Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are we rivals with Tampa Bay?

ImmortalDragon

That's interesting. The birth of a new rival is always welcome. Makes the game a lot more fun.

Redskin fans certainly want to see Chris Sims go down hard after taunting Rodgers on the sideline. Where's Dexter when you need him? Maybe you're too young to remember when he got retaliation on Danny White. Probably my earliest Redskins memory.

:dallasuck

2 close games with lots of controversy and we're playing them again next season. I have a feeling it'll be quite a game.

Oh yeah. We are fumed about the Alstott call and they are fumed about the Shephard no touchdown (even though that was the correct call). We don't like them and they don't like us. Plus the game next year could well be for home field advantage rights in the playoffs. I'd call that a rivalry.

Way back in 1994, we actually played them twice in the regular season. I know that's going back, but I always remembered that because 1) i live in Buc country and 2) I don't remember ever doing that with a team that wasn't in our division.

I wonder how'd that happen?

I think we have a bigger rivalry with the refs than Tampa. Tampa fans, for the most part, are way too fickle to develop a rivalry with. If one does emerge though I will welcome it.

I agree, though part of a rivalry also involves the coaches...and lets say Gibbs vs Gruden is a hotter prospect then Norv vs Dungy or Spurrier vs Gruden, that's for sure. When you have two coaches at the top of their game, two master motivators, that adds to the rivalry.

Way back in 1994, we actually played them twice in the regular season. I know that's going back, but I always remembered that because 1) i live in Buc country and 2) I don't remember ever doing that with a team that wasn't in our division.

Back then when the NFC East had 5 teams and the old NFC Central had 5 teams the 5th place team from each division played each other twice the next year.

I don't get why the NFL scheduled the Redskins to play the Bucs in Tampa again, this upcoming season. It would have been nice to bring it back here for the next game.

And I would say that it is or is becoming a legit out-of-division rivalry. Obviously, a lot of our fans still remember the loss in the '99 playoffs, and then since Gibbs' return - first regular season game back, home game against the Bucs which we won, followed by the controversial loss in Tampa this regular season, and then the 'Skins knocking them out of the playoffs in the divisional round most recently.

Our fans probably put a lot more thought into it than their's do. But for me personally, it's definitely already become a situation where I really want us to beat them every time that we meet from now on (or perhaps in more fitting words, never lose to them again), no matter what.

I don't get why the NFL scheduled the Redskins to play the Bucs in Tampa again, this upcoming season. It would have been nice to bring it back here for the next game.

And I would say that it is or is becoming a legit out-of-division rivalry. Obviously, a lot of our fans still remember the loss in the '99 playoffs, and then since Gibbs' return - first regular season game back, home game against the Bucs which we won, followed by the controversial loss in Tampa this regular season, and then the 'Skins knocking them out of the playoffs in the divisional round most recently.

Our fans probably put a lot more thought into it than their's do. But for me personally, it's definitely already become a situation where I really want us to beat them every time that we meet from now on (or perhaps in more fitting words, never lose to them again), no matter what.

The reason is random. The new Nfl schedule has you rotate home games every third year with NFC division you are matched up with. In 2009 we will get Tampa at home. The two other games against Non NFC east teams, in 2006 the Vikings and Rams is totally random as far as where we play, we play the Vikings and Rams because they eached finished in second in their respective divisions.. So if Tampa finishes in the same spot as us in their division in 06/07 we could conceivably play them on the road 4 strait times. Hope that clarify's it with you.

I'm not sure, but I think theres a formula thats used that tries to match up strong teams home/away in one division with strong teams strong/away in the other division. For example, the Eagles finished last in our division, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got Carolina and Tampa (tough teams from NFC South) at home next year. We have Carolina at home but Tampa away...which is better then both on the road.

Skins shouldn't be too intimidated about going into a place where they almost won twice this year, I don't think. That being said, I'd love to see a victory thats resounding this time around, and leave no room for it coming down to referees calls (either for or against us)

I'm not sure, but I think theres a formula thats used that tries to match up strong teams home/away in one division with strong teams strong/away in the other division. For example, the Eagles finished last in our division, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got Carolina and Tampa (tough teams from NFC South) at home next year. We have Carolina at home but Tampa away...which is better then both on the road.

Skins shouldn't be too intimidated about going into a place where they almost won twice this year, I don't think. That being said, I'd love to see a victory thats resounding this time around, and leave no room for it coming down to referees calls (either for or against us)

See above, the only thing random with the Nfl schedule is home/away setting for the two games against the NFC in which you aren't playing the entire division. Schedules are set with the exception of two games for the distant future, the only way I see it changing is if there is a expansion team added.

Before the end of the year 14 games were set for 06 the only two that weren't set were the Home game against the Vikings and road game against the Rams. Again, we play them because the eached finished in 2nd place.

It works the same for the AFC. We get Nashville and Jacksonville at home this year because in 02 we played them both on the road.

Hmm, I guess it would have been better had I worded the beginning of my post with something along the lines of, "it's unfortunate that", instead of "I don't get why". Kind of gave off a slightly misguided impression. I know that the league has their own impartial and structured way of constructing schedules, fair to all of the teams.

I appreciate the detailed explanations though. It just wasn't the main idea that I was aiming to get across or have directed towards in my post.

Hmm, I guess it would have been better had I worded the beginning of my post with something along the lines of, "it's unfortunate that", instead of "I don't get why". Kind of gave off a slightly misguided impression. I know that the league has their own impartial and structured way of constructing schedules, fair to all of the teams.

I appreciate the detailed explanations though. It just wasn't the main idea that I was aiming to get across or have directed towards in my post.

0425133656.jpg

If you wanted to post random thoughts try the above websight. :laugh:

Archived