Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yippieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom [Giants fan]

Strahan's 7-year extension guarantees $20 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com news services

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Michael Strahan, who set the NFL's single-season sacks record last season, and the New York Giants agreed Monday to a seven-year contract extension worth $46 million, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports.

The agreement ended speculation that this might be the defensive end's last season with the team.

Strahan's deal includes a $6.5 million signing bonus and, all told, $20 million of it is guaranteed. The agreement, which the Giants are to announce at a late-afternoon news conference, has not been signed and likely will take at least one or two more days to be reviewed by the NFL Management Council.

But there is no chance it will fall apart at this point.

Strahan and the Giants came close to reaching agreement this spring on a seven-year, $58 million contract (the extension he agreed to Monday provides about $2 million more in guaranteed money). That deal fell apart when Strahan balked at taking a $17 million signing bonus split over the first two years.

When the deal fell apart, running back Tiki Barber criticized Strahan and that led to a rift between the two players, one that both now say is old news.

Strahan, the NFL's defensive player of the year last season, is in the final year of a $32 million contract that he signed before the 1999 season. He got a $12 million signing bonus and was to make $8 million this season.

Tony Agnone, Strahan's agent, had talked with Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi over the past few days about a new contract, but even Strahan seemed unaware after practice Monday that a deal was imminent.

Strahan earned every penny of his contract last season, setting a single-season record 22.5 sacks, breaking the mark of 22 set by Mark Gastineau of the New York Jets in 1994.

Strahan's record-setting sack last season was somewhat controversial with Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre seemingly falling down in front of Strahan in the final game, on a naked bootleg that wasn't called in the huddle in the final minutes.

Strahan, who will turn 31 in November, is entering his 10th season in the league. The four-time Pro Bowl selection enters the season fifth among active players with 84.5 sacks, including 9.5 in 2000 when the Giants played in the Super Bowl.

Strahan downplayed his statistics Monday.

"You guys are caught up on one person," Strahan said. "What I do does not matter. What the team does matters, and I think everybody loses sight of that. My 22½ sacks mean nothing because we went 7-9. If we can have a better record and make the playoffs and have a chance to go to the Super Bowl, I could care less."

I'm happy too. I was worried Strahan would end up in D.C. with that $20 million next year and I don't think like him that much, especially with $20 million in his pocket :). He is a good signing for the Giants, but a bad signing in a way for us. With Curtis Martin's deal, as well as Lewis and Strahan, we're starting to see the dynamics of what it will take to get Davis, Arrington, Bailey and others in the fold here and the numbers are so staggering, we are going to have to lose a guy or two to save three or four. The NFL is moving closer and closer to guaranteed contracts every day with these huge bonus deals.

Not to jinx him but Strahan has never had a serious injury, he is in great shape and hasn't shown any signs of aging. Even if he only plays four more years, that is an average of 5 million a year which is actually kind of cheap. Plus, this contract is the same length as the original offer and 10 million less. The only difference is that more money is guaranteed. This is a great contract, frees up money in the short term and isn't bad at all if he plays the length of the contract. Either way, I'm glad it is done and very happy he is a Giant until he retires.

I would have hated for him to go to another team next year and have my Strahan jersey become obselete to go with my Armstead one.

that is one of the reasons you have to take a deep breath every time you sign a Jeremiah Trotter or other big ticket player to your team, because that salary at some point in the future may just preclude you from retaining someone you have already drafted and developed.

I'm happy to hear about this, because I like the idea of players being able to get guaranteed money.

To me, guaranteed money is better than the gurrent method (signing bonuses) because it spreads out the cap hit (to the team) and the income (on the player's taxes) among more years.

(I assume that guaranteed money will count against the cap in the year it's paid. It does still create the possibility of dead money, but if the player leaves, the dead money doesn't all accelerate into the next year).

I hope that the team can do right by everybody and I hope everyone will do right by the team. The 2 key players right now are LaVar and Champ. I don't think Davis will be here next year, I hope he will but I don't think he will.

I just hope LaVar and Champ can retire as a Skin. I would hope that if necessary each of these guys would take a stand and not suck all the money out of a team. I mean how much money do you really need!!

I could live well off a couple of mil a year.:D

strahan can be one of the classiest players in the nfl. he likes to be a team leader......he's kind of fun having on the other side, because even if the giant's lose, he's been a pretty good sport. he's the kind of guy i don't mind cheering for...(if they're not playing the redskins.)

Thats cool Tom. Strahan is one of my favorite players outside the Skins. He just seems like a cool guy who would be a lot of fun to hang out with. Even found myself taking his side in this whole Tiki Barber thing. And that Chunky soup comment after sacking McNabb last year is calssic.

Wow .. that's a lot of guaranteed money for someone that age. Hopefully for you guys he doesn't go down but you never know with the nature of the sport.

And Matty .. that sack was for real, Brett Favre just lost his contact lense and was looking for it on the ground :silly:

I'm just waiting to see a Jansen extended article followed by one for Champ.

I'm not resigned to the idea that S Davis is gone and I dont see us having a guy on the roster that can replace him.

We play in a smashmouth division in smashmouth weather in a smashmouth stadium.

Look at our receivers the only one that you can call finesse is J Green; well C Doering too.

I dont want to replace S Davis with some flashy dart type that some of you have visions of apparently that fragile kid currently in Jacksonville.

As a fan, I'll join in the congratualtions. It's nice to see your favorite players stick around.

But more objectively, I don't care who you are, that's a buttload of money to be paying a 31-year old DE. Yes, he's in great shape, but I just have a tough time imagining that he's worth the other players/contracts one has to give up to retain him.

I'm a firm believer that in the salary cap era, you don't put all of your eggs in one basket and risk hamstringing your team's ability to acquire new younger/better talent. That's the key.

If I owned a team, my front office, coaching staff and scouts would be the highest paid in the game as that's where I think you get your competitive edge in the salary cap era. They're the ones who identify and develop young (read as cheaper, more cost effective) talent. That allows you to ride them on the upswing during their playing careers, before dumping them in their late primes by either trading or waiving, just before they start to slip.

To me, the teams that are best able to work their rosters in this fashion are the ones best able to stay competitive year in and year out.

Archived