Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

weapon for home protection?

Air Force Cane

the thread by sunstone on katanas and home breakins has me thinking. I am proficient with pistols and rifles, belong to a gun club.

but I have always been very leery about having one in the household for safety reasons. I live in a condo building on the 9th floor, so don't really have to worry about breakins.

but once you have a house, do you have weapons at home?

Absolutely. The police are responsible for catching perpetrators after crimes have been committed. Surely if they arrive to a scene in which a crime is in progress they will protect you, but how often does that happen?

As long as you abide by basic safety guidelines having a gun in your home is completely safe.

strange place america we dont have the level of violence you seem to have glad i live in england

Actually you're quite wrong about that. Since banning guns your violent crime rates have zoomed past ours. Lets look at it from the mind of a criminal shall we.....

"Should I attempt to attack someone where it is illegal to own a weapon they may use to defend themselves against me? Or should I attempt to attack someone where they are completely within their rights to blow me away in an act of self-defense."

Criminals don't obtain guns legally. Pretty easy to undestand why gun control laws don't work. All they do is take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

You should have a .357 Magnum. It has the best stopping power. Any lower the perp could still come after you because of the lack of impact. Any higher the perp either ends up all over the place or doesn't feel it because it is such a high calibur. I also have a Katana, and a Lee-Enfield .303, but the .357 is the best protection piece you can get.

You should have a .357 Magnum. It has the best stopping power. Any lower the perp could still come after you because of the lack of impact. Any higher the perp either ends up all over the place or doesn't feel it because it is such a high calibur. I also have a Katana, and a Lee-Enfield .303, but the .357 is the best protection piece you can get.

dirtyharry1.jpg

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

http://www.filmsite.org/dirt.html

sorry when ever someone mentions a magnum, it reminds me of dirty harry :laugh: .

-Grant

Actually you're quite wrong about that. Since banning guns your violent crime rates have zoomed past ours. Lets look at it from the mind of a criminal shall we.....

"Should I attempt to attack someone where it is illegal to own a weapon they may use to defend themselves against me? Or should I attempt to attack someone where they are completely within their rights to blow me away in an act of self-defense."

Criminals don't obtain guns legally. Pretty easy to undestand why gun control laws don't work. All they do is take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

glad to see your opinion you could be wrong you could be right

Don't know how it is in MD but in VA, the rule is: Assuming there is a "perceived threat," If they come on your property, you may shoot to maim, if they come into your house you may shoot to kill, only after warning them though. heh heh heh "Stop or Else", BANG!!!!!

dirtyharry1.jpg

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

http://www.filmsite.org/dirt.html

-Grant

Dirty Harry may have the most powerful handgun (which it is not the Desert Eagle .50 is) but the .357 still has the best Stopping power, a whole different story

glad to see your opinion you could be wrong you could be right

Well, no, he's actually quite right.

Other than murder/attempted murder, England and places like Wales surpass our crime rates (that includes rapes, by the way.) In fact, the UK IIRC, was recently named the crime capital of the developed world. Of course, the US tops them in murders, but in all other crimes, Britain's lenient criminal justice system (which does not match their cultural history and society like the Swiss' system does) and prosecutions of citizens who dared arm themselves or protect themselves against criminal attacks has insured a commensurate rise in overall crime.

And I'd point out that our murder rate exceeds England's with other forms of weapons, not just firearms. I know people are protective of their home country, but the debate over firearms is one where one side is correct and the other is flat out wrong, from a 'results' orientation and a moral/philosophical one.

Oh, and Britain's home invasion rate is far higher than the US, in large part an increase due to the lack of fear criminals have of breaking into an occupied home.

People will often point to places like Japan, but the cultural history there is so radically different from the West that it makes little sense to look at a place like that statistically.

The USSR banned firearms and we now know that even during the Cold War they had a highER murder rate than the US. Place like Jamaica got MORE violent after virtual bans or heavy regs on ownership of weapons. Same happened in England where traffic in full auto, home-milled and illegal imports has skyrocketed and their incidents of 'gun violence' have increased.

People also point to Switzerland as a counter example, but they also have a different cultural history and attitude towards crime (nearly the opposite of Japan) but they have strong local community bonds and prison sentences are actually quite low except for murder. Japan's total death rate from suicide is extremely high--almost matching our total murder/suicide rate, I believe.

On another note, there are large--HUGE areas of the US that are extremely low in crime, lower than Europe (and some nations in Europe only catalogue arrests or convictions for crime rate, not total reports--the French do this, which allows them to minimize the 'cites' impact on their society.) There are historical and demographic reasons why our murder rates are high, though I imagine an end to the Drug War would cause a precipitous drop in those rates.

http://webplaza.pt.lu/smat/database/News/StoppingPower/Power.htm

Calibur Best AIT

.380 Auto 10.94

.38 special 8.98

9mm Luger 8.90

.357 Magnum 7.34

.40 Auto 7.86

10mm 7.66

.45 Auto 7.98

AIT stands for Average Incapacitation Time(in seconds)

The .357 has the best AIT for nearly every round out there(disregard Federal because they are Full Metal Jackets which travel right through the perp)

well guys certainly provoked a reaction from you greatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

:laugh: It's all good. Like I said, we have PLENTY of our own problems, many of them that could easily be addressed by a more rational drug policy. People are raised in different places to think certain ways (for instance, about government intervention, taxation, defense, self-defense, et al) I know that Britain has some people who think like I do, but there is a relative paucity compared to the US and that's due to a lot of history that can't just be 'undone.'

I don't expect to change anyone overnight, esp someone from a different cultural background with many base assumptions. But maybe over time, reason will prevail? ;)

:laugh: It's all good. Like I said, we have PLENTY of our own problems, many of them that could easily be addressed by a more rational drug policy. People are raised in different places to think certain ways (for instance, about government intervention, taxation, defense, self-defense, et al) I know that Britain has some people who think like I do, but there is a relative paucity compared to the US and that's due to a lot of history that can't just be 'undone.'

I don't expect to change anyone overnight, esp someone from a different cultural background with many base assumptions. But maybe over time, reason will prevail? ;)

Ghost, just out of curiousity, are you an "Elderado?"

like your thought pattern

the crime rate in the UK has been skyrocketing in the last decade. even the police are getting killed now.

not to mention once the Islamic rebellion begins in France and spreads to Surrey. at least in America we don't have to worry about riots in our neighborhoods- when we have civilian snipers on our roofs :cool:

the crime rate in the UK has been skyrocketing in the last decade. even the police are getting killed now.

not to mention once the Islamic rebellion begins in France and spreads to Surrey. at least in America we don't have to worry about riots in our neighborhoods- when we have civilian snipers on our roofs :cool:

and you dont think you will be effected

"The famous 125 grain .357 JHP bullet, the most effective one shot stopper of all handgun loads, penetrates 13.25" in ordinance gelatin and produces a football shaped stretch cavity. This is how the very best bullets perform. And bullet performance has a great effect on stopping power."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/beginners_stopping_power.htm

.357 bullets don't know when to stop. One could easily go into the next house and kill your neighbor's kid. How many of you guys live in houses with vinyl sidding?

A sawed off shotgun with a shortened handle will inflict allot of pain with one shot that doesn't miss. And the intruder will likely live to serve his prison sentence!

Archived