Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

That Ref who blew the call in Indy....

Westbrook36

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5257526

NFL referee Pete Morelli is having a rough week.

On Sunday, Morelli made one of the more controversial calls in NFL history, overturning what appeared to be an interception by the Steelers' Troy Polamalu. On Monday, his Stockton, Calif. home was vandalized, according to police reports.

Lieutenant Thomas Wells of the Stockton Police Department told FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer that a police report was filed after a rock was thrown through Morelli's living room window late Monday night after Morelli and his wife had gone to bed. Lt. Wells emphasized that police had no suspect and no motive in the case and could not say with any degree of certainty whether the act of vandalism was related to Sunday's call.

"We are aware of the situation and we're cooperating with police in any way we can," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

On Monday, the NFL admitted that Morelli had erred when he used instant replay to overturn the interception. Mike Pereira, the league's VP of officiating, said in a statement that the call on the field should have stood.

"He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch," Pereira said. "Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble."

Fortunately for Morelli — and the Steelers — while the botched call allowed the Colts to eventually pull within a field goal, it ultimately did not play any role in the outcome of the game, which Pittsburgh won, 21-18.

What a bunch of crap. The guy made a mistake. The right team won. People are a bunch of *******.

What a bunch of crap. The guy made a mistake. The right team won. People are a bunch of *******.

The right team DID win, WB. However, I firmly believe something was rotten in Indy that day. The NFL did NOT want the Steelers to win that game. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but somebody pretty powerful had a bug in Morelli's ear. I'm not saying Morelli is dirty, but I'm saying loudly and proudly that the NFL was down 'n' dirty on that day. Even a referee would not have used the logic that Morelli did on that call and maybe 2 others.

The right team DID win, WB. However, I firmly believe something was rotten in Indy that day. The NFL did NOT want the Steelers to win that game. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but somebody pretty powerful had a bug in Morelli's ear. I'm not saying Morelli is dirty, but I'm saying loudly and proudly that the NFL was down 'n' dirty on that day. Even a referee would not have used the logic that Morelli did on that call and maybe 2 others.

Yup...and the reviews are supposed to take 90 seconds, max, BY RULE. If the refs cannot see conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field in those 90 seconds, then the call on the field must stand, BY RULE. The Polamalu interception call was reviewed for way more than 90 seconds, another violation of NFL rules. Something stinks about that whole situation. I'm just glad that Vandershank missed that FG and sealed the Steelers' win. Morelli should be fired.

I don't agree with vandalizing his house, though...that's just stupid.

Yup...and the reviews are supposed to take 90 seconds, max, BY RULE. If the refs cannot see conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field in those 90 seconds, then the call on the field must stand, BY RULE. The Polamalu interception call was reviewed for way more than 90 seconds, another violation of NFL rules. Something stinks about that whole situation. I'm just glad that Vandershank missed that FG and sealed the Steelers' win. Morelli should be fired.

I don't agree with vandalizing his house, though...that's just stupid.

yep... they reviewed the play long enough for p.tags to call in and weigh in on the matter.

on the subject matter of the thread, while i love the skins and football in general, some people need to re-evaluate their lives if they feel the need to resort to intimidation and violence based on a FREAKIN GAME.

and yeah, i get the irony that a guy with thousands of posts on a football message board is asking other people to re-evaluate priorities :).

While it is obvious he blew the call, acts like this are despicable and the perpetrator needs to be apprehended.

On a side note, I saw another article about this incident and noticed:

A vandal hurled a grapefruit-sized boulder through a plate-glass window in Morelli's Stockton, Calif., home at about 10 p.m. Monday, according to Stockton Police Lt. Thomas Wells.

A grapefruit-sized boulder? By definition, isn't a boulder alot larger than grapefruit-sized?

While it is obvious he blew the call, acts like this are despicable and the perpetrator needs to be apprehended.

On a side note, I saw another article about this incident and noticed:

A grapefruit-sized boulder? By definition, isn't a boulder alot larger than grapefruit-sized?

Yeah, really...where I come from, that would be a rock...a boulder is about the size of your car. :laugh:

Did you guys read the AP report? It turns out that the fans that vandalized the ref's house were trained at the Stinc by Philthy scumbags. They're releasing a video, looks very similiar to the videos you see of al qaeda's training camps, but it has Philthy fans demonstrating how to throw batteries at Santa, hurl beer at Clinton Portis' mom, cheer when Irvin is thought to break his neck, shove a crippled man down a ramp b/c he has the wrong team's jersey on, pummel Chief Z. The video ends with a how-to-guide on throwing bricks through windows.

Archived