Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Brokeback Mountain' tops Oscar bets

Thiebear

Other than because Hollywood wants it to be, is there any reason why the 104th ranked movie (box office worldwide) should be considered "the best"?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051222/film_nm/leisure_oscars_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Gay and political films are dominating this year's Academy Awards race with some experts expecting that Oscar will wind up wearing pink, either for left-leaning politics or sexual preference.

ADVERTISEMENT

As Hollywood starts its annual awards season leading to the March 5 Oscars, key front-runners in main categories are either gay-themed or political films, with Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain," a drama of love between cowboys, leading the pack in the all-important best picture race.

"It could be the gay Oscars this year because gay-themed movies could win almost all the major awards," said Tom O'Neill, show business awards columnist for The Envelope.Com., referring to the sudden dominance "Brokeback Mountain" has gained so early in the race.

"'Brokeback' is going to be hard to beat. Rarely do we have this kind of award consensus for a movie, and its director (Taiwan's Ang Lee) is long overdue for an Oscar," O'Neill said.

"Brokeback," the first gay romance to make a bid for mainstream respectability, has already won the top awards handed out by critics in New York and Los Angeles and copped seven nominations for the January 16 Golden Globes, often a key indicator as to which way the Oscar wind might be blowing.

AND the one running against it is 106th?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2005&p=.htm

100 Beauty Shop MGM $37.2 $36.4 97.7% $874k 2.3%

101 Derailed Wein. $36.1 $35.8 99.2% $298k 0.8%

102 Just Friends NL $35.4 $32.2 91.0% $3.2 9.0%

103 Assault on Precinct 13 Rog. $35.0 $20.0 57.3% $14.9 42.7%

104 Brokeback Mountain Focus $34.7 $32.8 94.5% $1.9 5.5%

105 Bad News Bears Par. $34.2 $32.9 96.1% $1.3 3.9%

106 Munich Uni. $34.2 $34.2 100.0% n/a 0.0%

I'm such a peasant... I'm apparently too unenlightened to understand.

Edit: I guess in the above qoute about Gay Romance that the "BirdCage" which i think a ton of people saw and was a good movie was also nominated...

But i guess the above didnt think it a romance... who knows.

Well I didn't watch the movie, and I don't plan on to (seeing gay cowboys twice a year is enough) but I will say that to be considered the best it ought to be compared quality wise to other movies. I wouldn't consider ticket sales as a big factor of considering a movie great or otherwise. Munich is 106th, doesn't mean it isn't one of the best films out.

Hollywood and the freaking media is always going to push these gay movies down our throats. Oscar nominations? The movie has made 32,000,000 in 6 weeks that is a major flop! "Get Rich or Die Tryin" mad 30,000,000 and "Munich" has made 34,000,000 in less time. What about Narnia or Kong? How about Freaking "walk the line?" Those should get oscar nominations above "BrokeBack Mountain."

You know, it really doesn't make a difference to me one way or another what movies are nominated for or win Oscars. Which movies I watch is not predicated on whether or not they are nominated for or win awards.

My cynical side says all these awards are nothing more than marketing gimmicks by which Hollywood can advertise their movies.

Who cares really? Oscars should not be based on how much money a film makes. Like in music, they have the Grammys for the best quality(well I we can all laugh at that as nothing Top 40 is REALLY the best), and then they have the BILLBOARD music awards, that is strictly for what makes the most money. If the movie industry wants the big money making films to win awards, then they can make the billboard movie awards.

As far as brokeback mountain goes, I haven't seen it, not interested....not because of the gay storyline, but because it is a freaking chick flick, even if you swapped out one of the guys for a chick, I still wouldn't see it because it would still be a chick flick.

Brokeback Mountain is pretty much the biggest lock to win best picture, since I've been paying attention to these things. However, the best movies are often low on the box office chart. The best movie I saw this year was ranked # 180 on that box office list.

The thing I don't get about this, is something that all Redskin fans know. Cowboys are gay. There's always going to be homosexual subtext. But to just bring that out to forefront, just makes obvious what was implied by all other cowboy movies.

My mother ( who is not gay and hates gays in fact) actually saw the movie and liked it alot so this wired assumtion that you must be and support gays is totally odd due to my real life experince... besides has the highest grossing movie outside of titanic won alot of oscars in recent history. I dont see Star Wars winning more oscars than Schindlers list anytime soon ! Stars Wars has made more money than Schindlers List but does that mean its a better movie?

Also keep in mind that it is directed by Ang Lee, whom critics love and has already had 2 other movies nominated/win academy awards in the past 10 years. That will generally help a movie when it comes to oscar time, no matter the subject matter.

http://www.movie-reviews.colossus.net/reelthoughts.html

"Brokeback Mountain is going to win the Best Picture Oscar. This is a bigger lock than Titanic or The Return of the King. It's pointless to ask whether it deserves the recognition - that's not what Oscar victories (or nominations, for that matter) are about. But there are other issues swirling around Brokeback Mountain.

It's difficult to say anything critical about the film without the risk of being labeled as homophobic. But I think my record is strong enough that I don't have to worry about that. And I liked Brokeback Mountain, according it a *** rating. It's probably the best "gay cowboy" (to use the common lexicon) movie ever made, but to call it the best of 2005's class is to overrate it.

Many of those who have lauded Brokeback Mountain are sincere in their opinion, but I think there's something else going on here. Conservatives are up in arms about the movie, refusing to see it on the ground that it fails to demonize homosexuals. How anyone can criticize a movie without seeing it is beyond me, but that never stops anyone. But with the political right damning the film, the left has had a typical reaction. They have overpraised and overrated it. Liberals (which includes a huge chunk of Hollywood and many film critics) have jumped on board the Brokeback Mountain bandwagon, lionizing the production to a greater degree than it deserves.

The film isn't about homosexuality. It's about love and longing. It's about accepting a socially acceptable life rather than pursuing a passion. It's about lying to oneself and others. But all that stuff is getting lost in the fray. Brokeback Mountain is being praised or condemned because the main characters have a gay love affair.

Beneath it all, Brokeback Mountain is a good film, but not a great one. Other movies, such as The Bridges of Madison County and The Remains of the Day, both of which deal with similar subjects of longing and repressed passion, state their cases more powerfully and with greater poignancy. But those films feature male/female couplings. So it's the gay issue that sets Brokeback Mountain apart and, in my opinion, clouds people's judgement on both sides of the issue.

Would the film win Best Picture if it was about the doomed love affair between a strapping young lad and a rugged lass who was a socially unacceptable mate for him? They could not marry becuase of class barriers (or something similar), but their love for one another causes them to meet regularly over the years to keep their affair alive, even though they are married to others. It sounds almost trite, but that's the heterosexual version of Brokeback Mountain. And, while it might get some nice reviews, the Academy would most likely ignore it.

So, like it or not, Brokeback Mountain has become all about the gay issue, one of this nation's most polarizing themes. Homophobes will crusade against the movie, and the other side of the political spectrum will follow Newton's Third Law in the social arena. Lost in the process will be the actual movie - a sad love story that should have been able to stand on its own merits rather than on those forced upon it by outsiders."

-James Berardinelli

He's not the best writer in the film reviewing business, but I think he hit the nail on the head with this article.

I dont wanna see Brokeback mountain. It is just promoting an immoral lifestyle. I hate this hollywood craze of promoting this gay lifestyle. It makes me sick. I think Narnia was the best picture out there. It is first of all a great book and the movie addition captured it. I thought that Narnia was a classic. Let us see a good old family movie win the best picture for once!

Come on. I haven't seen brokeback mountain and don't really care to. But Narnia wasn't all that great. I'm a big fan of C.S. Lewis and the Narnia books, but there was nothing particularly good about this adaptation. The old cartoon was better. Andrew Adamson knows how to make a movie on a technical level, but he has no vision.

Even if you haven't seen anything except the blockbusters, you have to admit that King Kong was better.

I dont wanna see Brokeback mountain. It is just promoting an immoral lifestyle. I hate this hollywood craze of promoting this gay lifestyle. It makes me sick. I think Narnia was the best picture out there. It is first of all a great book and the movie addition captured it. I thought that Narnia was a classic. Let us see a good old family movie win the best picture for once!
I don't know if it's promoting it or not because I didn't watch, nor will I. As someone else wonderfully stated, seeing gay cowboys twice a year is plenty. In truth however I don't watch those slow moving dramas.....they bore me to death. There have been a lot of best picure nominated movies that I avoided.

Speaking of promoting a gay lifestyle, has anyone notice that MTV dating shows seem to be getting more and more gay? Every once in a while I have the wild idea that MTV might actually have a music video on but instead recently I find gay dating games instead. It's starting to get annoying.

If you want music videos - try Fuse (most of the time at least) or IMF if you can get it.

As for Brokeback Mountain - Ang Lee had a nice bounceback from Hulk huh? Haven't seen the film - but I heard it's a technically sound and a worthy movie of Best Film nomination.

And sorry, I just don't buy into the gay (jewish) conspiracy of Hollywood shoving (or preferring) homosexuality in movies. But I will stock up on Reynolds stock if I continue to see the tin foilers here mouth off.

;)

Lots of homophobia in this thread...

First of all; have any of you who are spouting this anti-gay hatred even seen the movie?? If not, then you don't have a leg to stand on. Of course most of you are so homophobic you wouldn't allow yourself to enjoy the film, even if it was the greatest movie ever made.

Second of all; the stupidest thing I've ever heard on this board is that Hollywood is somehow forcing the gay lifestyle upon us. I guess Hollywood reps showed up with guns at your house and dragged you to the theatre?? :rolleyes: They must have skipped my house.

Third; King Kong and Walk the Line will probably both get nominated. They just aren't the favorites.

Fourth; Since WHEN have the Oscars been about the box office?? That's a pretty silly statemen, loaded with homophobia. There are always at least 2 or 3 movies nominated for the major awards that did squat at the box office.

And if figures those who hate gays would push for Narnia as the best movie...:rolleyes:

I think the right wingers have a point on this one. From what I have read, Brokeback Mountain is not the best movie of the year, and the votes are being skewed. Probably not because of an explicit desire to promote homosexuality, but because Hollywood always assumes that a "socially conscious" movie is necessarily a great movie. Was there ever any question that Schindler's List would win the Best Movie Oscar? It would not have mattered if Citizen Kane and the Godfather were also nominated - Schindler's List would have won.

The best movie I saw last year was King Kong, even though it was stupidly over the top at times.

Other than because Hollywood wants it to be, is there any reason why the 104th ranked movie (box office worldwide) should be considered "the best"?

I remember an op-ed several years ago on that subject.

The author was claiming that, if you were to judge the news out of Hollywood based on the volume of news articles, Oscar nominations, and coctail-party chatter, you would be convinced that Pulp Fiction (which the author describes as "a film with several plot lines, but in which the primary plot involves the journy of two mob hit men and their efforts to wash the brains of a murder victim from the interior of their car") was the createst contribution to the cinema in it's entire history.

He claimed (and I agreed), that any person who attempted to claim that Hollywood was glorifying murder, sodomy, rape, and drugs, was a Neadnerthal book-burner, and that Hollywood was "simply delivering what the market wants."

But, he pointed out, Pulp Fiction wasn't the top selling movie of the year. It wasn't even in the top 20.

In fact, the author pointed out, of the 10 most profitable movies of that year, #1 was The Lion King, and 7 of the top 10 were rated G.

Now, I'll agree that the Oscars aren't supposed to be rated according to box office results. But the author does have a point that what's big in Hollywierd isn't necessarily big in Kansas City.

Archived