senior pass rusher finished an excellent short stay in the Big 10, after starting his career with SMU. Riley led the Big 10 in sacks as a junior and senior, earning first team all conference honors in the process. He displays outstanding pass rushing skills at times which allowed him to dominate in certain games over his career. He has a smallish frame with little growth potential and may be limited to a situational pass rushing role during his career.

At the Senior Bowl, Riley checked in at just over 6-feet-2-inches and 257 pounds, small by any standards for a 4-3 defensive end. His game is speed off the edge where he gains a fast advantage against most tackles with his first step. He has the burst upfield to get around the corner and completes the play by flattening out well to sack the passer.

As a senior, he made 47 tackles with 20 TFLs and 13 sacks for 105 yards in losses, earning him Big Ten Co-Defensive Lineman of the Year, voted by coaches. He has a strong narrow wiry frame with deceptive strength for a player of his dimensions. He has given an inconsistent effort over his career, disappearing for periods of games. His best sack games have been against marginal offensive tackles, as he was shut out by Purdue's Matt Light the past two seasons and Wisconsin's Chris McIntosh during the '99 season.

During his junior season, he made 59 tackles with 22 TFLs and a league leading 16 sacks. Seven of those sacks came in the first three games against weak non-conference teams, Ohio, UL-Monroe and Illinois St. Over his final two seasons, he registered 29 sacks with 7 of them coming in two games against Big 10 weakling Iowa. Despite his speed, he is slow on the snap at times which gives blockers opportunities to get their hands on him and stop his initial charge. He lacks the consistent explosiveness that every top outside pass rusher needs to excel in the NFL.

For a smallish defender, he holds up reasonably well in run support when he plays with leverage. He can be engulfed at the point of attack by bigger athletes and will most likely be limited to a situational pass rushing role until he proves otherwise. He does use his hands well to get off blockers, but can be driven off the play at the point of attack. He is better in pursuit where his speed allows him to chase down ball carriers from the backside.

At the combine, he ran only and did a 4.75 time. He is an overrated defender whose marginal size will be a liability at the next level and whose inconsistent motor is also a concern. A Marginal top 100 pick. Prospect with the talent to become a factor as an edge rusher.

Draft Projection: 4th-5th Round

Interceptions

Year G No. Yards Avg. Long TD Passes Defensed

1999 12 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

2000 11 1 12 12.0 12 0 4

Totals 23 1 12 12.0 12 0 5

Tackles

Year G Tackles Solo Assisted For Loss Sacks

1999 12 59 45 14 22 16

2000 11 49 38 11 20 13

Totals 23 108 83 25 42 29

Hey the Skins gave Karon Riley $545,000 to sign. Thats not peanuts. Thats as much as Chris Cooley will be making in 2006.

Maybe Dale Lindsey sees something here that no one else has seen -- like another Kyle Vanden Bosch maybe?

I noticed that he is listed as a linebacker, not a DE, which he played in college. At 266 lbs., he could be a hybrid strongside rush LB-DE, behind Marcus Washington. The guy had double-digit sacks in both his junior and senior years.

Player Search Results

Name

Position

Team

Compensation

Riley, Karon LB Washington Redskins $545,000.00

Archived