Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did YOU become a redskins fan?

Karlton79

Born in P.G.C outside of D.C in 1980, My mother and father are from D.C.- So I guess i was brought up to love the Redskins, by 5 I had Theisman #7 uniform (with the helmet with one bar- big in the 80s), by 7 I got to watch Doug Williams lead the greatest quarter in superbowl history against the broncos, and by 11 got to talk trash the entire season as the redskins went 14-2 on their way to smash the bills. And now that I'm a father I get to start the tradition all over again- he's 2, he may not be potty trained yet, but he can say REDSKINS and thats alright with me.

When they hired George Allen as head coach. That's when they made a real commitment to be a playoff contender (ie.The Future Is Now). How could you not love the "Over the Hill Gang"? In the 50's and 60's I was a die hard Baltimore Colts fan. Johnnie Unitas, Lennie Moore, John Mackie, Raymond Berry, Jimmy Orr,...the list goes on and on. I dated a girl in high school whose mother was Billy Ray Smith's first cousin. Pretty neat.

I have been one since the day I was conceived and when I was born my mother further drilled that into me when she looked into my eyes when I was just a few seconds old, and said "You are GOING to be a Redskins fan". That is how it's been ever since. Seriously though, it's a HUGE tradition in my family..the crazy part is, I'm married to a Cowgirl fan. We argue ALL the time!

When I was 5 I went to Redskins Raiders preseason game at RFK and had a football signed by Joe T. and a banner signed by Chief Z. My parents were steeler fans but my fate was sealed that day. Thanks aunt Carol for taking me to the game.

As a native of West Palm Beach I was (OK, I still am) a big Dolphins fan. I came to DC to attend Howard University (many years ago :) ) and was deluged with Redskins info on WTEM/Sportstalk 980. You can't help but love them after hearing about the players all the time. And the fans here are so great and supportive that I had to be down!

Am I official?

I used to sit on my dad's lap as a baby and watch the Redskins play. It's all I've ever known and all I want to know. When we moved to Atlanta, he asked me if I was going to be a Falcons fan now and I told him he was nuts. My husband was a Raiders fan when I met him and I made him "convert" before I'd marry him. I now struggle to raise my son as a Redskins fan in Titans country. Go Skins!

Actually, my two older brothers got me into the Redskins during when we moved to Norfolk, VA. in the early 80's when Joe Theismann was still the Redskins QB at the time. It all started with a phone design. They had to pick between the phone designs of the Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. Out of the two, they picked the Redskins telephone design. From there, all of us started liking the Washington Redskins.

Living in the UK I had never watched the NFL and never even knew the basic rules of the sport. That was until about a year ago when I just decided to watch the divisional playoff games coz I thought it looked cool. I absolutely loved it and proceeded to find out more and more about the sport. I then watched the Conference championship games and the Superbowl and ProBowl. I chose to support the Redskins because my cousins in Washington are die-hard fans. I spent the entire off-season following all the slow news days, playing lots of Madden 05 and eagerly awaiting the start of the season. And then when it came I loved it more and more and more. I watched every game that wasn't on TV, on nfl.com gamecentre following the online scoreboard play-by-play coverage for 3 hours straight. I have even converted friends of mine and family members who knew nothing about the sport to being fans! I expected the Redskins to be very ordinary this season and so I can't be called a bandwagon fan! I can't wait now for next season. Go Skins!!! I felt like I've supported this team all my life now!

This is going to sound ridiculous but it's true, when I was little my parents got my lil bro a giants uniform/costume for his birthday...I wanted one but they didn't want us to have the same one so they got me a redskins uniform for christmas that year, it was the only one they could find, and i've been a fan since...kinda backfired on my parents though since they're both giants fans....Go Skins!

DNA baby. It's in me, always was. I can't explain it. It used to drive my parents crazy when I was little. Just a Navy brat growing up in Virginia Beach, watching the Skins from '72 till now. Mom and Dad from South Philly, you know that hurt. Hail to the Redskins.

Archived