Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders "guys" and his role in player additions

MIKEWINK44

Current Chiefs free agents. Obviously this doesn't speak to the players that he's coached in the past and their availability.

http://www.chiefswarpath.com/2006season/freeagents.htm

Unrestricted Free Agents

Pos. Name Status

DE Carlos Hall ---

QB Damon Huard ---

CB Dewayne Washington ---

TE Kendall Gammon ---

DT Lional Dalton ---

WR Marc Boerigter ---

QB Todd Collins ---

FB Tony Richardson ---

Restricted Free Agents

Pos. Name Status

WR Chris Horn ---

DE Jimmy Wilkerson ---

T Jordan Black ---

I'm hoping he is as good at recruiting his types of players as Gregg Williams has been the last couple of years. Because he is amazing at finding unwanted talent and fitting them into his defensive system and finding their strengths.

This is probably the most overlooked part of Gregg Williams strengths and a big reason in why he will be a great coach after Gibbs. He has also mentioned that he has learned quite a bit as an assistant under Gibbs and will not make the mistakes that he made in Buffalo.

Anyway, I'm getting off track....hopefully Saunders has the same eye for talent that Gregg Williams has.

Mark Boerighter could compete for the #2 spot. He's had his ups and downs over the years but he knows the system and could help teach it to the others while possibly compete for a starting job and thrive under Joe Gibbs.

He's actually more of a role-playing #3 in the mold of Joe Jurevicious. But I agree, he might be interesting.

He's actually more of a role-playing #3 in the mold of Joe Jurevicious. But I agree, he might be interesting.

Well Jurevicius played the #3 role in New York (Toomer/Hilliard) and in Tampa (Johnson/ McCardell) but emerged this year as a go-to guy in Seattle, being the #1 receiver for most of the season prior to Darrell Jackson and Bobby Engram's return, and he scored 10 TD's in the process.

It's not like I'm hoping Boerighter signs here and pulls a Jurevicius 2005 or anything...;)

I'm less focused on what players Saunders might want to try to bring aboard than I am what assistants he might have wanted to bring given the chance. I've not read every article about this yet, but my understanding from what I have is that it's Saunders and Saunders only. Williams had the benefit of building his assistant staff to suit, bringing in guys familiar with him and his system. Saunders doesn't appear to have that luxury.

That's not to say that the existing offensive staff aren't eminently qualified, just that it may be unfair to automatically project that Saunders can have as immediate and dramatic effect on his side of the ball as Williams had on his.

We'll hear a lot more about that over the coming months, obviously. It will be interesting to find out just how the offensive brain trust will be configured, and exactly what Saunders' role and ultimate impact is going to be.

I'm less focused on what players Saunders might want to try to bring aboard than I am what assistants he might have wanted to bring given the chance. I've not read every article about this yet, but my understanding from what I have is that it's Saunders and Saunders only. Williams had the benefit of building his assistant staff to suit, bringing in guys familiar with him and his system. Saunders doesn't appear to have that luxury.

That's not to say that the existing offensive staff aren't eminently qualified, just that it may be unfair to automatically project that Saunders can have as immediate and dramatic effect on his side of the ball as Williams had on his.

We'll hear a lot more about that over the coming months, obviously. It will be interesting to find out just how the offensive brain trust will be configured, and exactly what Saunders' role and ultimate impact is going to be.

On the other hand, the hiring of Bill Musgrave (together with Brunell's improved health) certainly had a noticeable effect on the offense.

To me, Saunders was hired for one primary thing: playcalling. Our playcalling was very vanilla. It's the one area that Gibbs hasn't improved since returning as much as I would have liked to see. Our offense has been very risk averse and conservative, less so this year than last, but still. For example, while Moss had a phenomenal year, I still thought we didn't try to throw deep to him enough given his amazing talents at adjusting to the ball in the air.

Saunders was brought in to buttress that area IMHO.

Pretty thin crop there - I was hoping for one of their OL. :D

I guess we'll see if he thinks Todd Collins is some kind of diamond in the rough...

Actually, I'd like to pick up Carlos Hall if he's not too expensive.

if only Will Shields was younger and a free agent...

IMO

We went from 30th to 11th overall in offense from yr 1 to yr 2.

Somehow, I doubt Saunders is being brought in to change anything significantly when it comes to how the offense is run.

We however now have 2 very contrasting styles of offense for Coach Gibbs to blend into his own.

To me, its not coach's playcalling that is the problem. Yes I am sure everybody has issues at various times in the season when they thought we should of ziged when we zagged, but that is 20/20 hindsight. Everyone has that luxary.

I think Saunders is here to bring another dimension to the offense that Coach Gibbs felt was lacking and he wanted someone with extensive experience to be able to bring that knowledge to the staff. What is that dimension? Absolutely no clue. Could be anything from passing to running to screens. Who knows what he was truely brought in for besides what they will mention during the press conference. In the end though, it doesn't matter. Saunders is here to make us better and I think he will do that just that.

Make no bones about it though, Coach Gibbs is still the offensive genius on this staff and he will run his offense. He is not going to change after such a brilliant year of creating 2 guys who broke team records. He is simply learning a new flavor that he can add to his stew pot. Just to make it that much better.

Archived