Art

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=15114

Have fun :).

ExtremeSkins Fan View: Let It Linger

By Arthur Mills

Redskins.com

January 20, 2006

That didn't linger long, did it?

On Tuesday, my wife relayed to me a question asked of her by the person who runs the day care my daughter attends. Jenny asked my wife, "So, during football season you're kind of a single parent, huh?"

This was relayed to me with sad eyes, pouty lips and a nod from a wife frequently abandoned with a baby girl while I move about the country watching the Redskins play and ingratiating myself with team officials.

Not for nothing, but sucking up paid off handsomely, or nearly so. I had everyone sold on an ExtremeSkins Fan View sideline report on Redskins.comTV after a win against Seattle. It would be the bomb with me crossing Dick Vitale with Jim Rome along with a bit of George Carlin. But we lost, so, maybe next year.

In any case, I could only smile at my wife's story, perversely proud everyone at the day care knows I'm so devoted (if to the wrong thing), while wondering how long this offseason would go before things got interesting.

Didn't have to wait long, did we?

Here I am ripping off another remarkable piece for your pleasure and someone posts a note that Al Saunders is interviewing with us to possibly take on a role with the offensive staff. I may not know everything, but, one thing I do know is if we're talking to someone, he's ours. Someone in our organization has learned the Jedi mind trick.

"You don't want to be a head coach in Oakland."

"Why, no. I don't want to be a head coach in Oakland."

"You want the same job you just had, only here in Washington."

"Why, yes. I do want to do the same job for you in Washington."

That's how it goes here. Or, we just show up with cashier's checks. Who can say?

Anyway, what good is a Fan View column with no fan view of the news that we're adding one of the best offensive minds in the game if, in fact, we were adding him to our staff.

Minutes later a story breaks. Saunders is ours.

For those of you who don't know how good Saunders is, I'll try to phrase it for you in a way we can all grasp. I hear when Gregg Williams walks through Redskins Park, people actually chant, "Maximus." For Saunders they'll chant, "Wallace."

("Gladiator" and "Braveheart" references in same column create one inspirational piece. You feel good, don't you?)

To think, on Monday, The Washington Post was so busy trying to create the story of the offseason telling us all fans could think about was whether the No. 11 offense would ever catch up with the No. 9 defense. You know they probably wrote that story when they were getting scooped by a San Francisco Bay area newspaper and one in Kansas City.

Here's a tip to the media.

If Redskins One is in the air in the offseason, it is a sign something's about to happen. Dan Snyder is one wealthy dude, but, last I checked he didn't build Redskins One with stealth technology. It is visible to the naked eye. If you can't figure out how to track a flight, then, listen to Coach Joe Gibbs who told you at his year-end press conference to stick around because something could happen at any moment.

In Washington, something can always happen at any moment because we're a team run by a bunch of guys entirely willing to do anything possible to improve this franchise.

You'd think these local media folks would figure this out a little on their own as this is the second time in a week the un-sourced editorial postulating within their reporting has been invalidated within hours by the wonderful reality of competence in the men running our franchise.

In addition to openly wondering what the team could possibly do to solidify itself on offense while the team was actively recruiting a top offensive mind and polishing off contract extensions with the entire offensive coaching staff, we were treated to suggestions the salary cap situation in 2006 would require the release of multiple players and the restructuring of numerous contracts.

The very next day, the same reporter actually sources out the fact the Redskins really don't have a lot of heavy lifting to do at all to get under the cap. Funny how facts keep interfering with the telling of a good myth, isn't it? This shouldn't keep catching the local media off guard because they have been told this time and time again.

Back in July 2004, a major feature on the Redskins cap situation was put together by Post writers believing the conclusion to the team's spending meant this team had 2004 and 2005 to compete before being torn apart by the cap. This despite being told everything was well in line with the planning.

"Every move we make is done looking three years down the road," Vinny Cerrato was quoted as saying in that article. "When we sign a free agent we know exactly how it's going to affect us and how it will count against the salary cap, and we're not going to do something that will put us in salary-cap jail or salary-cap hell."

The reporters just chose not to believe the team.

As fans, we don't make that mistake because we see what's happening here.

For the first time in years the signs of growth nurtured by excellent coaching and keen management showed on the field in a way we all saw. A way that led to wins.

The season left fans not with lingering questions, but a lingering feeling of wellness--one born of competence, professionalism and improvement--and hope. Perhaps for the first time in years we now see so very clearly the good hands this team is in. We see how much character, focus, fight and passion this team takes with it to the field. While others are not so quick to comprehend the vision before them, it is for us to guide them.

The men in charge of our team are men with an extremely accurate understanding as to the needs of the team they run.

They know what to do and they do it. They just did it again.

If at this point you are still confused about that, maybe you should be watching hockey.

If Redskins One is in the air in the offseason, it is a sign something's about to happen. Dan Snyder is one wealthy dude, but, last I checked he didn't build Redskins One with stealth technology. It is visible to the naked eye. If you can't figure out how to track a flight, then, listen to Coach Joe Gibbs who told you at his year-end press conference to stick around because something could happen at any moment.

Or log onto ES where every year at the start of F.A. someone has already started tracking Redskins One. :)

Good read. It truly is great to feel that sense of pride and anticipation for next season. Every year it has been "What will we do to turn it around next year?" Now I just want to get to that first sunday in September. I see Braveheart and Maximus taking their travelling warrior show on the road to Miami Feb 4 '07

"For those of you who don't know how good Saunders is, I'll try to phrase it for you in a way we can all grasp. I hear when Gregg Williams walks through Redskins Park, people actually chant, "Maximus." For Saunders they'll chant, "Wallace." "

BUAHAHAHAHAAH. Too funny. I sure hope this pans out as it should. Gibbs is a genius to be sure.

I'd have loved to see your face when, even as you were finishing the cap column, the Saunders story broke and you knew you'd be re-writing. :)

Ya done good.

Dude, talk about dread.

I had this sweet, sappy column all ready to go about how happy we were on the season, then Saunders broke and I told them I'd be late until the news solidified :). Glad I waited :).

You got to remember, they have a Redskins Two and a Redskins Three. So if you're not paying attention and one takes off, you track it while it flies to drop off The Danny's dry cleaning while Redskins One is off to Kansas City. It's not The Washington Post's fault - blame it on The Danny's need for pressed suits.

It could have been worse, RedskinsThree went for chinese food Wednesday night ...

Archived