Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In depth analysis of a SUCCESFUL Running Game...

AUviaDC101

Often times we blame the successes, and failures of a running game on either the o-line, playcalling or the running back. Lets look at it from a different perspective. The PERSONEL aspect. Not directing this towards any player in particular, just the intangibles of a VERY pugilistic sport. The shortest/fastest distance from point A to point B on a football field is between the guard and tackle or center and guard via handoff... Some of the greatest teams had bruisers who could manage the clock as well as gain substantial 2nd down situations throughout a game allowing offensive coordinators more luxuries when sifting through 300-500 play calls. Marcus Allen, Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, and Joh Riggins now have the New Millenium versions in Rudi Johnson, Ronnie Brown, Jerome Bettis, Eddie George, and Stephen Jackson.

The Redskins brilliant running game this year had one HUGE flaw: Clinton Portis is not a between the hedges type running back! He is a playmaking flash and dash style runner. If Gibbs wants Portis (215lbs wet) to give him 1300-1500 yards for the next two years, not only does he need to invest in and USE a second POWER back, he needs to get some athletic guards who will get the the second and third level with ease.

The importance of the second bruising back goes further than the simple 3rd and short(s). The bruising back helps 'soften' up the linebacking corp. Think about it. If you are a 235-260 linebacker, hitting and pummeling a small 205lb Portis is simple as cake. But if you have a lumber back (no homo) coming off the tackles you better brace yourself, because most likely you will catch a stinger that may slow you down a step or two the next two plays. Thats all PORTIS needs... Unfortunately we have an O-Line made for a Stephen Davis and/or a Rudi Johnson. Big 6'6 guys, who pop open holes and expect the RB to break arms for 7-15 yard gains. I'd like to see us draft an undersized SMART Big Ten Guard who will end up either forcing Dockery to PLAY FOOTBALL, or getting him on the Trade Market. Randy Thomas is a PERFECT example. Not undersized, but from his knees down to his toes did almost ALL the work for him this year... If you want a successful counter tre Mr. Gibbs, you need nimble O-Lineman like Thomas. Get rid of Samuels, and pick up a Denver or San Diego tackle which spreads the line.

Portis' success in Denver was the result of NOT ONLY athletic, nimble undersized o-linemen... But the fact that Shannahan ran a platoon based running scheme. He had a 1500 yard back, a 600 yard back and another back that popped in 5 touchdowns... Look at him this year... If the O-Line cannot do some damage to some bodies on the secondary and tertiary lines of defense, than it would be EXTREMELY pinnacle to attain a powerful 245-260lb running back.

Unfortunately Bush (Louiseville) and #37 for Texas are both attending college next year. A nice alias FA/trade would be for the likes of a Ron Dayne, or even signing the aging Eddie George...

So, in conclusion, I do feel that we MUST address our needs (WR, DE) as a first priority (WR/FA; DE/1st pick) however, to make this offseason an extremely successful one, we MUST pick up a late round big body receiver, a guard, and a POWER back. Free agency, draft, or via trade. It does not matter. But with the addition of a VERY prolific O-Coordinator, that opens up ALOT of holes in our offense. Just a different perspective...

Gibbs For Life!!!

Hmm...Well Portis has gained weight from his first year with the skins, and has tried to become more of a Tackle runner. But Instead of looking at the RB (I think CP is not the problem, his great, and we can't really ask for more of him) We need a 2nd wideout and a TE that we can use on quick play action(s). Cooley is a good H-Back, but if we get Cooley (who is a decent blocker) and a Big fast TE and sellers on counters, we wont' need a O-Line upgrade, thomas has just got into the groove of things (until he got hurt) with CP. Clinton is a great back, if he last for 7-9 years his a shoe in for the HOF.

Never said he was the problem. No, I simply suggested that the OVERALL problem was personell. There is NO excuse to be 1.5 yards out of 'their' endzone, and we have a 205-215 running back lining up. Whe we have SELLARS, and Ladell, and Rock, and Nemo... NO EXCUSE.

Sorry, I think this thread was actually aimed at Gibbs (oooops... Sorry GOD, I do humbly repent, for I have sinned, and questioned one of your gifts to mankind)...

We have a new O-Coordinator which is going to demand alot more out of the personell. Thus, there are some BIG holes that need to be dealt with.

Gibbs For Life!!!

Never said he was the problem. No, I simply suggested that the OVERALL problem was personell. There is NO excuse to be 1.5 yards out of 'their' endzone, and we have a 205-215 running back lining up. Whe we have SELLARS, and Ladell, and Rock, and Nemo... NO EXCUSE.

Sorry, I think this thread was actually aimed at Gibbs (oooops... Sorry GOD, I do humbly repent, for I have sinned, and questioned one of your gifts to mankind)...

We have a new O-Coordinator which is going to demand alot more out of the personell. Thus, there are some BIG holes that need to be dealt with.

Gibbs For Life!!!

Hey great great points I think Gibbs and Buegel realize this and I think they will rectify this sooner than later

Archived