Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

J. Campbell better be all we hope

TheGreek1973

the Steelers run a different offense. besides, did the Steelers gamble with Roethlisberger at the #11 spot two years ago? :)

when you draft a qb in round 1 you are almost always taking a gamble as that is the hardest position to transition from college to the pros.

But if you want to be a top team you have to take that gamble and make it pay off.

Dont' sweat it. IMHO we had a target list of Mark Clayton, Matt Jones, Jason Campbell, and Heath Miller at that spot (not in that order). And while yes, Heath Miller would have been nice to have, you can't compare the utility of a TE and a QB. Its not even remotely close. On top of that, the 2006 draft is DEEEEP at TE. We'll snag a good one this year. BTW, while I liked and still like Heath Miller, to say he's going to be the best receiving TE in the NFL is rather presumptious given the fact that the depth of talent at the position is probably better than it has ever been. Gonzalez, Gates, Shockey, Cooley, Witten, Heap, Crumpler, etc, etc, not to mention this year's crop.

because watching what Heith Miller is doing for the Steelers is breaking my heart we didn't get him with the 25th pick. The guy is going to be IMO the best receiving TE in the NFL. Miller, Cooley, Moss, and Portis we wouldn't need a 2nd WR to step it up.

Gimme a break dude. Tell me one time in history a team rode a TE to the Super Bowl? Tony Gonzalez? Antonio Gates? Miller is neither and where are those teams right now.

A good QB is a helluva lot more important than a great TE. With Saunders in there, and with the current personel we have (adding on a effective, not amazing, but effective number 2 might be needed), all we need is a good QB. Trust Gibbs and his decision in Campbell.

well that is what I am saying guys. I hope J. Campbell is all we hope he is. Because I remember another #1 pick late and we are about to let him go for next to nothing. ;)

Dont' sweat it. IMHO we had a target list of Mark Clayton, Matt Jones, Jason Campbell, and Heath Miller at that spot (not in that order). And while yes, Heath Miller would have been nice to have, you can't compare the utility of a TE and a QB. Its not even remotely close. On top of that, the 2006 draft is DEEEEP at TE. We'll snag a good one this year. BTW, while I liked and still like Heath Miller, to say he's going to be the best receiving TE in the NFL is rather presumptious given the fact that the depth of talent at the position is probably better than it has ever been. Gonzalez, Gates, Shockey, Cooley, Witten, Heap, Crumpler, etc, etc, not to mention this year's crop.

Mark Clayton, Matt Jones, (which I wanted at 25) were gone. My next pick would have been Miller. In fact to say the Steelers run a different offense, that is correct and in fact they don't use the TE that much. All I am saying with Miller and Cooley in there you almost have to say the blitzing teams would be in a huge jam.

Mark Clayton, Matt Jones, (which I wanted at 25) were gone. My next pick would have been Miller. In fact to say the Steelers run a different offense, that is correct and in fact they don't use the TE that much. All I am saying with Miller and Cooley in there you almost have to say the blitzing teams would be in a huge jam.

Thanks genius. We are all aware of when Clayton and Jones were chosen. Those were the obvious targets, along with Campbell and Miller. Clearly the Redskins valued Campbell more highly than Miller.

As to the second comment, TEs are always useful, and apparently you didnt actually read my post, or the many many threads on this board about the incredible depth to this year's TE class.

Go on over to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ and check the career numbers and achievements on these guys.

Theismann, Joe

Schroeder, Jay

Williams, Doug

Rypien, Mark

Humphries, Stan

You'll feel better about Gibbs & his QBs.

Again, Gibbs is a full fledged zen master at getting the absolute MOST out of his players.

~Bang

Of these, only Rypien, Humphries, and Schroeder were drafted by the 'Skins (None of them in the 1st round). And of those, only Rypien was a successful Redskins QB. Actually kinda safe to say Bobby Ross got the most out of Humphries. (Likewise, Art Shell with Schroeder)

I hated everything about the JC pick and NO ONE hopes more than I that I'm totally wrong about it. If he turns out to be the man, I'd be willing to eat an entire buffet of crow. Wouldn't bother me - we'd have a quality QB.

I LOVE that site, BTW, it's on my favorites list.

I hope he is good I want us to have a franchise QB.

I think he will be our franchise QB.

I think Gibbs did well picking him for the future.

I also think it's good he sat an entire season to learn the system.

He will be ready to start next season, I feel it in my bones.

Hail!:point2sky

dougwilliams.JPG

My only worry about Campbell is that he seemed a good fit for the type of offense we ran last yr but is he a good fit for a more wide open offense like Saunders'?

Both are equally complex as far as personell groupings, motions, shifts, and formations but Saunders requires more of a pure passing QB were Gibbs' offense reqiures a QB w/a little mobility...

This is what I'm going to watch all off-season what comes out about the development of JCam...

My only worry about Campbell is that he seemed a good fit for the type of offense we ran last yr but is he a good fit for a more wide open offense like Saunders'?

Both are equally complex as far as personell groupings, motions, shifts, and formations but Saunders requires more of a pure passing QB were Gibbs' offense reqiures a QB w/a little mobility...

This is what I'm going to watch all off-season what comes out about the development of JCam...

In order for Campbell to be effective in the Al Saunders offense, he needs to be accurate. From what we have seen in limited play Campbell has been in, he seems accurate, and I look foward to seeing more stuff. Besides, if he is mobile, it shouldn't have a negative affect in the Saunders offense.

Archived