Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marcus Washington better than LaVar Arrington NOT

DaSkinzBaby

I have read so many posts here bashing LA and people here thinking that MW is better than LA. Why is that? MW from what I have seen and read wasn't that highly touted in Indianapolis so why is it now he is the next Wilber Marshall? MW has 1 pro bowl compared to LA's 3. I really want to see LA at 100% and I also wonder if people will turn on MW if he gets hurt as LA has been. I also don't recall him having any hits like what LA has had or is capible of having. IMHO a healthy LA is stronger, faster and simply more gifted that MW. So please post some inteligent insight so we can discuss this.

HTTR :point2sky

MW from what I have seen and read wasn't that highly touted in Indianapolis so why is it now he is the next Wilber Marshall?

He was highly-touted in Indy. They couldn't afford to keep him because of Manning's absurd contract. He became a casualty of it. Bad for them, good for us.

Better athlete than LaVar? No. Better LB than LaVar? He certainly has been.

both of the lat two seasons MW has had have been better than any of Lavar's seasons, it is true that he does have more pro bowls but that is not the only barometer of a players ability, he may not have the explosiveness that Lavar has, but he has a much higher football IQ, I am not bashing Lavar, I love Lavar, but i think hae has to be paid less, to make 12 mil this season you need to be the BEST player in the NFL at your position, and i dont think anybody would argue that he is that good, MW has played like one of the top LBs in the NFL the last two years

mw is a great system guy, LA probably has more physical talent. if he stays, which i hope he does, i think lavar will be closer to mw production next season.

Pretty much beat me too it. People are down on LA because of his last two seasons. People completely ignore the whole body of work. LA has had flashes of brilliance and brain farts. This season though was actually one of his best. It may not have shown up in the stats but he played a role this season and he actually played it pretty well. He was rarely used in blitzes so that is why no sacks. He stopped the bleeding on the weak side once he was healthy enough to play.

In his final interview of the season he noted how Dale Lindsey has made him a much better football player. He now has continuity, he knows the core of this team is not going to turnover next year. He loves the family atmosphere. This is where he wants to be, I think he will work with the organization to get the business end of things together, he will work on his football and physical state and come back one hell of a linebacker next season. Instead of talking about how MW is better wouldn't it be nice to talk about how good they both could be together?

MW > LA. What have you done for me lately?

It's hard to be a force on one wheel there buddy. But the games he played in he has had just as good stats. Both of them disappeared in the Seattle game but both had great games against Tampa. I am starting to think that MW is more intelligent than LA but I hope LA stays and gets the system and we all will probably see LA and MW in the pro bowl next year. MW needs that killer instinct that LA has. Anyone remember that hit he put on Vick in preseason a few years ago?

Ok im a big LA fan, but come on, MW has more than proved his worth. As an overall LB right now, hes the better one. Lets not be bashing our other LB's because we like one or the other, lets just talk about how currently we have 3 great LBs who make plays.

and D-fence, he doesnt make 12 mill this season. He counts 12 mill this season against the cap if we cut him. Otherwise I believe he is set to make about 650k base salary, with about 6.5 million in incentives(roster bonus in this case I believe).

mw is a great system guy, LA probably has more physical talent. if he stays, which i hope he does, i think lavar will be closer to mw production next season.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Marcus is THE total team player, he is given an assignment and follows through on it. As much as the coaches wanted to blame the lack of Lavars playing time on injury, It's been said by inside sources that the real reason is because he doesnt always do as he's told. No question Lavar has more god given ability, his head prevents him from being a Marcus Washington type 'LEADER'.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Marcus is THE total team player, he is given an assignment and follows through on it. As much as the coaches wanted to blame the lack of Lavars playing time on injury, It's been said by inside sources that the real reason is because he doesnt always do as he's told. No question Lavar has more god given ability, his head prevents him from being a Marcus Washington type 'LEADER'.

Can you show me the inside sources that said that THIS SEASON?

Do we really need to bash MW in order to praise LA? I like LA but MW reminds me of less flashy, steady LB's of Gibbs I - Monte Coleman, Neil Olkewicz (sp?), etc. MW doesn't grab the spotlight but he's almost never out of position, seems to be in or around the football on every play, has made a number of big plays at opportune moments. Can the same be said of LA (since MW has been here)? I like Lavar and hope he continues to progress but there's no need to bash Mw in the process.

I have read so many posts here bashing LA and people here thinking that MW is better than LA. Why is that? MW from what I have seen and read wasn't that highly touted in Indianapolis so why is it now he is the next Wilber Marshall? MW has 1 pro bowl compared to LA's 3. I really want to see LA at 100% and I also wonder if people will turn on MW if he gets hurt as LA has been. I also don't recall him having any hits like what LA has had or is capible of having. IMHO a healthy LA is stronger, faster and simply more gifted that MW. So please post some inteligent insight so we can discuss this.

Physical talent isn't the end of the argument. Arrington is one of my favorites and I've never bashed him but IMO, Marcus Washington is the best player on the entire TEAM but that is debatable. Opponents can't run on his side or he'll swallow them up. He makes plays all over the place and hasn't missed a game. If we somehow lost him our defense might go into a tail spin. Without Arrington, the defense has flourished. With a healthy LaVar back we will be even better.

They're both great players. Why are we bashing or ranking either one of them? They both have come to the Redskins table over the course of their tenure with the team, and have been better assets than liabilities.

Let's stop all the "XXX better than YYY?" stuff when both X and Y are currently Redskins. I've got no problem with comparing a Skin to somebody else in the league to justify their credibility, and none with comparing two outsiders to see who we might want more. But why throw a frag grenade into our own locker room? If they're here and working hard, supporting the team, why pit them against teammates?

He is not better, but folks just want to hate a player that is popular. That's all it is, nothing more. Along with the organization trying to "make" MW the face of the defense.

In coming to the skins, MW expressed a want to be able to play every down. Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs said o.k.(From Washington Times)Therefore knowing that they were already going to try and get rid of Lavar, because we all know that in GW system, that weak side LB comes out on 3rd downs. It's funny how LA will have just about the same stats as all the other LB's but plays about half the downs in a game. He is never in on 2 minute drives, or hardly any 3rd downs.

MW jumps up and down and does all that stuff before the play, that's cool, nothing wrong with that, but if you do all that don't miss the tackle or get blocked out of the picture as I have seen from my perch at FED EX field. I like both of them, it's just a shame how a lot of us think that we can only have one or the other. Especially this organization. I am very interested to see how this off-season stuff turns out.

Did any one else know that Chris Samuels counts 10 million against the cap this year??? I wonder if he got hurt last year would folks dog him out, and have him on the cut list this year as well.

Truly if I were Arrington (and I know I'm not) but I would think really hard about wanting to come back to this organization, sure he might have said some things that were not wonderful, but not once did I see him say anything that was not true. Nothing more or less then a player that knows he can get a job done, but not getting the chance to. As I've said before, he has handled this a heck of a whole lot better than probably 90 percent of us would, including me!!!

So we can let the dude go, I have a lot of Cowboy fans on the football team I play on that are just waiting for the Redskins to let him go!!!! Do we really want that?!?!?

Lavar will be a ton better this upcoming season than this past. You could tell he was playing at a higher weight than he has ever done, which affects his lateral movement in pass coverage. Having an entire offseason to train is so helpful especially when coming into a new system where you're unsure of what type of training you'll need. I bet he comes lighter, faster, more explosive this upcoming year and earns the paycheck.

Did any one else know that Chris Samuels counts 10 million against the cap this year??? I wonder if he got hurt last year would folks dog him out, and have him on the cut list this year as well.

You obviously haven't been around here much the last 12-18 months, have you?

MW is FAR better in this system- lavar has had a lot of trouble covering and tends to make one flashy play followed by 2 poor plays-0 i noticed quite a few missed tackles by LA this year, uncharacteristic.

You must not have seen the San Diego game.......................Washington was getting toasted the whole game!!!!! Along with a lot of TE's I've seen him face this year!! So come on back. Do we all know who missed the tackle in that Denver game that sprung Bell to the outside, on his way into the endzone???? Watch it and see who goes flying by. Bottom line is, no one is ever going to make every tackle, so don't bash one guy for the same things that the others fall short of also.

The only thing is, is that MW gets much more of an opportunity to make plays then LA. Why?!?!?! The world may never know!!!!

Doesn't this all kind of depend on your definition of "better."

I mean we could sit here and quote stats all day that says such and such about either player. But in the end it boils down to comparing apples and oranges really. They are two different types of line backers and play two very different positions, even though they are both LBs. THey also have different skiill sets that make them very successful in the NFL. It's hard to replace a consistent performer like Washington, but it's also hard to find guys that can make plays the way Lavar does. In the end the Skins need both and together they are the start of one heckuva defense...

Archived