Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How did YOU become a redskins fan?

Karlton79

Personally I have no idea why I even love sports so much. I am the only diehard sports fan in my entire family. I guess I became a Skins fan by growing up in Baltimore, being that at the time was the home team. Befor the Ravens got there, of course. But..who cares about them? SKINS FOREVER!!!:helmet: :cheers:

The first football game I ever watched was the Super Bowl between the Niners and the Bengals. 1981 I think? I was 7 years old, and I sat and watched it by myself. I couldn't stop talking about it to my Mom afterward. I was hooked.

She told one of my uncles (long time Skins fan) that I liked football. The next year, he had an extra ticket and he asked me if I wanted to go. An awesome thing to do considering that he could have asked one of his buddies and had more fun tailgating.

From then on, I bled the B&G! Thanks Kevin!

:point2sky

I'm not going to lie. I wasn't born a Skins fan. First I was a Packers fan for quite a while, then (I can't believe I am admitting this) I had a stint as a Cowboys fan. But since I was 10, I am forever a Redskins fan with no love at all for the Cowboys or Packers.

As Joe Gibbs would say, "I was born to be a Skins fan." I was born into it, in 1974 and grew up in Arlington, VA. My family consists of several generations of Redskins fans. Believe me my grandma is a pesimist cause she remembers the decline and the lean years, before Lombardi walked through the door and Allen. So I guess I had no choice as long as I wanted a place to sleep, my dad wouldn't have it any other way.

Once I asked my dad when I was about 5, "what would happen if I got drafted by Dallas?" my dad responded by saying, "It would be nice knowing you, goodbye, you'd no longer be allowed to be part of this family." It was actually a fear of mine cause I wanted to be a Skin so bad.

Hail:logo::logo::logo:

As a boy growing up in Iowa, due to geography I had to choose between the NFC North teams or the Chiefs. Dad was a Packers fan, so I, too, was a Packers fan for a while. But always being one not to go with the flow, I jumped on the Skins bandwagon, just before they started winning Super Bowls.

And if a few Super Bowls didn't do it, then Super Tecmo Bowl helped even more. I loved playing as the 'Skins in that!

The skins have been apart of my family since the 1940's. My grandparents moved up to DC from Tennessee and southern VA to find work in the 1940's. Their first date was a Redskin game, the rest is history.

We have season tickets that have been passed down through generations.

I grew up in Carlisle, Pa.... a long time training camp for the skins. My dad took me to watch them every year and my very first memory would have to be when we were eating at McDonalds one day. Ricky Sanders, Gary Clark, and Darell Green were in there also, and they saw that I was wearing a Redskins hat and each one of them came over and autographed it for me. It was awesome to me because they could have easily overlooked me....I've been a Skins fan ever since!!!

I grew up in Carlisle, Pa.... a long time training camp for the skins. My dad took me to watch them every year and my very first memory would have to be when we were eating at McDonalds one day. Ricky Sanders, Gary Clark, and Darell Green were in there also, and they saw that I was wearing a Redskins hat and each one of them came over and autographed it for me. It was awesome to me because they could have easily overlooked me....I've been a Skins fan ever since!!!

thats awesome!

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139401

My story is on there along with another couple of good ones.

Living in Scotland and supporting the football (soccer to you guys) team Hearts they play in the capital city of Scotland and in the same colours so on getting in to NFL (mainly through the Madden game) the Redskins were thankfully the natural choice.

:helmet:

Growing up in Oklahoma City without a nfl team, I was sandwiched between the Dallas and KC Markets. Had to watch the Cowboys get lucky and win almost every week because there was only about 2 games on every Sunady. So in 1974 at the tender age of 10, I decided to root for the Skins because I hated Dallas so much. I rebelled!

All my family is Cowboy Fans, but I am passionate about the Redskins.

Its been a great 32 years since that time.

Archived