Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.dcrtv.org - 106.7 Severs Ties To Skins Go Red Zebra!

NorthEast Skin

www.dcrtv.org

106.7 Severs Ties To Skins - 1/18 - WJFK-FM afternoon man Don Geronimo said on the air Wednesday that his CBS/Infinity talk station has officially cut ties with the Redskins, which have been aired on 106.7 for the past two decades. No more Skins updates featuring Skins-employed Larry Michael. No more mentions of the team at all, including station promos. Geronimo did say that the station still runs station-produced generic "NFL updates" for sponsors whose contracts date back to the station's pro football era. There's still no word about where the Redskins will air next season, but team owner Daniel Snyder has created a Red Zebra broadcasting arm, which may buy several DC area radio stations now owned by Mega, or buy time on other stations, a la Clear Channel's SportsTalk 980, WTEM.....

I'm not sure if that is such a bad thing per se.Sort of like the YES network for the Yankees in a way.

I tell you what.Folks balekd at the NFL Network in the beginning but its the only thing I look at now.Snyder sems to be taking a cue from Manchester United and having all the team news/imagery go thru the Skins filter first.

Whoever broadcasts the Skins will almost certainly not change the Sonny, Sam, and Larry lineup (don't know if that's good or bad). The reality of today's NFL is that the team has to make the most money it can from its product. That's good for us because Snyder pours so much of this money back into the team. Having so much cash gives us an advantage over about 4/5 of the other teams.

www.dcrtv.org

106.7 Severs Ties To Skins - 1/18 - WJFK-FM afternoon man Don Geronimo said on the air Wednesday that his CBS/Infinity talk station has officially cut ties with the Redskins, which have been aired on 106.7 for the past two decades. No more Skins updates featuring Skins-employed Larry Michael. No more mentions of the team at all, including station promos. Geronimo did say that the station still runs station-produced generic "NFL updates" for sponsors whose contracts date back to the station's pro football era. There's still no word about where the Redskins will air next season, but team owner Daniel Snyder has created a Red Zebra broadcasting arm, which may buy several DC area radio stations now owned by Mega, or buy time on other stations, a la Clear Channel's SportsTalk 980, WTEM.....

they make it sound as if they kicked the Redskins to the curb :) - I believe it's the other way around.

My wish is really out-of-the-box. I'd like to see XM Satellite Radio become the flagship of the Redskins Radio Network. XM is already the Exclusive Satellite Radio Partner of the Redskins. Now bear with my idea. A local (or more than one) FM or AM terrestrial stations could become an affiliate, assuring the DC metro area of hearing the broadcast without having to purchase satellite radio. XM would also circumvent Sirius' deal with the NFL and at least have one NFL game per week. XM would then be able to get their name on the Sirius airwaves. This is not out of the realm of possibility. Sirius got their name on the XM airwaves by sponsoring the "Sirius at the Glen," a NASCAR race held at Watkins Glen in New York. XM is just beginning to broadcast a couple of channels in 5.1 surround. Do you think Mr. Snyder would like to have his broadcast quality be the class and envy of the NFL? XM could offer the Redskins the benefit of a growing subscription base plus advertising money (the same reason MNF is heading to ESPN). Sounds good to me.

I went to look at a house in Atlanta and on their Comcast the Falcons have their own Channel 24 hours of nothing but Atlanta Falcons...Hopefully the Danny will have something like that here!!!!

I think the NFL is eliminating that channel. The Cowboys had one too. I believe NFL Network is supposed to add more team content in return for the teams not having their own TV networks.

EDIT: Yep, I found it. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2023696

Owners' vote gets 30-1 approvalAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- NFL owners have voted to disband regional networks run by the Dallas Cowboys and Atlanta Falcons.

In return, the teams will get items for local use from the networks, which conducts shows that include all 32 coaches.

The decision was made at last week's meetings in Maui, Sports Business Journal reported Monday. It was approved by a vote of 30-1 with one abstention.

The NFL Network began broadcasting in late 2003 and has had increasing control in recent months in broadcasting league events, ranging from announcements of the Hall of Fame vote to live news conferences from league meetings.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue had previously placed a moratorium on adding regional networks, although the Cowboys were allowed to keep running theirs because it had already started. The new league move does not "grandfather" in networks only in existence.

Jerry Jones Jr., the club's vice president of marketing, said the Cowboys support the resolution.

"We are working with Comcast and the NFL to determine how and where to broadcast that content in the future," he said. "Those potential options include designated windows of exclusive Cowboys programming on the NFL Network and full-time access to video on demand options through Comcast."

I went to look at a house in Atlanta and on their Comcast the Falcons have their own Channel 24 hours of nothing but Atlanta Falcons...Hopefully the Danny will have something like that here!!!!

If he does, I'm moving closer. Or B, I'll just lie to Direct TV and give them a DC address.

You have no idea how lucky you are not living in PA!! :mad:

www.dcrtv.org

106.7 Severs Ties To Skins - 1/18 - WJFK-FM afternoon man Don Geronimo said on the air Wednesday that his CBS/Infinity talk station has officially cut ties with the Redskins, which have been aired on 106.7 for the past two decades. QUOTE]

:bsflag:

The Skins moved from WMAL AM630 to WJFK 106.7 in 1995.

The past two decades makes it sound like 20 years.....when in fact it's been only 11 years that WJFK has had the broadcasts.

Now just bring back Frank and let Larry Michael stick to doing locker room interviews on Redskins.com tv.

:bsflag:

The Skins moved from WMAL AM630 to WJFK 106.7 in 1995.

The past two decades makes it sound like 20 years.....when in fact it's been only 11 years that WJFK has had the broadcasts.

Now just bring back Frank and let Larry Michael stick to doing locker room interviews on Redskins.com tv.

I was just about to point this out, but you beat me to it.

Sirius has the NFL contracts.

Bull****s I say to that though. The Sirius radio units don't hold a candle to xm2go.

Their equipment may suck but their lineup smacks Xm like a little b@##%h

NFL Radio, Stern 100 and 101, I have both (Xm is free for the first 3 months on my wife's new car) XM can't hold a candle. Plus you can get all the skins games on Sirius both broadcast perspectives as well.

Please be someone with a STRONG SIGNAL!

i am so with you on this one . i enjoy listening to the home broadcast while in the stadium but 106.7 came in horrible. i tried 3 different radio's and they all had no reception. i was thinkingabout writing a letter to dan to maybe put up a better antenna or something. but this new station might have better reception.

so does this mean no more generic Larry Micheal on redskins.com tv and the games?

Unfortunately, as long as Snyder is around Larry Michael will have whatever broadcasting job that he wants in the organization. It's sad that the almost unanimous public preference is for Herzog to be reunited with Sonny and Sam but this putz Michael continues to do the broadcasts. It pains me to watch him on Redskins.com tv.......the content is a million times better than the delivery and on air personality. Snyder could score so many points with the fans by putting Herzog back on the air.

Archived