Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gerald Riggs

JoeKnowsBest

Gerald Riggs Jr, that is. The son of THE Gerald Riggs that played for Joe Gibbs. He's comming out for the draft this season and he's projected at around the 5th-6th round.

I watched him in college at Tennesee this year and this man won the game for Tennesee. If not for him, they would have lost. He showed tremendous power and heart. He ran the ball like Walter Payton, always finishing it off and breaking tackles. I'm thinkin he could be short yardage back we need. Plus he already has strong ties to Joe Gibbs thanks to his father.

And Rock's contract is up. Riggs can be had for a lesser price if he goes where he's projected in the draft, and we wouldn't have to spend a high pick on him. To me, he's a major sleeper. And until he's called upon, he can play special teams and whip up on other special teams. He's got the heart and determination that those kinds of players need.

Plus Betts contract is up after next year.

So the question is, should we draft Gerald Riggs if we have the chance?

I say ABSOLUTELY! It would be good for the team in the long run, and I know he can get the short yardage better than any of the backs we've seen play this year.

We gotta keep the family tree in the family!

That's an interesting idea, though I think I would rather have Rock, given that we know for sure what we have in place now. If, however, he wants to go elsewhere to be a primary backup, or even the featured back, sure, lets go for Riggs. I have no problem with that at all.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Gerald%20Riggs

Pros: Very powerful between the tackles, has an excellent burst to the hole, great size, has good enough agility to elude defenders yet runs over defenders easily, seems like a worsehorse back

Cons: Suffered a season-ending injury on his knee that should affect his status (might not be ready for workouts), lacks blazing speed, only 1/2 full year starting (Junior 2004 year was backup to Cedric Houston), is not really a good receiver out of the backfield

Well, you might need to draft one at some point because Betts will be gone at the end of this upcoming season. He's looking for a featured back position. And he should, I think he's put in his time as a reserve. But he's going to have to straighten out his injury bug problem he seems to have almost every year before he gets paid like a featured back.

We NEED a power back almost as much as we need O-Line depth. I hated watching Clinton POrtis in there on 3rd and short's...

Could you imagine the score of most of our losses if we had a POWER back (230lbs +) plowing behind our oline?

Could you imagine if Manuel White (may his Football Career RIP) was healthy? Lord...

I thought Betts was the answer... He may be. But Betts, Rock, or Nemo has to go... That space should be filled with a PEDIGREE SEC power back... Riggs would be PERFECT. Actually I wouldnt mind Ciatrick Fason (U FL) who is playing for Minnesota either...

But anyway, I still think we shoulda drafted Lionel Dalton (Louisville) last year (went to Buffalo)...

Gibbs FOR Life!!!

We NEED a power back almost as much as we need O-Line depth. I hated watching Clinton POrtis in there on 3rd and short's...

Could you imagine the score of most of our losses if we had a POWER back (230lbs +) plowing behind our oline?

Could you imagine if Manuel White (may his Football Career RIP) was healthy? Lord...

I thought Betts was the answer... He may be. But Betts, Rock, or Nemo has to go... That space should be filled with a PEDIGREE SEC power back... Riggs would be PERFECT. Actually I wouldnt mind Ciatrick Fason (U FL) who is playing for Minnesota either...

But anyway, I still think we shoulda drafted Lionel Dalton (Louisville) last year (went to Buffalo)...

Gibbs FOR Life!!!

I agree with you. And this Manuel White guy... I don't think I've ever even heard of him! He had to have been cut last preseason.

Gerald Riggs is as good a power back as you're going to find in the draft, OR free agency, barring Jamal Lewis if he's released.

Archived