Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 5 Worst Things We Could Do This Offseason

rvan1

Lemme start by saying that im only including things that may actually occur, not ridiculous "Cut clinton portis" type moves.

5. Fail to aquire a 2nd WR: This is the obvious one, we all know it to be true.

4. Keep Walt Harris: His cap value and his on the field value are polar opposites. With the space he is taking up in the cap, the Redskins could aquire a top-tiered DB free agent if they so choose (not implying that they will, just stating that Walt isnt close to his salary cap cost as he costs more than a free agent would.)

3. Trade Draft Picks for Players: Unless we are on the good end of an unbelievable deal. Great teams build on draft picks, which is what we are in the process of doing (hello Carlos Rogers, ST, Cooley, hopefully Jason Campbell...). Keep building and grooming young talent. If they do so, the Redskins could be in for years, rather than seasons of success. My proof? Look at what happened to team chemistry following our '99 appearance when we went hog wild in free agency (even though we drafted Samuels and Arrington that year, the Redskins were a team of castoffs and big names).

2. Let LaVar Go: He really is the heart of our defense. People may argue that he is overpaid and overvalued, but there is no substitute for a locker room leader that teams rally behind.

1. Acquire T.O.: There's already a thread about this with opinions, so I wont get too far into it, other than he's the last thing that any developing team needs. Think of him as steroids for the human body. While teams use him as a quick fix, he will ruin anything he touches in the long run.

Haha, the FIRST thing I thought when I opened this thread and before I read your post was "Cut Clinton Portis".

So, ummm.. what about cutting Santana Moss?

Just kidding. How about, not signing some DE help?

ya know i was thinking about that, but i really think our DEs stepped it up to the point where i wouldnt be upset if they started the same crew next season. with that said, i wouldnt mind a big aquisition either, as long as it doesnt come at a big price.

Not resigning Ryan Clark would suck. He's a stud.

I don't think we should sign a big named free agent DE. I really hope we draft one at some point though, even though the Skins are genetically predisposed to not draft DE's.

Completely agree and he wont be too pricey, he's a product of Williams!

Haha, the FIRST thing I thought when I opened this thread and before I read your post was "Cut Clinton Portis".

So, ummm.. what about cutting Santana Moss?

Just kidding. How about, not signing some DE help?

:laugh: Some people need a tv in there cave lol, Joe Gibbs and all the coaches stressed getting good recievers, naming Portis to the core of the team and after Gibbs has proven what he can do in only 2 years, people still act like he doesnt know what he needs :doh:

Not resigning Ryan Clark would suck. He's a stud.

I don't think we should sign a big named free agent DE. I really hope we draft one at some point though, even though the Skins are genetically predisposed to not draft DE's.

ryan clark's resigning is certainly up there, but on the same token, i would be really excited with another S draft (namely, KO Simpson from south carolina... his first name explains it all)

Although, last years wouldve been something like:

5. keep mark brunell

4. not resign antonio pierce

3. trade laveranues coles

2. not resign fred smoot

1. not draft mike williams or pac man

and this year turned out pretty well... :)

heart as in leadership. MW is probably the better player at this point, but how many 53 jerseys do you see in the stands compared to the 56s?

What does that have to do with heart and leadership? It has to do with two things, popularity and marketing.

From all reports I have seen and read Marcus Washington is the leader on the field and in the locker room with Jansen and Portis holding the mantle on the other side of the ball.

What does that have to do with heart and leadership? It has to do with two things, popularity and marketing.

From all reports I have seen and read Marcus Washington is the leader on the field and in the locker room with Jansen and Portis holding the mantle on the other side of the ball.

Not to mention, Lavar has been a Redskin for 3 more years than Marcus. People hold on to jerseys. Heck, some people still wear Gardner and Coles jerseys.

yeah but lavar is undeniably popular in the locker room. after his first real game against SF, did you see how everyone on D rallied around him?

and the redskins could market walt harris for ten years, but that wont mean id buy his jersey.

Lavar has great heart, but please, he's NOT the heart of the defense. Griffin is our Defensive MVP. Our defensive core is Griffin, Washington, Springs, and Taylor. Rogers will crack that tier before Lavar.

I'd love to keep Lavar, but I think our big run is going to be in 2007 when Campbell has some seasoning. We won't make it though if we're mired down with Arrington's cap numbers.

Lavar has great heart, but please, he's NOT the heart of the defense. Griffin is our Defensive MVP. Our defensive core is Griffin, Washington, Springs, and Taylor. Rogers will crack that tier before Lavar.

I'd love to keep Lavar, but I think our big run is going to be in 2007 when Campbell has some seasoning. We won't make it though if we're mired down with Arrington's cap numbers.

once again let me say that im not referring to performance, but to locker room intensity and player support.

I disagree with some of your post. First of all LaVar is not the heart of this defense anymore. Marcus Washington is. I do want to keep him, though. His attitude of late is impressive and his willingness to redo his deal even better.

Second, so what if we give up some draft picks for the chance at a first round pick or a solid free agent player? I used to hate the idea but Gibbs has a knack for finding what he needs even if it appears we overpaid for it or gave up too many picks.

ryan clark's resigning is certainly up there, but on the same token, i would be really excited with another S draft (namely, KO Simpson from south carolina... his first name explains it all)

this may become even more important with ST's trial pending...i don't have a good feeling about that :(

Archived