Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We sign Free agent Canadian Running Back

drewski

Thanks for proving my point. Do you see how long and thin his legs are? Do you see how his body is proportionate? Look at his mid-section... he's thin. Even with pads on.

See how he compares with those Queen's University scrubs?

A guy like that is not going to make it in the NFL carrying the ball regularly. Perhaps an H-Back or a 3rd down back.... but he's not a prototypical RB body-type. He's going to get punished by NFL linebackers :)

Inmate

At the NFL level, Lumsden fell victim to the Seahawks' deep pool of running backs and nagging hip and knee injuries early on in the team's training camp.

I'm not raining on any parades, but as I mentioned earlier this is partly representative of how he was mainly regarded here last year. I am always more interested in the most recent history of a prospect than two years or more prior.

But, may people have certainly panned out whose best years seemed behind the. As far as here in Seattle goes, Lumsden was sort of regarded as a "blah" event after initial press/fan interest for potential. The position was one of prominence partly because Alexander was unhappy with the 'hawks, so the RB corps was very much in the view. Myabe it should also be said that their "deep pool of running backs" is abit of an exageeration of how the corps seen here at the time, and it sure wasn't as quality-deep our own group. Agina, this isn't anti-lumsden, just filling out the picture.

By the way, you are awesome with this stuff Inmate. :notworthy

And as a former long-time Alaskan, it's fun hearing the CFL connections from Die Hard and others. Both NFL & CFL broadcasts were big up there, hell anything going on was welcome :laugh: .

[/u]

I'm not raining on any parades, but as I mentioned earlier this is partly representative of how he was mainly regarded here last year. I am always more interested in the most recent history of a prospect than two years or more prior.

But, may people have certainly panned out whose best years seemed behind the. As far as here in Seattle goes, Lumsden was sort of regarded as a "blah" event after initial press/fan interest for potential. The position was one of prominence partly because Alexander was unhappy with the 'hawks, so the RB corps was very much in the view. Myabe it should also be said that their "deep pool of running backs" is abit of an exageeration of how the corps seen here at the time, and it sure wasn't as quality-deep our own group. Agina, this isn't anti-lumsden, just filling out the picture.

By the way, you are awesome with this stuff Inmate. :notworthy

And as a former long-time Alaskan, it's fun hearing the CFL connections from Die Hard and others. Both NFL & CFL broadcasts were big up there, hell anything going on was welcome :laugh: .

I expressed this earlier but I don't see this guy as a RB. I see H-Back all over him. We needed some depth at the HB position.

Jesse is a neat combination of speed, moves and power. He has terrific hands and with his size is a devastating blocker. I have, obviously, followed his career quite closely having been his High School coach and he is a young man of character... Still, his speed, power and ability gives him a bit of a shot..
I expressed this earlier but I don't see this guy as a RB. I see H-Back all over him. We needed some depth at the HB position.

The first thing I thought of when I learned a bit about the kid is that he could be in line to serve as a backup H-back or fullback - a position that Al Saunders required in his system in KC. Sellers is gettin old, and currently, we have no one that could fill his position... What if he gets injured??

I also noticed that we signed the kid to a TWO year contract. That's gotta say something, no?

That's a neat story, and best of luck to Lumsden, but I hope he's a special teams whiz or it could be tough. I suspect we will deal Betts and keep Rock and Nemo.

So you get rid of your proven basically NFL starter quality back-up RB for an unknown Canadian baller, a guy who's barely played, and a ST'er.

BRILLIANT!

Some of you guys are missing the point. Yeah this guy is a sleeper, but whats the hurt. If he makes the team he is probably being paid only $235,000 (rookie salary). We didn't have a lot of injuries at RB last year, but one never knows where the injury bug is going to hit from year to year. I think it was George Allen who said "you can never have enough good running backs." I remember the great RB Larry Brown having to play almost on one leg due to injuries, his last couple of years in the league.

More then likely he will wind up on the practice squad as depth, in which case he will only make about $80,000. Give him 2 years on the practice squad and in the weight room and he could be a good RB, H-back or who knows? From the records he set, the kid obviously knows how to run and pick his holes. You really can't teach that. Some backs have it and some don't. He averaged over 8 yards per carry in the Shrine game and over 5 yards per carry in the CFL.

It can't hurt to bring in the best athletes available. The more the better. I like him. I think his father instilled toughness and character in him, which are all Gibbs qualities he looks for. Plus we have a testimonial here from a Canadian coach who likes him. :D

Remember Priest Holmes was a free agent that sat on the Ravens bench for a couple of years -- then got cut -- and then the Chiefs discovered they had a diamond in the rough. :D

You guys are all making an assumption that may not be so...

Remember, Hall of Fame WR Charlie Taylor came to the Redskins as a RB. It took a little over a season for them to convert him to a "split end". But it is possible they have that in mind for this guy, with his speed and size.

Bobby Mitchell was a converted RB as well and Art Monk was a RB at Syracuse. It would be a much easier conversion than to H-Back where he would have to put on about 30 pounds. Plus needless to say we are severely vertically challenged at WR right now.

He only appeared in one game in the preseason last year for Seattle before he was cut (no stats so he was probably on ST coverage unit) so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high but the pickup is intriguing.

The reason he was released by Seatle is early in the preseason he injured his hip and was not able to really showcase himself. So he missed the early preseason games that tend to be used to look at the young guys and FA's. By the time he was ready to go, it was too late in the preseason as they were giving the starters etc the playing time.

The fact that we gave him a 2 year contract, was probably down to the extra incentive that set us apart from the other interested teams. They may have only been willing to offer a 1 year rookie minimum with no guarantees. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him. I know Saunders' O requires a FB and looking at our roster, we have Sellers, Cartwright and Nemo who can all play the FB position. Don't forget that Rock was a FB when drafted and made the switch to RB, as Gibbs' system doesn't use one. Sellers has some experience at FB and is a capable lead blocker.

I think this guy has been signed for a shot at possibly WR, but more likely TE and H-Back. Don't forget if you look around the league at TE, we have Antonio Gates of the Chargers. He converted from basketball! So it's not surprising to see that we have picked up an ex-CFL player to give him a shot at one of these three positions.

If anything he probably would make a great gunner on the punt team and be a great guy on kickoff team. If he cracks the RB rotation, that would prove his abilities. I'm sure Gibbs saw his size and speed and instantly thought special teams ace or even kick returner. We know how big he is on special teams. Also, isnt it hard to believe that Clinton Portis is only one year older than him?

Congrats to the Readskins organization for finding this diamond in the rough. Six other teams were about to sign him and only a great coach like Joe Gibbs and a class organization like the Redskins would see the talent and in less then 15 minutes get him signed. Jesse Lumsden is a fantastic player in any league. Had he not got injured in Seattle he would be on his way to the Super Bowl right now. His father Neil was considered one of the greatest FB in CFL history (Neil was Canada's version of John Riggins and they played around the same time).Jesse combineds speed and strength with great hands and feet along with a great understanding of the game. He only played a hand full of games for Hamilton in the CFL but he was the talk of the league. During the Shrine Game 2005 they actually gave the other team the ball back right after they scored (?????) or Jesse would have ran for over 100 yards at the pace he was going. He was by far the best player in the game. His biggest assest is he is just a really nice kid!!!!! Redskins fans get ready because you will love having Jesse for many reasons and you just gained 32 million new fans North of the Boarder!

Congrats to the Readskins organization for finding this diamond in the rough. Six other teams were about to sign him and only a great coach like Joe Gibbs and a class organization like the Redskins would see the talent and in less then 15 minutes get him signed. Jesse Lumsden is a fantastic player in any league. Had he not got injured in Seattle he would be on his way to the Super Bowl right now. His father Neil was considered one of the greatest FB in CFL history (Neil was Canada's version of John Riggins and they played around the same time).Jesse combineds speed and strength with great hands and feet along with a great understanding of the game. He only played a hand full of games for Hamilton in the CFL but he was the talk of the league. During the Shrine Game 2005 they actually gave the other team the ball back right after they scored (?????) or Jesse would have ran for over 100 yards at the pace he was going. He was by far the best player in the game. His biggest assest is he is just a really nice kid!!!!! Redskins fans get ready because you will love having Jesse for many reasons and you just gained 32 million new fans North of the Boarder!

:cheers: He has the tools. I'll be pulling for him. Maybe he can become Portis's protege and dress up as mini-me on Thursdays. I can see Portis doing something like that. I look forward to him and Jason Campbell getting there looks in the preseason.

The Redskins also signed a Hamilton Tiger-Cat offensive lineman recently-----Jonta Woodard-----

Regarding Lumsden, we saw him play up here last year in Hamilton. He lit it up almost everytime he touched the ball. Jesse has incredible moves while heading North-South and an impressive sense of what's coming at him and how to avoid a tackle. He makes guys miss all the time.

4.4 speed if I'm not mistaken------or thereabouts

You'll see in camp what your coaches probably have on film. You will be very impressed.

Good Luck to the "Hamilton Hottie" -----that is a term the local newspaper called him and he has been taking a ribbing from his team mates ever since. All in fun though, all in fun.

Oskie Wee Wee Jesse !

----oskie wee wee is part of the Tiger-Cat cheer at the stadium-----

Archived