Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whitlock Blames Portis for Skins' Demise

stwasm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060119

Clinton Portis -- not Mark Brunell -- is the main reason Washington's offense failed to produce in the playoffs.

Portis ran out of juice late in the season, and should've been spelled more frequently by backup Ladell Betts. Portis ran the ball 33 times for 94 yards in Washington's two playoff contests. He averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Out of steam, he ran soft and with poor vision.

Betts is one of the league's better backup tailbacks. He has the size and toughness to run inside. The Redskins have a power running game. Portis, who is a bit undersized, simply lacked the power to make plays down the stretch.

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post. If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement.

Didn't I put the link at the beginning of the article? I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.

It's not like Portis was injured or anything, with both shoulders completely ****ed up. It's not like one arm was completely numb. It's not like he had a stinger. It's not like Portis carried the team to the playoffs with 5 consecutive 100 yard games, either. :doh:

And to say Portis is soft? I just have to laugh at that one. Idiot.

To blame Portis and call him soft is assinine.

Having said that, the idea of spelling Portis some may not be a horrible idea.

Ladell Betts

@St. Louis DNP injured (Rock Cartwright 9-118)

@Arizona 5-6

Dallas 12-44

NY Giants 13-36

Philadelphia 5-30

Portis did not have 30 carries in any single game this year. Portis was spelled plenty. In the first 7 weeks of the season he averaged 1 carries a game. The final 11 weeks, including playoffs, he averaged 23 carries a game. For the season he averaged 22 carries a game. The Skins averaged 33 carries a game as a team, meaning that someone other than Portis carried it on average 11 times a game. He was spelled plenty.

Its not like he is that wrong, just taking the wrong stance to it.

Had Clinto Portis been spelled more often by Betts, he MIGHT have been fresher.

Clinton got us into the playoffs, noboddy can disagree.

Clinton didn't show up once we were in the playoffs(I know he was injured, and probably worn down too). I am not blaming it on Clinton, he was phenominal this year and I would have no other back on my team.

I believe next year Clinton will be fresher for our playoff run and will probably bulk up some more this season to be able to handle more of the load.

On the other hand Mark Brunell looked like total garbage since the Giants game(same as 2004) when he was hurt. Only TD pass he threw bounced off of a Seahawk...

Portis did not have 30 carries in any single game this year. Portis was spelled plenty. In the first 7 weeks of the season he averaged 1 carries a game. The final 11 weeks, including playoffs, he averaged 23 carries a game. For the season he averaged 22 carries a game. The Skins averaged 33 carries a game as a team, meaning that someone other than Portis carried it on average 11 times a game. He was spelled plenty.

Personally my OPINION is that Clinton should average 20 carries per game, averaging 22 carries is like playing an extra game and having 32 carries in that extra game. We had a VERY early bye week that didn't allow us to get very healthy down the stretch, that may have had a bigger role then most think in us not being that fresh.

Clinton was a workhorse this year. Only Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, and Edgerrin James had more carries. I bet its hard to find a RB with more carries over the last 5 games of the season. Clinton is the man.

Hopefully with a better team around him this year he can average that 20 carries per game mark and be a tad fresher(healthier) in the playoffs.

Ladell Betts

@St. Louis DNP injured (Rock Cartwright 9-118)

@Arizona 5-6

Dallas 12-44

NY Giants 13-36

Philadelphia 5-30

exactly, he was injured more than tired

Yea remember them gaping holes Portis didnt run through against Tampa and Seattle? Neither do I because there wasnt any gaping holes, there wasnt even any good blocking since Thomas went down. The yards Portis got was all Portis, give the man a seem to run through and the games would have been a different story.

By the way, he still out rushed williams and alexander, I guess there a bust too.

exactly, both mentally and physically exhausted

I think Whitlock is basically stating the obvious. I think Clinton had way, way too many carries this year for a back his size. Heck, it was too many for a back of any size probably.

But, on the other hand, if he doesn't get that many carries, the Skins miss the playoffs.

The obvious jumping off point is that our offense was too reliant on two people. It was nothing but Portis and Moss for most of the year. Cooley played well in spurts but there was way too much pressure on those two playmakers.

Archived