Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concerns

The Green Monk

We pay dearly with top draft picks for Jason Campbell, and he can't play over Mark Brunell.??? That makes no sense. If Campbell wasn't good enough to play in 2006, then we paid too much for him; but if Campbell really has talent, how could he not beat out the slug who dragged the offense down all season....

Mark Brunell. 40 yards throwing in a playoff game, almost as bad in 2nd playoff game until garbage time, accuracy of Michael Vick 10-15 times a game, constantly throwing the ball out of bounds, giving up on plays when no defender is near him. I love the article where Brunell says the "offense needs to improve" apparently oblivious that he is the primary reason the "offense needs to improve", is that a set play where James Thrash runs out of bounds and Brunell throws the ball even farther out of bounds ( they were running that play 3-4 times a game towards the end of the regular season ).

Can we get a kicker who can land kickoffs between the goal line and the 5, as opposed to John Hall's short, line drive kickoffs being handled between the 15-20, so that a normal return has the oppositions offense starting at their 35 or 40. How many games does Gibbs have to see Hall put extra pressure on the defense before he addresses it.

Get some offensive linemen for christs sake. How many years has Clinton Portis' career been shortened because we play people like Ray Brown. Nice player 15 years ago....joke today. How about we keep some draft choices some year to draft some depth, and stop playing 45 year olds on the offensive line.

I'm concerned about Gibbs. Greg Williams performs miracles while Gibbs continues to throw passes behind the line of scrimmage, and play people like Mark Brunell, James Thrash, and Ray Brown. It's like watching half a team.....so much so that when Rogers missed that interception-touchdown against Seattle, it was obviously over, our scoring unit had missed its chance......because we have no offense against real teams. Offense generated 10 points in 2 playoff games, defense 17 ( when the defense gives you the ball on their 5, that's a defensive score, when the defense gives you the ball in field goal range, and you only get a field goal, that's a defensive score )

Could we stop giving away our better players. Do we really need to All Pro up the Giants and Eagles linebacker corps. We could have used Smoot this year as well. Stop giving away talent, cut bad players, KEEP THE GOOD ONES......KEEP ARRINGTON ( AND PLAY HIM )

I hope Campbell plays in 2007, that we keep Arrington, get some lineman, get a receiver, and that Brunell goes to his natural position...clip board holder

:dallasuck :dallasuck:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

Get some offensive linemen for christs sake. How many years has Clinton Portis' career been shortened because we play people like Ray Brown. Nice player 15 years ago....joke today. How about we keep some draft choices some year to draft some depth, and stop playing 45 year olds on the offensive line.I'm concerned about Gibbs. Greg Williams performs miracles while Gibbs continues to throw passes behind the line of scrimmage, and play people like Mark Brunell, James Thrash, and Ray Brown. It's like watching half a team.....so much so that when Rogers missed that interception-touchdown against Seattle, it was obviously over, our scoring unit had missed its chance......because we have no offense against real teams.

Could we stop giving away our better players. Do we really need to All Pro up the Giants and Eagles linebacker corps. We could have used Smoot this year as well. Stop giving away talent, cut bad players, KEEP THE GOOD ONES......KEEP ARRINGTON ( AND PLAY HIM )

wow buddy did you just get off the short school bus or what? where do i start?

time to bring out good ol' DR. SkinFan13 again...

1)we have some excellent linemen, ray brown was filling in in the place of injuries, clinton had an excelent year too, last time i checked.

2) mocking gibbs's playcalling? you say the screen is bad? four touchdown and over 150 yards on those plays this year. 3 touchdowns by moss, one by cooley, good play calling in my eyes.

3) how DARE you insult thrash! he is a GOOD reciever a team leader, an excelent intangible guy (intagibles DO matter, look wha happened between TO and eagles, ecellent examlple; talent needs character),and a man of morales, when given the ball, he produces, so go shove it!

4)we DO have offense against REAL teams (if seattle qualifies as a REAL team, see all 2005 team statistics for seahawks), let me demonstrate, 35-7 cowboys, 35-20 giants, 31-17 eagles, point proved, moving on

5) your argument on "giving away" good players is pathetic, it deserves a response with the same number of words as your IQ, are you ready?

SALARY CAP

my work here is done

We pay dearly with top draft picks for Jason Campbell, and he can't play over Mark Brunell.??? That makes no sense. If Campbell wasn't good enough to play in 2006, then we paid too much for him; but if Campbell really has talent, how could he not beat out the slug who dragged the offense down all season....

How many teams start a rookie? How many teams start a rookie and have a winning season? Gibbs isn't going to do it. How much it costs to draft the guy is irrelevant. 'The Slug'??? The 'slug' who helped us sweep Dallas and Philly for the first time in an eon???? Are you mindless?

Mark Brunell. 40 yards throwing in a playoff game, almost as bad in 2nd playoff game until garbage time, accuracy of Michael Vick 10-15 times a game, constantly throwing the ball out of bounds, giving up on plays when no defender is near him. I love the article where Brunell says the "offense needs to improve" apparently oblivious that he is the primary reason the "offense needs to improve", is that a set play where James Thrash runs out of bounds and Brunell throws the ball even farther out of bounds ( they were running that play 3-4 times a game towards the end of the regular season ).

Granted, our offense against the Bucs was non-existent. But did it escape you that a) we scored 14 pts off the defense right off the bat and arguably, didn't need to take risks offensively, and B) we were facing the #1 or #2 defense in the league. You do realize those 2 points, don't you? Bueller?

Can we get a kicker who can land kickoffs between the goal line and the 5, as opposed to John Hall's short, line drive kickoffs being handled between the 15-20, so that a normal return has the oppositions offense starting at their 35 or 40. How many games does Gibbs have to see Hall put extra pressure on the defense before he addresses it.

Yes. And we ought to. I said so a month ago when we released Novak - it was a mistake. And Novak probably wasn't the long-term answer either, but he'd have hit that Seattle FG attempt. Hall is a great kicker when healthy. But he's not going to be healthy. Congrats on a valid point.

Get some offensive linemen for christs sake. How many years has Clinton Portis' career been shortened because we play people like Ray Brown. Nice player 15 years ago....joke today. How about we keep some draft choices some year to draft some depth, and stop playing 45 year olds on the offensive line.

Ray Brown's done. Otherwise, you're overstating the case.

I'm concerned about Gibbs. Greg Williams performs miracles while Gibbs continues to throw passes behind the line of scrimmage, and play people like Mark Brunell, James Thrash, and Ray Brown. It's like watching half a team.....so much so that when Rogers missed that interception-touchdown against Seattle, it was obviously over, our scoring unit had missed its chance......because we have no offense against real teams. Offense generated 10 points in 2 playoff games, defense 17 ( when the defense gives you the ball on their 5, that's a defensive score, when the defense gives you the ball in field goal range, and you only get a field goal, that's a defensive score )

'Concerned about Gibbs'???? Whats wrong with you? I'm concerned about YOU. We lost our #2 receiver, our #3 receiver messed his groin/hamstring up, then broke his thumb heading into the playoffs. **** happens. To all NFL teams, btw.....sorry that interfered with your plans for a perfect season. Gibbs is hardly responsible. And Williams had his own shortcomings to account for, thank you very much.

I hope Campbell plays in 2007, that we keep Arrington, get some lineman, get a receiver, and that Brunell goes to his natural position...clip board holder

Campbell will play when he's READY to play. Period. And our secondary was stellar when it was healthy. Injuries happen. Smoot played no better than our starters did this year (when they were healthy) although I hear he can do things with his mouth on a cruise-ship that are truly 'other wordly' :) Carlos Rogers is a rising star (you know, the guy GIBBS drafted!). Arrington needs to shut his yap and listen to his coaches and he'll get plenty of playing time. Otherwise, he'll make a great salary for some losing team. And keep dissing Brunell - he's 1/2 the reason we got to the playoffs this year - if you had any sense, you'd see it.

Some ok ideas- basically at O-line and K. But, drastically underrate the progress Gibbs and co. made on offense and the fact injuries forced alot of these 'o- problems'.

But, the point that made the whole post worthless and completely lacking credibility... the notion we should have kept Fred Smoot.

NEWS TO YOU SIR- FRED SMOOT SUCKS!!!!!! NEVER SUGGEST IN ANY WAY THE REDSKINS WOULD BE BETTER WITH HIM.

How many teams start a rookie? How many teams start a rookie and have a winning season? Gibbs isn't going to do it. How much it costs to draft the guy is irrelevant. 'The Slug'??? The 'slug' who helped us sweep Dallas and Philly for the first time in an eon???? Are you mindless?

Thank you so much! People must be crazy to think a rookie can just jump in an offense and light it up. The last I looked, Mark Brunell had over 3000 yards passing and very few interceptions.

A rookie would of had 20 interceptions on that many attempts and we would not have even came close to hitting the Playoffs. No way a rookie would have won them 6 games in a row.

So many think because Big Ben did it that everyone can do it. Ben's winning percentage is only high when the Steelers run the ball, they lose when they have to pass and catch up.

This is a SuperBowl caliber team this year, but not if a rookie QB is running it.

Granted, our offense against the Bucs was non-existent. But did it escape you that a) we scored 14 pts off the defense right off the bat and arguably, didn't need to take risks offensively, and B) we were facing the #1 or #2 defense in the league. You do realize those 2 points, don't you? Bueller?

Yes. And we ought to. I said so a month ago when we released Novak - it was a mistake. And Novak probably wasn't the long-term answer either, but he'd have hit that Seattle FG attempt. Hall is a great kicker when healthy. But he's not going to be healthy. Congrats on a valid point.

Ray Brown's done. Otherwise, you're overstating the case.

'Concerned about Gibbs'???? Whats wrong with you? I'm concerned about YOU. We lost our #2 receiver, our #3 receiver messed his groin/hamstring up, then broke his thumb heading into the playoffs. **** happens. To all NFL teams, btw.....sorry that interfered with your plans for a perfect season. Gibbs is hardly responsible. And Williams had his own shortcomings to account for, thank you very much.

Campbell will play when he's READY to play. Period. And our secondary was stellar when it was healthy. Injuries happen. Smoot played no better than our starters did this year (when they were healthy) although I hear he can do things with his mouth on a cruise-ship that are truly 'other wordly' :) Carlos Rogers is a rising star (you know, the guy GIBBS drafted!). Arrington needs to shut his yap and listen to his coaches and he'll get plenty of playing time. Otherwise, he'll make a great salary for some losing team. And keep dissing Brunell - he's 1/2 the reason we got to the playoffs this year - if you had any sense, you'd see it.

No sh_t!!!!

Where do these people get off?

You must be Panther fans!

Hail!:point2sky

jason_campbell.jpg

:dallasuck :dallasuck:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

:doh:

*DISCLAIMER*

(the opinions expressed by the author in no way speak for other Skins fans in Illinois)

The air must be pretty cold up there in No. IL dude. Your brain froze up. :)

I do agree with point number 3 though. The ball seemed to never go past the 10 yd line late in the season and opponents were starting past the 30 pretty consistently.

we are getting campbel ready for the NFL right now, remember the last time we just stuck a highly touted first round QB in without a little preperation? last i head he was packing a U-Haul and was going to be traded

That's a valid point...but don't you have to consider what we paid. we didn't pay like he wasn't ready...and don't you have to also consider that we played the entire season without a QB.

I like your point better if Campbell was a 3rd round pick and Brunell played up to the level of his salary....but I see your point

what garbage time was there during the seattle game?

After Brunell had led us to, I believe 15 plays in our first 5 possessions, and had established that, because of him and Portis being hurt ( and Ray Brown being on the field ), that the offense once again would not be participating in the days game.

After Rogers missed the interception-touchdown, the game was over....except for hoping for miracle bombs, or hoping the defense could score.

"Garbage time"...began when Rogers couldn't come up with that interception

but for Brunell it began the first time he touched the ball, in Seattle, in Tampa Bay, and in 7 or 8 other Redskins games

No disrespect to Tarhog, but I feel compelled to do the point-by-point rebuttal too:

1) That "slug" threw 23 TDs and 10 INTs. I'll take a "slug" like that every day of the week. You may have also noticed that said "slug" threw an amazing deep ball and displayed incredible touch throughout the season. His performance dropped off dramatically after he hurt his knee. We've established that Brunell (and most other QBs for that matter) loses velocity and accuracy when his legs are bothering him. I think the injury was probably worse than the team let on too, but I can't prove that.

2) Watch the first Dallas game again, when Brunell was healthy. Those two deep balls were flawless, and the 20-yard out to Thrash kept us alive. Again, you mention at the end of the season, MB struggled with accuracy. Again, I reiterate, he was hurt.

3) Here, you are absolutely correct.

4) Get some offensive linemen? Three Pro Bowlers isn't enough? How bout four? Or do we need all five to be PBers? There is not a guard in the game I'd take straight up for Randy Thomas. Ray Brown started, and PLAYED WELL, because Thomas broke his ankle. Other than that, our OL is fine. (Including Dockery)

5) "We have no offense against real teams." 35 points against the #1 defense in the league, albeit in a loss, doesn't constitute offense against a real team? Tell me, great swami, what does?? I will concede that James Thrash is not a legit #2 WR. But who was the alternative?

6) I don't want Trotter, Pierce or Bailey. They're all great players. But none of them wanted to be Redskins. The guys that are here DO want to be Redskins, and whether you choose to believe it or not, that does matter.

-- And in conclusion, get the hell off of Ray Brown already. Did you see what happened when Cory Raymer came in? Brown played his ass off, and did a VERY commendable job of filling in for Thomas.

That is all.

wow buddy did you just get off the short school bus or what? where do i start?

time to bring out good ol' DR. SkinFan13 again...

1)we have some excellent linemen, ray brown was filling in in the place of injuries, clinton had an excelent year too, last time i checked.

2) mocking gibbs's playcalling? you say the screen is bad? four touchdown and over 150 yards on those plays this year. 3 touchdowns by moss, one by cooley, good play calling in my eyes.

3) how DARE you insult thrash! he is a GOOD reciever a team leader, an excelent intangible guy (intagibles DO matter, look wha happened between TO and eagles, ecellent examlple; talent needs character),and a man of morales, when given the ball, he produces, so go shove it!

4)we DO have offense against REAL teams (if seattle qualifies as a REAL team, see all 2005 team statistics for seahawks), let me demonstrate, 35-7 cowboys, 35-20 giants, 31-17 eagles, point proved, moving on

5) your argument on "giving away" good players is pathetic, it deserves a response with the same number of words as your IQ, are you ready?

SALARY CAP

my work here is done

Thanks for not really answering any of my concerns with objectivity, and for your rudeness. I'll gladly give you a chance to express yourself to me in person....I'd like that a lot. I don't care for cowards like you who get off being rude because you can pretend to be a man over the internet. People like you make me sick.

But to address your subjective points...

Teams have injuries. Ray Brown should never have been in a position to be on the field. It's just a joke to expect Portis to run behind a player incapable of blocking anybody, who should have retired long ago. It's poor management to have a guy like that on the field, more so in a playoff game.

"Thrash is a good receiver"...it's nice to be a homer, but Thrash should be a special teamer, if anything, at this point in his career. His current skill level is almost non-existant

We don't give away good players ? What did we get for Antonio Pierce ? What did we get for Jerimiah Trotter ? We dumped Trotter for some old geezer who never played a game for us. What did we get for Fred Smoot ? The Redskins have made some good roster moves, but we are establishing a trend of simply dumping pro bowl quality players. Arrington next ? I hope not. For you to say we don't do this, well, that's simply not true. "Salary cap" doesn't force teams to cut pro bowlers and continue to overpay Mark Brunell. There are choices, and we've been wrong too much lately, giving up top quality players.

The pass play Gibbs calls too much, that he never called in his first tour here, that pass behind the line of scrimmage, probably trying to accomodate for Brunell's lack of skills, is not a screen pass...so I'm not sure what you were talking about....but that play did result in a couple of touchdowns, and about 100 2 yards gains, and allowed the defense to continually play 8 and 9 in the box, because they knew Brunell was a long shot, at best, to beat them....and the end result was to cripple the running game, which had to always deal with an over-crowded line of scrimmage.

You are entitled to your opinions, as I am mine. Your rudeness and lack of tolerance are all too typical of our society today.

I'm getting tired of all of these posts talking about how garbage Brunell is for throwing the ball away. Not sure about you, but I would rather an incomplete pass than a sack or an interception. I'm not saying that there are NEVER people open, but Brunell has to make the call -- and I like his decision making over a rookie QB.

I don't think anybody is going to argue that losing Trotter, Pierce, and Smoot were "good" moves, but in every business you need to make some hard decisions sometimes. Also, the staff needed to establish some consistency on how much to pay people and how negotiations will work.

Honestly though, Trotter didn't do anything for the Skins while he was here. I don't know who to blame on that, but it was very frustrating. I'm guessing that you're blaming Gibbs. You're entitled to your opinion I guess.

Archived