Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something that I haven't seen mentioned about the Saunders hiring.

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Here's something that I haven't seen mentioned--Im a bit confused about this. I know that the offense in KC was great. But our offense would be great, soon, when we solidify our recieving core. Heck Welcome aboard Al, but I just don't know why we hired him. I guess its always nice to have great minds on the team. What do I know that is why the FO gets the big bucks.

Here's something that I haven't seen mentioned--Im a bit confused about this. I know that the offense in KC was great. But our offense would be great, soon, when we solidify our recieving core. Heck Welcome aboard Al, but I just don't know why we hired him. I guess its always nice to have great minds on the team. What do I know that is why the FO gets the big bucks.

Yeah. A buddy and I had a discussion on this topic last night. He was saying that this hire is an admission by Gibbs that the game has passed him by and that even if we win the SB, critics will discredit Gibbs and give more praise to the coaching staff than anything else. Kind of hard to argue with at this point. But it is what is IMO and thats a great move.

Has anybody noticed that we must really like stealing personnel from Herm Edwards. Where ever he goes we're going to follow and take his best players/coaches away from him. I'm sure Herm hates us by now. :laugh:

Yes this is interesting, but in the Washington Post it seemed as if he wasn't going to keep him. He mentioned that he likes continuity and Al Saunders is always going to have head coaching opportunities.

I thought this was a stupid comment because it is obvious that he is not getting the best assistants because they don't always have HC'ing opportunities. This is why he hasn't won a super bowl. Not that Herman isn't a good coach, because he is. However his post season record is not very good.

Yeah. A buddy and I had a discussion on this topic last night. He was saying that this hire is an admission by Gibbs that the game has passed him by and that even if we win the SB, critics will discredit Gibbs and give more praise to the coaching staff than anything else. Kind of hard to argue with at this point. But it is what is IMO and thats a great move.

Game has passed him by? We don't get to the playoffs and win a game if the game has passed Gibbs by.

Gibbs was smart enough to see we needed some fresh ideas. Did the game pass Vermeil by when he hired Saunders as OC and then won a Superbowl?

Did the game pass Parcells by when he hired Sean Payton as offensive coordinator (ok, maybe it did :laugh: just kidding)

I do believe that it is an admission by Gibbs that he cannot keep up with the same pace of coaching that he is used to. He is not young anymore, but he obviously still loves coaching. He appears to be slowly turning into a GM.

Game has passed him by? We don't get to the playoffs and win a game if the game has passed Gibbs by.

Gibbs was smart enough to see we needed some fresh ideas.

Agreed. If this crew takes us to the SB, it will first be because of Coach Gibbs. Who put this team and staff together? Gibbs did. Just because he isn't calling every play doesn't mean that the game has passed him by. When did the Redskins really catch fire this year? It was when Gibbs scrapped the newfangled stuff that wasn't working and went back to the type of gameplan that made him successful in his first tenure.

Coach Gibbs has that rare combination of traits that make people successful: the wisdom to know when you need some extra help, and the lack of ego to actually go out and get that help.

He went into NASCAR and within two years had put together a winning team. He came back to football and within two years has turned around our beloved franchise and has made them winners again, and is still building. Coach Gibbs knows how to win.

Some sportswriters might end up saying within the next couple of years that it was Gibbs' staff but not Gibbs who made the Redskins SB winners again. But that failure to see the big picture is the reason why those guys are just sportswriters, instead of coaches with 3+ SB wins.

Yes this is interesting, but in the Washington Post it seemed as if he wasn't going to keep him. He mentioned that he likes continuity and Al Saunders is always going to have head coaching opportunities.

I thought this was a stupid comment because it is obvious that he is not getting the best assistants because they don't always have HC'ing opportunities. This is why he hasn't won a super bowl. Not that Herman isn't a good coach, because he is. However his post season record is not very good.

When will people learn? Tell your buddy that the hallmark of Joe Gibbs talents are his ability to manage people and to get them to work together. It's not his offensive schemes or playcalling (although he's certainly talented there).

Everywhere he's gone he's hired good people and let them do their jobs. His coaching staffs have always been all-star casts who have been NFL lifers and often considered multiple times for NFL head coaching jobs. Dan Henning, Joe Bugel, Jim Hanifan, Gregg Williams, Greg Blache, Dale Lindsay, Don Breaux, etc. I'm not a NASCAR fan but from everything I've read he did the same thing there.

There's a word for this that people may think is ironic: humility. Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach but he also realizes that he can't do everything and doesn't know everything. His ability to delegate but still be involved is second to none.

The hiring of Al Saunders is just the latest example of this.

remember earlier in the season when Gibbs noted that he and Vermeil are good friends and talk to one another on almost a weekly basis? there is obviously other things behind this.....

Good memory. I'm sure there's something to this.

The old guys gotta stick together! :laugh:

The assistant coaches have become much more magnified now as opposed to Gibbs first go round. He had good assistants during the three Super Bowl seasons. That's what makes him good. It's a team game. That's why you have coaching trees from succesful Head coaches.

I think its more like stealing a good OC from Philladelphia or Dallas.

Such a chess match, football is.

Man, I thought the exact same thing. What were the Eagles and Dallas waiting for? I guess we'll find out soon enough. Andy Reid must be extremely confident that he himself can continue to run the offense.

Archived