Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time To Fess Up on Campbell/Rogers Boys

rvan1

I was dead wrong last April.

So far in their early careers, Campbell and Rogers have made Joe Gibbs, Vinny Cerato, and Dan Sndyer look really sharp. Rogers, who brings so much D at his position that he doesn't need to put one in his name, was clearly the best pick of the 3 top-tiered cbs, despite not being as publicized as PacWoman Jones with his awesome shoulder tap tackles or Antrel Rolle who spent much of the year either injured or figuring out why hes not as good as Samari. And while Campbell is untested and really unproved by any NFL standard, all the words out of Redskins park regarding his ability, potential, and work ethic seem to be sparkling.

With that said, how did you react to the draft last april? For one, I was really upset we didnt take Mike Williams at the time, as I felt he was a GIFT to fall that low. Then, I was also upset when we traded a 1st and a 2nd rounder for a low first rounder to take Campbell. But, I willingly eat crow on this one. We did great last year and hopefully we do as well this year.

What were your thoughts last april?

How can you eat crow on Campbell if he hasn't played? I'm for the kid, but gosh don't go telling me his a franchise QB until he steps on the field. :D

i think just based on his progress thus far. sure, he has no real game experience, but there have been nothing but postive things surrounding him since hes been a redskin.

And while Campbell is untested and really unproved by any NFL standard, all the words out of Redskins park regarding his ability, potential, and work ethic seem to be sparkling.

Weren't they saying the same thing about Taylor Jacobs?

I'm not gonna believe anything i hear about this guy until he is on the field in the regular season.

Remember all the hype for Alex Smith? What happened to him this season?

Campbell's progress? How exactly are you measuring that? From team sources? They say the same thing about everybody.

All we've heard about for the last 4 years is Ramsey's ability, potential, and work ethic. He's a great guy for sure, but the results are not on the field.

A little bit of patience, grasshopper.

Weren't they saying the same thing about Taylor Jacobs?

I'm not gonna believe anything i hear about this guy until he is on the field in the regular season.

Remember all the hype for Alex Smith? What happened to him this season?

he was on the Niners, no one could have succeeded there last season.

With that said, how did you react to the draft last april? For one, I was really upset we didnt take Mike Williams at the time, as I felt he was a GIFT to fall that low. Then, I was also upset when we traded a 1st and a 2nd rounder for a low first rounder to take Campbell. But, I willingly eat crow on this one. We did great last year and hopefully we do as well this year.

Haha, ditto. But I don't feel that bad. This is what Gibbs and Co. get paid the big bucks to do. My only job is to sit down and cheer.

You draft on potential and the Campbell pick was made based on Gibbs & Co.'s belief in that potential. Which QB at pick #25 (or whatever) this year would you take? Would that QB have brought the qualities Campbell brings to the table? I've heard nothing but great things about Campbell. If Jay Cutler is taken after pick #25 and is better than Campbell, then it was a lousy move. My sense is that Campbell will slide comfortably into the starting QB role next year or in '07 and we'll all be very pleased with the pick, but that story has yet to be told.

As for Rogers, it was pretty clear even during the draft that the Redskins were highest on him (of the three CBs) because he's the most physical. Jones wound up being something of a headcase and undersized (although I liked him at WVU) and Rolle was hurt, so it's unfair to judge him. In all, I thought we did quite well. I might have taken Merriman over Rogers, but Rogers showed that he might just be the shutdown corner we thought we were getting. If early indications bear that out, he was an excellent pick and goody for us that he fell to #9 last year.

I really wanted Mike Williams as well, and honestly, with the situation the way it was in detroit, and the horrible production we got out of the 2nd receiver slot, maybe we wouldve been better off with Mike Williams(who knows how well he would've played here). But, we also needed a corner, and I am very glad we took Rogers, I like him better than the two taken before him, and though he was injured a lot this year like Rolle, I really love the way he plays. I am glad we traded up for a qb if we want him to start this year, but feel if he rides the pine again this year then it is starting to border on wasteful. But I agree with everyone else, I like Campbell but he has proven nothing, though I hope he is annointed the starter in training camp.

I guess they've been glowing about Jacobs?

I take Gibbs at his word.

Actually, yes they have. Go back and read all the offseason articles and what not and you will see nothing about glowing reviews for Jacobs. Not just from Gibbs, but from Moss, Springs, etc. They all say he's the most uncoverable guy in practice, hard worker, etc. Then he sucks on game day. Tough guy to figure out.

chaz13 makes an important point: if you draft a QB this year, he has to spend a whole season learning what Campbell presumably already knows now. I won't go so far to say that Campbell riding the pine in 2006 means it was a wasted pick, though; that would likely mean that Brunell was healthy and performing at a high level. As unforeseeable as that was when we drafted Campbell, it remains a possibility. Bringing Campbell along slowly is only an advantage for the Redskins.

I think a lot of people are like me in that it wasn't a matter of questioning the Redskins draft choices.It is more an issue what was given up to get in position to take Campbell.In the long run maybe it was worth it.Hopefully,Jason will be so good none of this will even be an issue.

I was dead wrong last April.

So far in their early careers, Campbell and Rogers have made Joe Gibbs, Vinny Cerato, and Dan Sndyer look really sharp. Rogers, who brings so much D at his position that he doesn't need to put one in his name, was clearly the best pick of the 3 top-tiered cbs, despite not being as publicized as PacWoman Jones with his awesome shoulder tap tackles or Antrel Rolle who spent much of the year either injured or figuring out why hes not as good as Samari. And while Campbell is untested and really unproved by any NFL standard, all the words out of Redskins park regarding his ability, potential, and work ethic seem to be sparkling.

What were your thoughts last april?

I pretty much felt the same as you at the time of the draft and I still wished that we would have taken Mike Williams but Rogers has held his own and so far we have gotten the best of this pick. However, I still that Mike Williams can and will be a star in this league but bad things seem to happen to gifted players who go to Detroit.

As for the trade with Denver, I also didnt like at the time because I didnt think we could make the playoffs and we would be handing Denver a high pick. As it turned out we would have been drafting at about the same position this year as where we picked Jason Campbell last year so we really just traded the fourth round pick to draft a year early. I also didnt like the pick b/c I think Ramsey will be a big time QB somewhere and all of us will be talking about it for years. Ramsey hasnt been consistent but he has shown the flashes of brilliance in his brief playing time that the great ones show. If Jason Cambell turns out to be a great QB, we trade Ramsey for a high pick and Ramsey turns out to be an average at best NFL QB, then this was a great trade. If Jason Cambell flops or is just an average NFL QB, we trade Ramsey for a mid round or lower pick and He goes on to have a great NFL career then this was a horrid trade so only time will tell...

This will be a good thread to review 3 years from now.

Think of it like this... if we didn't draft Rogers, Walt Harris would have been the unquestioned #2 cornerback, and Ade Jimoh would have started against Tampa in the playoffs. I don't think there can really be any argument against drafting Rogers at this point.

And with Ramsey apparently out of here quite soon, I think it has been essential to groom a young quarterback. It appears that Campbell could be the best QB in the 2005 draft (based primarilly on the fact that none of the other quarterbacks, bar possibly Charlie Frye, played well at all in their rookie seasons), and I have faith in our coaching staff to make this kid a very very solid starting quarterback in this league.

While I had nothing against Rogers and Campbell as players, I admit I did feel we ****ed up and should have drafted Mike Williams and not traded for Campbell at all.

Looking back, having Williams at the #2 would have helped but he didn't do much this year anyway, and we needed Rogers with all our CB injuries.

And the jury is still out on Campbell.

I wouldn't say we drafted a couple HOF-ers just yet. Again, I never had anything against these players and always felt they could be quality, I'm glad they are on our team though.

Palmer rode the pines two years behind Kitna at Cincy. Lookit him now. I hope he recovers 150% next year.

Gibbs is high on Campbell. And we all know how JJG can pick a QB :cool:

Palmer was only benched for his rookie year. He played last year.

For his gamelog for last year (which wasn't too shabby):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?statsId=6337&year=2004

Being dead honest, i thought it was a great draft as far as the first round goes, not much after that. I'm really excited to see what nemo can do and i was extremely impressed with our future star rogers.

Thirdly, I can't wait to see what campbell can do and im most excited about him. I really hope he EARNS the starting roll in training camp.

Archived