Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here's a good UFA TE candidate.

Sonny Joe Hog

Dan Campbell. He's 6-5, 262 and about 29 years old. He backed up Jason Witten at Dallas this season. This guy is a very good blocker and he has decent hands. I think he could help us.

P.S. Today is my birthday and it was so nice to see the age field on my personal information banner change to 58 this morning (choke, choke, gag). Man, I'm old!

I think we should draft Jeff King out of Virginia Tech. Cooley and Manuel White are H-backs in our offense. That's a different position. Plus, Kozlowski will be fighting to make the team again, doesn't have the best hands.

I LOVE Jeff King as a player! He is a monster who can do it all. I figured him to be a first rounder. Do you think we could get him?

Do you think that a TE is a big concern? I guess Cooley, Royal and Sellers are not enough. Well, I think they are. Perhaps we should devert all of that energy into finding a WR. Just a thought!

Cooley and Sellers are H-Backs. It is a different position. Think Don Warren. Do you see a Don Warren-type blocker at TE on this team?

Is TE a big concern? Well, everything counts. It takes all of the parts to make up the whole. We gave up 31 sacks in the regular season. About average in the NFL. But if we want to go to the Super Bowl, we need to be better than average. Also, we need to improve our short-yardage running game. I believe that we need better blocking at TE to accomplish those things.

Understand that I'm talking about a role player; a blocker. Isn't it reasonable to expect a role player to be excellent at playing his limited role on the team?

Also, we could pick up a WR AND a TE. I don't think that would over work the front office too much.

Cooley and Sellers are H-Backs. It is a different position. Think Don Warren. Do you see a Don Warren-type blocker at TE on this team?

Is TE a big concern? Well, everything counts. It takes all of the parts to make up the whole. We gave up 31 sacks in the regular season. About average in the NFL. But if we want to go to the Super Bowl, we need to be better than average. Also, we need to improve our short-yardage running game. I believe that we need better blocking at TE to accomplish those things.

Understand that I'm talking about a role player; a blocker. Isn't it reasonable to expect a role player to be excellent at playing his limited role on the team?

Also, we could pick up a WR AND a TE. I don't think that would over work the front office too much.

I understand what you are saying and yes your points are valid. :) Do we know that Royal, White and Sellers are not good blockers? Truthfully in my opinion a H-Back is a combination of a full back and a TE, therefore they should be decent to good blockers and they should be able to grid it out and get short yardage. If the case is that they cannot, then perhaps we should rethink all of our H-backs, even Cooley. :rolleyes:

I like Robert Royal and it may be that chemistry guides the team in this case. There is no question though that it wouldn't be awfully difficult to find a more athletic and powerful tight end if we really looked.

Happy Birthday, Brother!

Who says that Sellars and White can't play TE? Sellars had to convert to become an H-back. I think he can convert back. I believe that White was a Fullback in College and now were trying to convert him into an H-Back. Why not try to convert him into a Tight End? We can't make separate positions out of these two. The players have to be interchangable, and if they're not, we need to find guys who are.

We can no longer afford to enter the season with four corners and four wide receivers. This means that we can't have six players at TE and H-Back.

I happen to think that the players we have are sufficient, but I think we can get a better TE. If we were going to get that beast from UMD, I'd be in favor of replacing Royal. Because we're not, I think getting rid of Royal for a player who's only marginally better is a waste of a draft pick and hurts team chemistry because of team turnover and because it seems like Royal is a pretty popular guy among his teammates.

Agreed the Redskins can use a better TE.

The Skins are set up very nicely with Cooley and Sellers at the Half Back slot.

Koz and Royal at TE could be upgraded. Royal has turned into a fair player at TE though nothing special.He is a RFA so we can keep him for a good value. Beyond him there is nothing, Koz is a gonner. If we found a player that could beat out Royal great, if it is better depth thats okay as well. It would be nice if however it is is a strong blocker that also has very good hands. We do not really need a burner there so we should be able to find the right player.

Continuity is a great factor in a teams development!

Good posts Sonny Joe Hog.

I don't know much about the guy from Dallas, but I'd say it's a safe bet that Gibbs will at least look at the TE position. I don't think Royal is as good of a blocker as Gibbs had hoped, and he has had a couple of big drops this year.

It should be pretty obvious by now that Dan is serious about a Superbowl contender, with the hiring of the new offensive coach. Now buy us another super wide receiver to allow Santana to run free! There is no way Brunnel can possibly make it through the entire season and through the playoffs. Let's put a young arm in at QB. The Hell with who won the position. We had better start replacing the "Old guy".

I LOVE Jeff King as a player! He is a monster who can do it all. I figured him to be a first rounder. Do you think we could get him?

For what it's worth here's a little reality check for ya VA Tech fans courtesy of Scout's Inc./ESPN NFL Draft Insider...

Jeff King

TE | (6'4", 260, 4.85) | VIRGINIA TECH

Scouts Grade: 34

Strengths: Possesses adequate size. Plays with a mean streak and never gives up on blocks. Doesn't take many false steps and is generally a fundamentally sound in-line blocker. Takes good angles to blocks and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. Runs adequate short-to-intermediate routes and doesn't drop many passes that should catch. Has the wide frame to shield defenders from the ball, can make the tough catch in traffic and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Has good hand-eye coordination and excellent leaping ability. Blocked a kick at the collegiate level and should contribute on special teams. Played on basketball team at Virginia Tech.

Weaknesses: Does not show a second-gear when tracking the ball downfield. Is not much of a threat to stretch defenses vertically. While he runs with good power and is fluid, he lacks the elusiveness to consistently make defenders miss and the speed to out-run defenders after the catch. Does not possess ideal lower body strength and is not going to drive bigger defensive ends off the ball. Lacks ideal athletic ability and has some problems adjusting to the moving target at the second level.

Overall: Virginia Tech red-shirted King in 2001 and he appeared in 13 games while also making his first start in 2002. King started two of the 13 games he played in during the 2003 season and he started all 13 games in 2004. He caught 25 passes for 304 yards and four touchdowns on his way to being named second-team All-ACC in 2004. King, who also has doubled as a power-forward on the Hokies' basketball team, is a rising prospect with a solid combination of all-around skills. He has the potential to develop into a reliable short-to-intermediate possession receiver that can hold his own as a blocker and contribute on special teams. However, King is a better football player than he is an athlete, so he doesn't have a great deal of upside. In our opinion, King has enough character, work habits and toughness to contribute as a reserve in the NFL, which is why we grade him out as a late-round prospect in 2006.

Robert Royal is an average blocker. Kozlowski is 34 years old. Robert Johnson is a practice squad caliber player right now.

No, the Skins definitely DO need to find a veteran tight end that can help the Redskins win the battle at the point of attack.

I strongly agree with the poster here that is looking for us to add the Don Warren type blocker that we used to have, a guy that could block a DE or OLB one on one when necessary.

Archived