Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 5 Worst Things We Could Do This Offseason

rvan1

Lemme start by saying that im only including things that may actually occur, not ridiculous "Cut clinton portis" type moves.

2. Let LaVar Go: He really is the heart of our defense. People may argue that he is overpaid and overvalued, but there is no substitute for a locker room leader that teams rally behind.

There was a time last year when I wouldn't have agreed with you, in part. I felt that Lavar was baggage. But I've had sympahty for him in recent weeks. He's really humbled himself and I really believe he wants to stay with this team. I hope they keep him.

I don't agree that he's the "heart" of our defense, however. You'd have to look at a guy like Marcus Washington, I think, for that label, or maybe even Philip Daniels. They are the guys that made the impact plays week in and week out here.

Lavar had one big play in the Bucs game (and it was a BIG play), (EDIT: and the Hawks game) but he's not the heart of this defense. Not at this point.

The worst thing we could do this off season is to follow the advice of most of the "fans" on this board. If th Skins had followed the "fans" advice last year we would not have Moss, Brunell, most of the special teams players like Jimoh, Bowen, Thrash, Prioleau, Betts, Royal, and would have not benn in the playoffs. You all want the fantasy type player, not the Gibbs blue collar type player.

The worst thing we could do this off season is to follow the advice of most of the "fans" on this board. If th Skins had followed the "fans" advice last year we would not have Moss, Brunell, most of the special teams players like Jimoh, Bowen, Thrash, Prioleau, Betts, Royal, and would have not benn in the playoffs. You all want the fantasy type player, not the Gibbs blue collar type player.

i think we could have not had every single player in your list, with the exception of brunell and moss, and made the playoffs.

3. Trade Draft Picks for Players: Unless we are on the good end of an unbelievable deal. Great teams build on draft picks, which is what we are in the process of doing (hello Carlos Rogers, ST, Cooley, hopefully Jason Campbell...).

You're aware the Pats have 23 free agents on their roster? Last I checked, they're pretty good, and pretty consistent.

what is needed is a healthy mix. Trading a pick for a proven player who is still young (3 to 5 years under his belt) is a fine idea in my book.

draft picks are nice... when they work out. If you can move a 3rd or 4th and get a proven player in his prime, you basically are drafting young players with experience. (We traded a fifth rounder for Thrash, for example, oh man was that a deal, if only for his special teams play. Last year he basically won the Detroit game with his punt coverage.)

One of the best things Gibbs has always been able to do is get the most out of players that others can't. When i say trade for proven players, they don't have to be superstars requiring a first round pick to be successful under Gibbs.

to use a player as an example of a guy who Gibbs gets the most out of, look at Mike Sellers and ask yourself had Gibbs not signed him, would he have even been in the league last year? He wasn't in 2004,, played in Canada.

(I know we didn't trade for him, but he's a great example of a guy everyone overlooked playing like a champion under Gibbs.)

~Bang

Lemme start by saying that im only including things that may actually occur, not ridiculous "Cut clinton portis" type moves.

5. Fail to aquire a 2nd WR: This is the obvious one, we all know it to be true.

4. Keep Walt Harris: His cap value and his on the field value are polar opposites. With the space he is taking up in the cap, the Redskins could aquire a top-tiered DB free agent if they so choose (not implying that they will, just stating that Walt isnt close to his salary cap cost as he costs more than a free agent would.)

3. Trade Draft Picks for Players: Unless we are on the good end of an unbelievable deal. Great teams build on draft picks, which is what we are in the process of doing (hello Carlos Rogers, ST, Cooley, hopefully Jason Campbell...). Keep building and grooming young talent. If they do so, the Redskins could be in for years, rather than seasons of success. My proof? Look at what happened to team chemistry following our '99 appearance when we went hog wild in free agency (even though we drafted Samuels and Arrington that year, the Redskins were a team of castoffs and big names).

2. Let LaVar Go: He really is the heart of our defense. People may argue that he is overpaid and overvalued, but there is no substitute for a locker room leader that teams rally behind.

1. Acquire T.O.: There's already a thread about this with opinions, so I wont get too far into it, other than he's the last thing that any developing team needs. Think of him as steroids for the human body. While teams use him as a quick fix, he will ruin anything he touches in the long run.

I'm with you 100% :cheers:

heart as in leadership. MW is probably the better player at this point, but how many 53 jerseys do you see in the stands compared to the 56s?

all money being equal i would like to keep Lavar. that being said, Marcus calls the D on the field and IS the leader of the squad.

When it comes to lists, this has to be one of the best. Fantastic list, hit it all right on the head. Dont trade draft picks, harris isnt worth it, we need a second WR, LaVar is important to the team(though how important based on his salary people will argue), and hell no, T.O.

This is funny. I agree with the person about not listening to the fans. I am all for everyone having their own opinion, but just last offseason, people were upset in here about the player choices Gibbs made, then at the end of the season, everyone was praising those same players. We do not need to sign any big name free agents, they are the reason we are in such cap trouble (with the exception that LaVar's salary is also in there). There are ALOT of unsung hero's in FA this year, and ALOT of good rookie prospects. The biggest person I think we should let go of is Walt Harris, he is THE WORST DB I have seen on the skins since before they won the SB. I don't understand why he is still in the NFL. The #1 worst thing the skins can do in the offseason is make poor player decisions with main focus of that being on their salary. So many young players are willing to take whatever they can get to have the chance to make a name for themselves, and under Gibbs/Williams/Saunders, they will get that chance. Get the young guys who won't cost as much and watch us thrash our oppenents.

5. Fail to aquire a 2nd WR: This is the obvious one, we all know it to be true.

4. Keep Walt Harris: His cap value and his on the field value are polar opposites. With the space he is taking up in the cap, the Redskins could aquire a top-tiered DB free agent if they so choose (not implying that they will, just stating that Walt isnt close to his salary cap cost as he costs more than a free agent would.)

3. Trade Draft Picks for Players: Unless we are on the good end of an unbelievable deal. Great teams build on draft picks, which is what we are in the process of doing (hello Carlos Rogers, ST, Cooley, hopefully Jason Campbell...). Keep building and grooming young talent. If they do so, the Redskins could be in for years, rather than seasons of success. My proof? Look at what happened to team chemistry following our '99 appearance when we went hog wild in free agency (even though we drafted Samuels and Arrington that year, the Redskins were a team of castoffs and big names).

1. Acquire T.O.: There's already a thread about this with opinions, so I wont get too far into it, other than he's the last thing that any developing team needs. Think of him as steroids for the human body. While teams use him as a quick fix, he will ruin anything he touches in the long run.

Lavar is no longer the 'Heart' of our defense dude. Yea, our players like him but someone who doesnt play the first 6 games of the season is not the heart of anything.. I like Lavar but if we cant restructure his deal I say we let him go, way too much money and Greg Williams can find a guy other than Holdman to fill the gap.

Not resigning Ryan Clark would suck. He's a stud.

I don't think we should sign a big named free agent DE. I really hope we draft one at some point though, even though the Skins are genetically predisposed to not draft DE's.

I like Ryan Clark and everything, but has anyone else noticed he gets stiff-armed on huge plays. Thats even worse than missing the tackles altogether. He needs to work on that. Other than that, he is a stud.

5: trade Ramsey and start Brunell. I trully think we should keep Ramsey and have a 3 way competion in camp for the QB spot, also including Campbell in the mix.

4: Not use our #2 pick for a DE and the next two picks on OL, especially guards. We have Buges and having a couple of young OL to learn from him will pay huge dividends in the future.

3: Not sign Clark. He proved he belongs in this D. Not give Antonio Brown another chance at WR, especially with our new OC, he can be our Dante Hall.

2: Keep Betts and lose Rock. IMO I would try to trade Betts to the Jets since they need a running back for a 3rd and use that pick for CB prospect. Rock IMO proved he can run between the tackles and bounce it to the outside better than Betts. And if we need a bruising back we go Nemo.

1: Cut Lavar. I think that would be the biggest mistake. I think this year taught him alot and he comes back next year healthy, lighter by 10 LBS and ready to take off some heads. The alternative is Holdman where we can all agree his a little more than a moving chair.

Not drafting a cornerstone DE would be a huge mistake.

I also don't like the idea of Pierson Prioleau backing up Sean Taylor. It frightens me. oh yeah, cut Harris.

Why? Anytime he's been in the game this year he's been great. I have no worries with Prioleau

5: trade Ramsey and start Brunell. I trully think we should keep Ramsey and have a 3 way competion in camp for the QB spot, also including Campbell in the mix.

4: Not use our #2 pick for a DE and the next two picks on OL, especially guards. We have Buges and having a couple of young OL to learn from him will pay huge dividends in the future.

3: Not sign Clark. He proved he belongs in this D. Not give Antonio Brown another chance at WR, especially with our new OC, he can be our Dante Hall.

2: Keep Betts and lose Rock. IMO I would try to trade Betts to the Jets since they need a running back for a 3rd and use that pick for CB prospect. Rock IMO proved he can run between the tackles and bounce it to the outside better than Betts. And if we need a bruising back we go Nemo.

1: Cut Lavar. I think that would be the biggest mistake. I think this year taught him alot and he comes back next year healthy, lighter by 10 LBS and ready to take off some heads. The alternative is Holdman where we can all agree his a little more than a moving chair.

Agreed on all points. I'd also add that we need new kicker and punter

Archived