Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Noticed something about Portis

jivelikenice

Portis is an outstanding running back in my opinion but I think everyone here on this board would agree that although he beasted this past season that this still isn't the best that Portis could be. While I was watching one of the highlight vidoes in the filmroom I noticed that Portis never uses a stiff arm. He always lowers his shoulder (definitely a tough guy) but I saw maybe on stiff arm in all of the highlights.

1. I think that using a stiff arm will help him turn those 7-10 yard runs into long gainers

2. Using the stiff arm would probably save some wear & tear on his body which has to be a concern at some point. Instead of absorbing the hit in his shoulder area he would absorb a large portion in his arms.

The only negative is that it could lead to more fumbling if its not something he is used to but I really think he's a special back and has a 2000 yard season in his future.

stiffarms are overrated. in all situations where he lowered the shoulder, a stiffarm would accomplish nothing. also, i think lowering your shoulder and bowling a guy over and running through him accomplishes a lot more than a stiffarm anyway. SHOULDER=TOUGH YARDS AND TDS

STIFFARM=FUMBLES

i feel we need to get him more involed in the passing game i never saw a regular screen pass to him all year i saw that loop screen to him but other then that nothing but if Randy Thomas is the key ingrediant to Portis success because of the way Randy pulls so good next year i'm expecting like 1700 yards with 16 TD's

Honestly, if we pick up Eric Moulds, Reggie Wayne, or a HIGH profile college wide reciever that can make an immediate impact. Along with adding a bit of depth to back up the o-line. I think Clinton Portis can be a 2,000 Yard back. Remember, he had 1,300 Yards with a 41 year old offensive lineman, and bunch of backup o-lineman in 2004.

P.S Ray Brown is great,we may have gotten farther with Randy Thomas, but we would'nt of gotten this far this season with out him.

I love playing Madden too.

The stiff arms and juke moves take Portis to the house on a regular basis.

Seriously, most times when Portis has been tackled, a stiff arm wouldnt help much.

I have a feeling it's a blessing for me on this board that I've never played any football video games :laugh:

CP is perfect hes a physical tough guy who doesnt fumble much he always covers the ball and goes for the hit instead of just trotting out of bounds with the addition of a 2nd receiver and a more productive passing game CP will see 2000 yards from more opportunistiv running instead of strait power running

Portis is an outstanding running back in my opinion but I think everyone here on this board would agree that although he beasted this past season that this still isn't the best that Portis could be. While I was watching one of the highlight vidoes in the filmroom I noticed that Portis never uses a stiff arm. He always lowers his shoulder (definitely a tough guy) but I saw maybe on stiff arm in all of the highlights.

1. I think that using a stiff arm will help him turn those 7-10 yard runs into long gainers

2. Using the stiff arm would probably save some wear & tear on his body which has to be a concern at some point. Instead of absorbing the hit in his shoulder area he would absorb a large portion in his arms.

The only negative is that it could lead to more fumbling if its not something he is used to but I really think he's a special back and has a 2000 yard season in his future.

OK Coach

I too would like to see him use the stiff arm more....but first he has to put the ball in the proper arm in order to do that.

I too would like to see him use the stiff arm more....but first he has to put the ball in the proper arm in order to do that.

Oh stop. I've got the games on tape and though there are a few instances where he did carry the ball in the "wrong" arm, there are a helluva alot more where he carries it in the "proper" arm. Hell there are pics all over the place of him doing so. Quit trying to make a mountain of a very small molehill. As for the stiff arm, seen him doing that once or twice as well, though many of his carries didn't really allow for the use of it since that is something that is more of a one on one type thing. Guys, if you're going to analyse and critique Portis's running, you're going to have to do more than just watch a highlight film or a few plays.

Guest ComebackKing
i hope southeast jerome makes a return next year, that dude can run :laugh:
Southeast Jerome is not with us any longer R.I.P. Didn't you see him with his friends in heaven? He has moved on to a better place...

Archived